Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who goes down when Votto is ready?

Who goes down when Votto is ready?

I know we have at least another week but it's not to early to speculate.

Paul has been hot, and has speed...Dusty loves Cairo...he's a favorite...who else is on the chopping block?

Discuss...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who goes down when Votto is ready?

If it's anybody but Cairo there needs to be an investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Ondrusek or Cairo is who it should be. It'll probably be Paul, though.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If it's anybody but Cairo there needs to be an investigation.
    Agree. It's a tough thing to do, but it needs to be done.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

With his IBB tonight, Paul has reached base 9 times in his 15 plate appearances with the Reds (.600 OBP).

Cairo has reached base 15 times in 90 PA's (.167 OBP). Ouch.

I'd expect Cairo to come down with a "hamstring pull" or something of the sort that will require a DL stint until September 1. I can't see him being outright cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'd expect Cairo to come down with a "hamstring pull" or something of the sort that will require a DL stint until September 1. I can't see him being outright cut.
    I think that's likely as well.

Exactly what I think. They won't embarrass him, and rightly so. He's done and the look on his face in the dugout after the failed bunt attempt (and I blame the staff for that. Why the bunt anyway?) he looked so upset. Don't put players in positions where they will fail. Dusty drives me crazy with his bunting.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Please do the inevitable and give Cairo a coaching position.

Prediction: the Reds will option Todd Redmond the day after he's called up and doesn't pitch.

I also think this is how this situation will be handled. Let him come back Sept. 1st for one last hurrah. He deserves at least that with how hes helped this team both on the field and in the clubhouse the last 2.5 years.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Prediction: the Reds will option Todd Redmond the day after he's called up and doesn't pitch.
    This post is full of win.

Also, given that this team has no left-handed options on the bench other than Paul, and given how Paul has hit, it can't be Paul.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's a tough situation. Cairo has been key the last 2 seasons and has been invisible this season. But he's well liked in the clubhouse, and the concern would be chemistry if he got cut. I think a mystery injury would be the right thing to do too.

But I'd be upset if Paul was sent down and Cairo kept. This team has been in need of a LH bench bat all season or longer, and they finally got a guy who is LHed and hitting, and to think they'd send him down is downright dumb. He should stick. He makes things happen so far.

Lets just get through the injuries to both Philllips and Valdez right now. You may see a lot more of Cairo than you have all year. And who knows, regular AB's may see him start to heat up and contribute.

But I do agree with the notion of a bunt. Other than the pitcher, I'm not real keen on them. It's not just Dusty calling them, but I think the majority of managers would have called for a bunt. I would have trusted Cairo as a veteran either to move the runner along to third base or even bring him in with a hit.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?