Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Key word being "prospects" meaning they have never pitched on the major league level and the odds of them being good isn't very good.
    Wait, so are you saying that all prospects are interchangeable until they prove something at the major league level?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just watched Broxton's last save for KC on mlb tv (1week ago).

He looked pretty darn good!!!

95 mph fastball, multiple nasty 88-89 mph sliders, and no good contact off of him. Very encouraging!
    Last edited by smixsell; 08-01-2012 at 02:16 AM.

I don't think Sulbaran ever amounts to much. Joseph you can flip a coin. I say good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I don't think Sulbaran ever amounts to much. Joseph you can flip a coin. I say good trade.
    At the end of the day, people were confused that we added bullpen depth (Brox) to an already deep bullpen at the expense of bullpen depth (Joseph) that may or may not have contributed to the club in the next few years, anyway.

I agree, texasdave. It's not a move that all of a sudden makes us the Big Red Machine again and not one I expected, but it certainly doesn't hurt the club any, either. It improves us this year and from all reports, the club is apparently interested in maybe extending him a la Marshall. That is an absolutely filthy back end of the pen by any measure.

Let's face it, guys. Our starters are probably going to tire out a little bit as much as they've all pitched this year. We can shorten the game up even more now with some pretty good confidence in the guy on the bump (whoever it is, really).
    Last edited by Larkin88; 08-01-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: I forgot a word.

I got no problem with adding to our biggest strength being pitching. It took us all by shock and went with a dud after all the Choo/Ellsbury/Span rumors. Walt made a statement by not dealing.

Walt thinks this team's makeup will win and I agree with him.

I wonder how long they were working on this deal and/or how confident we were in landing Broxton?

I was just thinking maybe it would have been nice (assuming there was truth to the actual offer) to trade Ondrusek to PHI for Victorino then make this deal for Broxton?

We couldn't have gotten Victorino for Ondrusek.

Quote Originally Posted by mivers176 View Post
    I wonder how long they were working on this deal and/or how confident we were in landing Broxton?

I was just thinking maybe it would have been nice (assuming there was truth to the actual offer) to trade Ondrusek to PHI for Victorino then make this deal for Broxton?
    I suspect there was a bit of a bidding war with the Dodgers, hence two prospects going to Philly for the Victorino rental as opposed to a one-for-one swap. Might chalk that one up to being impacted by the new CBA rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    Wait, so are you saying that all prospects are interchangeable until they prove something at the major league level?
    In baseball pretty much. You do have your "blue chip" ones who might be a bit more valued, but overall a prospect is just that, a prospect and if you look back over the Reds history, especially with pitchers, how many of our "prospects" ever turned out to be good/great quality major league players?

Quote Originally Posted by mivers176 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the Reds showed some interest in Broxton during the offseason.

Why don't relievers have entrance music? I loved Trevor Hoffman's and Hell's Bells.

I am still pushing "Guns of Brixton" for Broxton.

Guns of Brixton - The Clash - YouTube

Not going to lie, I was one of those a little dissappointed we did get a little more for the two highly ranked prospects. That got me to thinking, here are some of our past 1st round picks that were at one point highly ranked prospects.

Chris Gruler-'02
    Brandon Larson-'97
    Ryan Wagner-'03
    Jeremy Sowers-'01

My point is you never know and after doing some research I feel better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt85webb View Post
    Broxton is a free agent after this year
    who would of thought

Nice enough debut. You have to love the fact that we can get six solid from our SP and then roll out Marshall, Broxton, and Chapman. Nobody else in baseball can match that. And if you only get six from the SP the next day, Arredondo, and Ondrusek aren't slouches in the seventh and eighth.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Nice enough debut. You have to love the fact that we can get six solid from our SP and then roll out Marshall, Broxton, and Chapman. Nobody else in baseball can match that. And if you only get six from the SP the next day, Arredondo, and Ondrusek aren't slouches in the seventh and eighth.
    AGREED

Turn Off Ads?