Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

If you haven't seen highlights from yesterday's Arsenal vs. Reading League Cup match you should do that now.

Reading took a 4-0 lead early in the first half. Arsenal rallied and tied the game late in stoppage time to force extra time. They took the lead 5-4 only to give it back a couple minutes later before scoring two goals in the last two minutes of the game to win 7-5. Crazy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If you haven't seen highlights from yesterday's Arsenal vs. Reading League Cup match you should do that now.

Reading took a 4-0 lead early in the first half. Arsenal rallied and tied the game late in stoppage time to force extra time. They took the lead 5-4 only to give it back a couple minutes later before scoring two goals in the last two minutes of the game to win 7-5. Crazy.
    If I were forced to watch the matches of only one club for the rest of my life I would choose Arsenal. If every team played like them soccer would explode in popularity here in the US. They've come a long way from the days of "One-Nil To The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The Spanish, Italian and French leagues are on beIN Sport for the forseeable future. The Bundesliga is on Gol TV through 2015. Fox might be able to purchase some games from the rights holders but Al Jazeera has been pretty firm in saying they won't sell any games and NBC seems to be taking the same stance on MLS matches. The Champions League might help Fox somewhat but I don't think it can sustain them for long.
    That sucks for Fox Soccer. If they're to stick around, I think maybe you have to see something where Fox makes a move to buy out beIN or GolTV to get the rights to those leagues. I think something has to happen and maybe the pressure comes from the Spanish, Italian, French and German leagues to get more American eyeballs on their games. BeIn and GolTV just aren't available on the number of cable networks Fox Soccer is. Fox Soccer is available on most major cable and satellite carriers and is often part of the main tier of programming, whereas BeIn and GolTV are mainly on DirectTV and Dish and you have to pay for the special sports tier to get them, right?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

So Roberto Di Matteo was sacked as Chelsea manager this morning.

What a GD embarrassment.

Who the hell would actually want that job these days?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    So Roberto Di Matteo was sacked as Chelsea manager this morning.

What a GD embarrassment.

Who the hell would actually want that job these days?
    If you still get paid, I'm in. Also, I don't think managers have had a hard time finding work after working with Chelsea. So, put up with 6 months, get paid, and then get another job.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Interesting first game for Harry Redknapp at QPR. He's got talent on that team. Stephane M'Bia at DM seemed to sort a few things out. He and El Pirata are an awfully talented central midfield. Expect Junior Hoilett to get some more work up top as the team goes hunting for goals.

And I wonder if Harry might be able to work a loan for his nephew, Frank Lampard, during the January transfer window.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I was very excited to learn that FSC was added to the DirectTV package so I could watch Arsenal this morning. Then Kos got a red in the 9th minute and my excitement was gone. This team is just depressing. 21 points behind ManU and I think RVP just scored again.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I was very excited to learn that FSC was added to the DirectTV package so I could watch Arsenal this morning. Then Kos got a red in the 9th minute and my excitement was gone. This team is just depressing. 21 points behind ManU and I think RVP just scored again.
    It's going to be a real fight for those final two Champions League spots. Arsenal is as vulnerable as ever. Chelsea is in transition. Tottenham have all the necessary pieces to claim one of those slots. And if Everton goes on its customary second half run then it could be one of the shocks of the year.

Atkinson - 2
    Arsenal - 1

The sooner Sir Alex retires the better for EPL. Great manager..... owns the press and basically the FA. Can complain and whine and berate refs at his leisure.....but never punished. Reminds of when Landry and the Cowboys would lose back in the 70's....blaming everything else and allowed to basically skirt by with their whining and moaning.

Was that a clear penalty on Rooney? I am sure if it was Saurez or Bale..... and it would have been called against Man U ...Sir Alex would have choked the ref right there and then. But I digress.... English players cna dive and it's "very tactical" or sweeped under the rug, unless you play for Man U as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The sooner Sir Alex retires the better for EPL. Great manager..... owns the press and basically the FA. Can complain and whine and berate refs at his leisure.....but never punished. Reminds of when Landry and the Cowboys would lose back in the 70's....blaming everything else and allowed to basically skirt by with their whining and moaning.

Was that a clear penalty on Rooney? I am sure if it was Saurez or Bale..... and it would have been called against Man U ...Sir Alex would have choked the ref right there and then. But I digress.... English players cna dive and it's "very tactical" or sweeped under the rug, unless you play for Man U as well.
    I don't care for his whining either, though he's a brilliant manager. I suspect somewhere in his mind he believes grousing about that one call will deflect attention from the fact that Tottenham were the better team today.

Is Dempsey the most accomplished/respected Nat in EPL and/or European history?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't care for his whining either, though he's a brilliant manager. I suspect somewhere in his mind he believes grousing about that one call will deflect attention from the fact that Tottenham were the better team today.
    It was a fun game to watch thats for sure. I follow Man U on twitter and saw the buzz about Sir Alex calling out the ref. Granted I don't follow soccer to large extent, but did someone sow him the replay of the play? The announcers and the replay pretty clearly show that Ronney wasn't fouled.

As for Dempsey I think what separates him from the better plays in the league is the better players are much better finishers. Dempsey has several chances to put the ball in the net but didn't do so. They were plays that a guy like RVP scores on. Just my novice opinion.

Nat = American.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is Dempsey the most accomplished/respected Nat in EPL and/or European history?
    Maybe so. I was so glad to see him get that goal against ManU.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?