Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    English soccer is sort of like American style soccer on steroids. They value work rate and hard-nosed players over tactical ability and ball skills. When England runs into a Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Holland etc. etc. they more often than not end up in world's of trouble.

The individual pieces are also often greater than the whole.
    They have never played in a European Championships final, and they won their one World Cup in England (and by my unofficial tally, the host team has won the cup 5 out of 11 times when the host team was a world footballing power, which is a very high percentage). They haven't made another final game since.

Why is this the case? I would never venture a guess, but I do know that there is entire genre of sports writing devoted to why England hasn't/can't win a major tournament. It is a fascinating, depressing, and narcissistic all at the same time.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They have never played in a European Championships final, and they won their one World Cup in England (and by my unofficial tally, the host team has won the cup 5 out of 11 times when the host team was a world footballing power, which is a very high percentage). They haven't made another final game since.

Why is this the case? I would never venture a guess, but I do know that there is entire genre of sports writing devoted to why England hasn't/can't win a major tournament. It is a fascinating, depressing, and narcissistic all at the same time.
    The simplest answer is they're not that good. When Uruguay and then Italy ushered in more technical football in the 1920s and 1930s it left the Brits in the dust and they've never caught up. Doesn't help that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all play as separate nations. It's cost the English a lot of great players over the years.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The simplest answer is they're not that good. When Uruguay and then Italy ushered in more technical football in the 1920s and 1930s it left the Brits in the dust and they've never caught up. Doesn't help that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all play as separate nations. It's cost the English a lot of great players over the years.
    Imagine Spain without the Catalan gang. If Catalulia was its own country, Spain could lose Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Puyol, Piqué, and Busquets. So goodbye to those three consecutive titles.

Give England Giggs, George Best, or even Gareth Bale and they would really improve.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

5. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (02-10-2013)

Imagine Spain without the Catalan gang. If Catalulia was its own country, Spain could lose Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Puyol, Piqué, and Busquets. So goodbye to those three consecutive titles.

Give England Giggs, George Best, or even Gareth Bale and they would really improve.
    Exactly. Add in Dennis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush and Stevie Nicol too.

Throw in Xabi Alonso from Basque Country. Catalonia isn't the only separatist region in Spain.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Throw in Xabi Alonso from Basque Country. Catalonia isn't the only separatist region in Spain.
    To discuss that further....what about the countries that now rely on dual citizenship or the citizenship of those countries that used to be colonies....for players. France and Holland are two that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    To discuss that further....what about the countries that now rely on dual citizenship or the citizenship of those countries that used to be colonies....for players. France and Holland are two that come to mind.
    The team Surinam could have put together would have been impressive - Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Aron Winter, Frank Rijkaard, Patrick Kluivert, Ruud Gullit, Winston Bogarde, Michael Reiziger, Brian Roy.

And another Sp*rs chokejob is hopefully underway

ManU can wrap up the league with a win today. Meanwhile Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham remain in a three-way fight for the final two Champions League spots. That's likely coming down to the last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    ManU can wrap up the league with a win today. Meanwhile Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham remain in a three-way fight for the final two Champions League spots. That's likely coming down to the last day of the season.
    Not exactly the drama of last season. None of the major European leagues have any sort of real race this season.

I think Arsenal has the easiest schedule remaining between Chelsea and Spurs, but I still think that Chelsea will get 3rd, Arsenal 4th, Spurs Europa.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Luis Suarez thinks it'll be a biting good time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

15. Likes:

M2 (04-24-2013)

Macca ‏@The_Paris_Angel 23h
    Arsenal - just make sure Gunnersaurus takes part in the Guard of Honour. Gesture and moment devalued instantly. You're welcome.

Sage advice

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Luis Suarez thinks it'll be a biting good time.
    What an embarrassing situation to put yourself in after all the good work you have done this year.....And had been trying to clean up your act. I am ashamed to even say I was born in the same country. The guy has done nothing but self sabotage himself,club and in the last year his NT ...the way he collects yellows or just does stupid things.

LOL @ Sp*rs

Turn Off Ads?