Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The difference between Coffey and Broxton is that Coffey jiggles when he runs. Broxton is overweight, but his big rear and thick legs are more his natural build. He's just a very big person. Sure, he's not winning any BMI contests, but he appears to be in better shape than Coffey with his man boobs.
    Right. Coffey's belly probably hangs over his belt buckle and its got to negatively impact his athleticism. Broxton on the other hand could be a defensive lineman. Dramatically different scouting reports for guys who likely have similar BMIs.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post

Just gonna throw it out there again...
    That's insulting to Alex Karras.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Here is a comparison, using Pitch F/X for Broxton at his peak (2009) to now
    Code:
    Pitch	Year	Velo	Vert	Horiz	Spin Angle	Spin Rate	Value per 100 pitches
    FB	2009	97.5	10.49	-4.18	   201	          2398	         1.42
    FB	2012	94.9	 8.09	-4.11	   206	          1922	         0.66
    SL	2009	88.1	 2.01	 2.35	   126	           723	         3.65
    SL	2012	87.5	 0.66	 2.24	   121	           586	        -1.08
    Fastball
    Clearly the biggest difference here is the velocity. 2.5 MPH on average is a rather big difference. His run on the pitch is nearly identical, but he is getting less rise in his fastball now, which may explain some of the extra groundballs he is now getting compared to before.

Slider
    The velocity is pretty close, only about half a MPH on average difference, which really is negligible. The biggest difference in the vertical movement of his slider. It actually has more "sink" to it now than it used to, and ideally you would think on a slider, that would be good. But in this case, it hasn't worked out that way. I used TexasLeaguers.com Pitch F/X tool on this one, so I don't have access to this, but I would be interested in seeing the average location of his slider between the two years.

In 2009, at his height, Broxton had two plus pitches to work with and it was why he was one of the best relievers in the game. In 2012 thus far, he has an above average fastball but that is about it as his slider is a below average pitch at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Right. Coffey's belly probably hangs over his belt buckle and its got to negatively impact his athleticism. Broxton on the other hand could be a defensive lineman. Dramatically different scouting reports for guys who likely have similar BMIs.
    Maybe Broxton just has a uniform that fits a little bit better than Coffey's:

"The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Ya know, I'm not in the best shape in the world so I can't say too much about anyone else. But I've always thought there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for someone who makes their living as a professional athlete to be that overweight.

I remember sitting in the diamond seats back in 2004 and I was probably 10 feet away from D'Angelo Jiminez in the on deck circle. I remember looking at him and seeing a gut and a guy who didn't look to be in good shape at all. I thought here was a guy with all the talent in the world and is trying to carve out a career in the major leagues and is struggling to live up to his potential. How in the world can a guy like that be in such obviously poor shape?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    However, Broxton needs a nickname.
    He's had one for most all of his career.. Jonathan "The Bull" Broxton.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I wish the Nationals would wear those hats regularly.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Why is he pitching in Capri pants? Those things go halfway up his shins..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Why is he pitching in Capri pants? Those things go halfway up his shins..
    He clearly lost a bet.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is a comparison, using Pitch F/X for Broxton at his peak (2009) to now
    Code:
    Pitch	Year	Velo	Vert	Horiz	Spin Angle	Spin Rate	Value per 100 pitches
    FB	2009	97.5	10.49	-4.18	   201	          2398	         1.42
    FB	2012	94.9	 8.09	-4.11	   206	          1922	         0.66
    SL	2009	88.1	 2.01	 2.35	   126	           723	         3.65
    SL	2012	87.5	 0.66	 2.24	   121	           586	        -1.08
    Fastball
    Clearly the biggest difference here is the velocity. 2.5 MPH on average is a rather big difference. His run on the pitch is nearly identical, but he is getting less rise in his fastball now, which may explain some of the extra groundballs he is now getting compared to before.

Slider
    The velocity is pretty close, only about half a MPH on average difference, which really is negligible. The biggest difference in the vertical movement of his slider. It actually has more "sink" to it now than it used to, and ideally you would think on a slider, that would be good. But in this case, it hasn't worked out that way. I used TexasLeaguers.com Pitch F/X tool on this one, so I don't have access to this, but I would be interested in seeing the average location of his slider between the two years.

In 2009, at his height, Broxton had two plus pitches to work with and it was why he was one of the best relievers in the game. In 2012 thus far, he has an above average fastball but that is about it as his slider is a below average pitch at this point.
    The slider he struck out Kotsay on last night was butt ugly, so I have one affirmative observation that matches the data.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    He's had one for most all of his career.. Jonathan "The Bull" Broxton.
    So can we now call him "Red Bull"?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Ya know, I'm not in the best shape in the world so I can't say too much about anyone else. But I've always thought there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for someone who makes their living as a professional athlete to be that overweight.

I remember sitting in the diamond seats back in 2004 and I was probably 10 feet away from D'Angelo Jiminez in the on deck circle. I remember looking at him and seeing a gut and a guy who didn't look to be in good shape at all. I thought here was a guy with all the talent in the world and is trying to carve out a career in the major leagues and is struggling to live up to his potential. How in the world can a guy like that be in such obviously poor shape?
    I get what you're saying, but there are fat guys in all the professional sports that play the games pretty well. A lot of guys are in perfect shape and sit the bench. Isn't performance a bigger issue than whether or not they flatter the uniform? Some guys lose their effectiveness after "getting in better shape." I wonder if Prince Fielder or CC Sabathia would be able to do their job if they focused on their conditioning? They might have to spend so much effort trying to "get in better shape" that their hitting or pitching might suffer.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I wish the Nationals would wear those hats regularly.
    That picture gets posted.....and your comment is about the HAT??!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Pirates game tonight.

94, 95, 96, 96 ........groundball double play.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Turn Off Ads?