Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd say it's a pressure thing more than a playoff thing. The Reds pitchers haven't been in a lot of playoffs races and haven't had the responsibility of closing out games. Getting a guy who has been in playoff races and has closed out plenty of games adds a type of pressure experience the Reds might need.
    I don't see how Broxton being the bullpen makes Chapman better prepared for closing games in October. With the exception that maybe he'll be more rested because Broxton can save a game if Chapman has pitched too many in a row, but that has nothing to do with postseason expierence.

Adam Wainwright had no expierence as a closer and closed out all 3 of the Cardinals series when they won the World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't see how Broxton being the bullpen makes Chapman better prepared for closing games in October. With the exception that maybe he'll be more rested because Broxton can save a game if Chapman has pitched too many in a row, but that has nothing to do with postseason expierence.

Adam Wainwright had no expierence as a closer and closed out all 3 of the Cardinals series when they won the World Series.
    I don't think anyone's saying the current crew can't do the job, just that the Reds are bringing in Broxton in case nerves become an issue. And I didn't say anything about this making Chapman better or worse prepared, largely because I don't think it makes a difference.

Yet it does deepen the experience in the bullpen. As you mentioned, Broxton represents an opportunity not to ride whip hand on Chapman. And he means fewer late game pressure appearances for Ondrusek, Lecure and Arredondo. And, perhaps, a little off Marshall's workload too. He gives the team another option for tough RHBs late in a game (e.g. Matt Kemp or Andrew McCutchen).

Broxton's a guy the Reds are going to feel comfortable with getting big outs at the end of ballgames. Obviously that comfort level is going to rise and fall with his performance, but it's not exactly a revolutionary or crazy idea to add an experienced arm at the end of the bullpen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The bro ritual
    Hands arc across the heavens
    Highest of high fives
    Nice....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The Huffington Post put on their sports page a piece on the top 10 moves at the trade deadline. Our move was set at #8:

Jonathan Broxton joins an already-stacked Reds bullpen: Cincinnati went ahead and addressed the least of their needs, adding the Kansas City closer to a bullpen that already leads the majors with a 2.66 ERA. But if you're a strong believer in never having too much of a good thing, it's a solid move.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Huffington Post put on their sports page a piece on the top 10 moves at the trade deadline. Our move was set at #8:

Jonathan Broxton joins an already-stacked Reds bullpen: Cincinnati went ahead and addressed the least of their needs, adding the Kansas City closer to a bullpen that already leads the majors with a 2.66 ERA. But if you're a strong believer in never having too much of a good thing, it's a solid move.

Ya now, I think perhaps this signing was made with the idea that the team has had really good fortune with the starting rotation to this point and that as the season wears on, MAYBE shorten the outings of the starting five...just a thought.

ALSO

I was looking at the roster and noticed that Mr Broxton is listed at 300LBS! Dude is 6' 4" and 300LBS...and a pitcher...3-0-0 LARGE!!! Does the man drink buttermilk with every meal or what?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Whatever the intention of this move, I suspect it is going to play out to be more about freeing up LeCure to fill in as a starter than about giving Chapman help in the closer role.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Ya now, I think perhaps this signing was made with the idea that the team has had really good fortune with the starting rotation to this point and that as the season wears on, MAYBE shorten the outings of the starting five...just a thought.

ALSO

I was looking at the roster and noticed that Mr Broxton is listed at 300LBS! Dude is 6' 4" and 300LBS...and a pitcher...3-0-0 LARGE!!! Does the man drink buttermilk with every meal or what?
    Wow! Wouldn't you think they'd put it at 290 or something?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Nicknames for Broxton

1) Tonage
    2) Round Mound
    3) Butterball
    4) ...?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Nicknames for Broxton

1) Tonage
    2) Round Mound
    3) Butterball
    4) ...?
    Broxtons of Fun

Wikipedia says Dodgers fans nicknamed him "Fat Hobo", which isn't very nice...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well......he isn't named Brox-TON for nothing.

Badda bing badda boom!

Big Red Smoky
    Broxtonasaurus
    Megaton
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Mongo.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Big Daddy looked great tonight.

Turn Off Ads?