Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco Suspended 3 Games

Mesoraco Suspended 3 Games

MLB is reporting that Devin Mesoraco will be suspended three games for bumping the umpire. He can appeal and then suspension will be held pending the appeal. Otherwise, it begins tonight.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2012/08/01...o-disciplined/
    Last edited by redsmetz; 08-01-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: To correct spelling of his name in title
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mesaraco Suspended 3 Games

I think you have to appeal just to buy time to get Phillips healthy, but he may actually have a chance of reducing this suspension to one or two games.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I would assume he will not appeal.

The roster crunch begins....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think you have to appeal just to buy time to get Phillips healthy, but he may actually have a chance of reducing this suspension to one or two games.
    I think your assessment is correct and I was just going to follow up and say that. With Phillips day to day at the present, the club needs him to appeal because of the roster situation. Not to mention we have no one else on the 40 man roster who is a catcher.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I dunno, I agree the ump bumped him, causing the contact, but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I assume he will, if only because they may need his bat over the next few days.

I can't imagine they'll agree to reduce the suspension though. Innocuous or not, he bumped the umpire. (Or rather, they umpire bumped him, then got cross about it.) That's not often a rule they look the other way on.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.
    Agreed. I don't see the suspension getting shortened.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

What a load of Balony..

The ump bumped Mes, not the other way around.

Actually, IIRC, Homer and Leake just started.
    Mes wouldn't be catching the next 3 games anyhow.
    It might be a good idea to roll the dice and just serve the suspension now, since he had dizziness last night anyhow.
    Just hope that Hannigan holds up for 3 games.

Otherwise, he could appeal and then drop the appeal right after he catches Homer/Leake at a more convienent time. (Obviously he has a limited window to do it on his terms)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I dunno, I agree the ump bumped him, causing the contact, but the way Devin went after the ump and Dusty trying to push him away won't sit well with the MLB office.
    And with I'm sure no evidence presented for Mesaroco's side why he suddenly lost control after being baited by the clown ump.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't see it getting shortened either, and he's dealing with dizziness anyway. If the dizziness continues, no better time to take the suspension than now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mez and BP put on the short DL, simply to get a glimpse of H-Rod or Didi, and Navarro. Knowing the Reds, they will play shorthanded though.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

You have to have a 2nd catcher. Bring up Navarro and either DFA Cairo or release one of Costanzo, Smith, Phipps, etc.

If they don't make a move for a second catcher to be available, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who on the current roster is the emergency catcher. Valdez?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Re: Mesoraco Suspended 3 Games

Corky is the obvious add. He knows the pitchers and will pass back through waivers when the suspension is over. Navarro likely will not. I want his bat in September.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

He's appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I wonder.. in the old days, they would wait until the club went to NY to hear the appeal.

I wonder if the appeal can stall the suspension long enough for rosters to be expanded? Any insight from anyone?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?