Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds gift shop prices

Reds gift shop prices

I was at work in West Chester and given a ticket to Tuesday's game. I was in dress clothes with long sleeves and my commute back to Dayton to change was out of the question. I thought I would hit the gift shop and get a polo shirt to be more comfortable. I had $40 in mind. The cheapest I found was $90. They had one with buttons that was $175. A healthy retail mark up is 100%. Are the Reds really paying $45 for their polo shirts? Anyway just thought I would share my experience.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds gift shop prices

No the Reds are not. The markup is extra healthy. I can also tell you, it is not in isolation.

Same prices at the O's fan shop at Camden Yards.

They do have some cool stuff I haven't seen anywhere else, but you're right - the prices are ridiculous.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Unless it is the only place you can get it, you should never buy something from the team shop. It is priced just like the beverages, 300-400% markup.

Yeah, go to a place like Cardboard Heroes. They've got a ton of Reds gear with way better prices. Plus, the one in Beavercreek sells their Dragons season tickets at the counter. You can get 2 great seats smack behind home plate in the 7th row.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unless it is the only place you can get it, you should never buy something from the team shop. It is priced just like the beverages, 300-400% markup.
    Yea tell me about the beverage prices. 9.50 for a 24oz beer at Progressive Field. They're paying no more than .50 for that beer. The markup is crazy. I guess when you only get 10,000 fans a game you have to charge those prices.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

I have never understood the logic in the ballpark price mark up game. I understand the fact that running a professional sports franchise is not a cheap undertaking however common logic tells you if you lower your prices slightly, more people will buy items because the price isn't (as) deadly thus you are still making the same amount of money if not more.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I have never understood the logic in the ballpark price mark up game. I understand the fact that running a professional sports franchise is not a cheap undertaking however common logic tells you if you lower your prices slightly, more people will buy items because the price isn't (as) deadly thus you are still making the same amount of money if not more.
    It's a captive market. Just like movies or concerts. A 6 pack of Christian Moerlein costs the same as one 20 oz one at the game. But I can't take that 6 pack into the game and the only place that sells beer is the vendors at GABP. So, if I want a beer, I either have to pay their prices, or leave and either go home or to a bar.

You are also helping to pay salaries of the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

A ways back, I took my family of 5 to the Ohio State Fair. We left here and the temps were 90+ degrees so we dressed for hot weather. Got the fair, a front moved through, and it went down to 65. I had to break out the Visa card to pay for 5 sweatshirts at captive prices. Yikes!

I'm on the www.reds.com mailing list and they regularly have pretty decent sales on Reds apparel. I know that doesn't help at the ballpark, but if you want official Reds stuff, that's a good way to go. It's also a good way to find out about ticket deals. As a side comment, the Reds' marketing department has improved about 1000% under Castellini. They really sell the team well.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Yea tell me about the beverage prices. 9.50 for a 24oz beer at Progressive Field. They're paying no more than .50 for that beer. The markup is crazy. I guess when you only get 10,000 fans a game you have to charge those prices.
    In their defense, their bills are a little more than the average 7-11.

The prices are absurd, but it's indicative of pro sports. Beers at Yankee Stadium are $11, T-shirts are more than $30 in most cases.

A jersey at the Bengals pro shop is $100; the same jersey at Koch's on Fourth Street is $80.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    That's actually not that bad compared to Wrigley, and GABP (the last time I was there). At Wrigley, it's $7.50 for a 16 oz'er, so $9.50 for a 24 oz'er seems like a better deal to me.

Plus, don't concession's get divided multiple ways? The Reds get a cut, the city gets a cut and the contracted concession supplier gets their cut.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Wait until September. They always have clearance sales in September. I got a $100 jacket for $40.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No the Reds are not. The markup is extra healthy. I can also tell you, it is not in isolation.

Same prices at the O's fan shop at Camden Yards.
    Same in DC. I never buy anything from their gift shop and vendors within the stadium. Prices are outrageous on just about everything they have.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?