Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

One reason I would not have been upset about the Reds trading Broxton prior to July 31 was the fact that he (and Simon) were perfect sell-high candidates. Broxton won't have a .175 BABIP against for the rest of his career (including this year his career BABIP against is .300).

Sure, Broxton is a useful reliever, but if the Reds could have acquiried another good player who makes less money, the Reds could maybe have enough money to upgrade LF.

I am less worried about having a good set-up guy than I am having a good LF. I wouldn't want to just give Broxton away, but if he could have been "sold high," I would have supported Walt in making that move.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    One reason I would not have been upset about the Reds trading Broxton prior to July 31 was the fact that he (and Simon) were perfect sell-high candidates. Broxton won't have a .175 BABIP against for the rest of his career (including this year his career BABIP against is .300).

Sure, Broxton is a useful reliever, but if the Reds could have acquiried another good player who makes less money, the Reds could maybe have enough money to upgrade LF.

I am less worried about having a good set-up guy than I am having a good LF. I wouldn't want to just give Broxton away, but if he could have been "sold high," I would have supported Walt in making that move.
    With Broxton, the Reds overpaid for "proven". If they could've gotten someone else to also overpay for proven, it would've been something worth considering.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    With Broxton, the Reds overpaid for "proven". If they could've gotten someone else to also overpay for proven, it would've been something worth considering.
    I agree, jojo. I will not criticize the Reds for not moving Broxton at the deadline because there is a good chance no other teams were willing to give up a decent piece for Broxton (and his contract).

I just hope that the Reds' overpayment for certain pieces in the bullpen does not cause them to sacrifice in left field again. The Reds need to upgrade LF and monwy is one way to upgrade LF. Hopefully Walt sees how big of a problem LF is currently and will be again in 2015 if no moves are made.

Still waiting for that vaunted Broxton regression to happen that the advanced stats have been predicting for years

6. Likes:

Hubba (08-09-2014),jimbo (08-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Still waiting for that vaunted Broxton regression to happen that the advanced stats have been predicting for years
    You're not very good at this, are you?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (08-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You're not very good at this, are you?
    What's that you said in another thread? "Stay on topic, please."

But personal attacks are nothing new for you, are they now?

Turn Off Ads?