Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Broxton

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Reds Acquire Broxton

JC Sulbaran AND Donnie Joseph is too much. I no longer approve of this deal.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Broxton is all the reds got at the deadline at this price then u have to look at this as a failure. Cant say im surprised

takealeake

Shocker, everyone will think the Reds gave up too much for a bunch of no name minor leaguers that people have in their heads could be the next Maddux.

Yeah we've seen how much this has ever come to fruition on pitchers going either to or from the Reds.

Signed,
    Zach Stewart 2014 AL Cy Young
    and
    Brandon Claussen, eligible for the Hall of Fame in three years after an illustrious sure fire career.

You figure people would wait and see how the trade pans out before looking stupid for the, what, 20th time now?

Every Reds pick-up is a failure? Not every great minor league player pans out. Unless we were playing for the Minor League World Series...than yep, fleeced again.

BTW, just looked up Donnie Josephs's numbers. I assume he is a reliever. Would anyone here want him in the pen over Broxton? I'm guessing no.

heck we could have had pence for that haul SF gave up there #5 and #19 best prospect and got cash with him and gave up a complaining OF when we gave up our #5 and #7 prospect for a setup guy.......I'm not getting this

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    Every Reds pick-up is a failure? Not every great minor league player pans out. Unless we were playing for the Minor League World Series...than yep, fleeced again.

BTW, just looked up Donnie Josephs's numbers. I assume he is a reliever. Would anyone here want him in the pen over Broxton? I'm guessing no.
    No, but I was wanting him to replace Bray.

Tom Groesschen reports: "Broxton for Sulbaran and Joseph. Redmond up, Bray to dl (back). Brackman DFA (was with Bakersfield)" on Twitter.

So, does this mean that Redmond fills the spot until Broxton joins the team later this week? Or is someone else shipping out?

Remember deals only have to be completed before the 4 p.m. deadline -- not announced.

My guess is Redmond is here for a game to help the tired bullpen, then will be shipped back to Louisville when Broxton arrives.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

I assume Walt knows that Masset is done for the year, so he was looking for the depth in the pen that you need to go deep into October.

I like the bullpen depth. If gives us the flexibility to give Sam LeCure some starts down the road, possibly Redmond as well. You can never have enough pitching and we still have the Cingrani and Corncino. People though Boxberger and Stewart trades were the end of the world too. Not everyone grows up to be Trevor Hoffman.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post

Um, yes. Not sure why you would guess that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    No, but I was wanting him to replace Bray.
    Ok - fair enough, sorry for jumping to my conclusion. I rarely post, but I read the "we over payed" threads rather often. If we hadn't made a move, then I'm sure I'd be reading a thread complaining about that as well.

Out of curiosity, were you wanting him to replace Bray for the stretch run or the future? Both are viable answers, but putting a rookie in a lefty vs lefty situation when we have Marshal and/or Chapman would scare the bejeezus out of me during a playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Um, yes. Not sure why you would guess that at all.
    I wasn't aware of Bray going to the DL, but regardless, I just don't understand the reaction for minor league players who haven't proved anything in the pros. Also I haven't seen Donnie pitch, but his last 10 games he's allowed 6 runs and has an opponent batting average of .311. This is what I was basing my decision on.

1. Donnie Joseph as part of this deal is hard to like...
    2. Not to also forget...Broxton is making 4M..so we also tie up salary in Broxton that could have been used to shore up holes elsewhere.

Personally...I don't get this move.

The Reds will easily be the most comfortable team with a 1 run lead in the 7th

Turn Off Ads?