Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/2/2012 Reds vs Padres

8/2/2012 Reds vs Padres

Here are the lineups. Paul gets the start in LF. Ludwick on the bench for some unkown reason. Old man Rolen playing a day game after a night game. That has to be a first as a Red for him.
    With Ohlendorf pitching this lineup should still hit him.

1. Alexi Amarista (L) SS
    2. Will Venable (L) RF
    3. Chase Headley (S) 3B
    4. Carlos Quentin (R) LF
    5. Yonder Alonso (L) 1B
    6. Logan Forsythe (R) 2B
    7. Cameron Maybin (R) CF
    8. Eddy Rodriguez (R) C
    9. Ross Ohlendorf (R) P

1. Xavier Paul (L) LF
    2. Drew Stubbs (R) CF
    3. Jay Bruce (L) RF
    4. Scott Rolen (R) 3B
    5. Todd Frazier (R) 1B
    6. Zack Cozart (R) SS
    7. Miguel Cairo (R) 2B
    8. Ryan Hanigan (R) C
    9. Johnny Cueto (R) P
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/2/2012

Whoops! Forgot to put who was playing. If a mod can fix this I would appreciate it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I just don't get Dusty. Ludwick has been the teams best hitter by far, and he sits. Bruce has been just meh, so why doesn't he sit to give Paul some at-bats?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I understand its an unusual situation with the 2B deal and whatnot, but even with the same nine guys in the same positions today, Paul could be 6th, and Cozart 1st. But they're not. Anyone else think this is a permanent drop in the lineup for Cozart? That said, I really don't know where Paul would play regularly.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I just don't get Dusty. Ludwick has been the teams best hitter by far, and he sits. Bruce has been just meh, so why doesn't he sit to give Paul some at-bats?
    Sit the only other LH hitter in the line-up? Besides, Bruce seems to be heating up a bit. There's only three OF spots, but five players who ought to see more playing time because they are all hitting fairly well at the moment.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

The Ludwick situation is strange. Beats me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Sit the only other LH hitter in the line-up? Besides, Bruce seems to be heating up a bit. There's only three OF spots, but five players who ought to see more playing time because they are all hitting fairly well at the moment.
    Touche. Good point. I guess more then anything, my point is that with DatDude out, you should have your hottest hitter out there. Having someone besides Phillips and Valdez playing second puts a serious dent into your defense, especially with a ground ball pitcher on the mound that day. So, any extra runs you can score are extra important.

Now watch this lineup go out and put 10 runs on the board. I would gladly eat crow
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Touche. Good point. I guess more then anything, my point is that with DatDude out, you should have your hottest hitter out there. Having someone besides Phillips and Valdez playing second puts a serious dent into your defense, especially with a ground ball pitcher on the mound that day. So, any extra runs you can score are extra important.

Now watch this lineup go out and put 10 runs on the board. I would gladly eat crow
    Agreed. This 2B situation underscores the real need I felt the team had at the deadline - that is a left handed hitting veteran middle infielder who can fill in at 2B, SS, and maybe 3B. I wasn't real happy with Valdez, and hoped an upgrade would have been in the works.

That said, Cairo getting regular playing time for a few games may not be a bad thing. It may help him get untracked and he may put together a few nice AB's.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I guess the theory is that Cueto will throw a shutout, so a small number of runs will win the game. Johnny has been really shaky lately, so that's up to question. Should be interesting, but I won't see it or hear it. No TV or radio in the daytime here.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

No Reds TV today. The Padres are televising. So if if you have EI or MLBTV you can see it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Dusty rests Ludwick every series. I've heard that he's not 100 percent healthy, but Dusty simply said he wants to keep him fresh.

What's odd about today is that Rolen IS playing a day game after night game. So Ludwick doesn't play the quick turnaround, Rolen does.

I like Valdez. He's versatile and does a lot of good things when he plays. I guess the Reds are lucky to have Cairo as the third string second baseman, a lot of teams would be really strapped without BP and Valdez. Just wish Cairo could hit a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Agreed. This 2B situation underscores the real need I felt the team had at the deadline - that is a left handed hitting veteran middle infielder who can fill in at 2B, SS, and maybe 3B. I wasn't real happy with Valdez, and hoped an upgrade would have been in the works.

That said, Cairo getting regular playing time for a few games may not be a bad thing. It may help him get untracked and he may put together a few nice AB's.
    How can you not be happy with what Valdez has done?
    Yes they need another INF but it's not beacuse Valdez has not done a good job. If anything they should have dropped Cairo after last night's game and realized before he has to take anymore AB's.... that they need someone else instead of hoping to continue to get by.

These injuries and relying on guys like Cairo to continue playing well.... is just not going to work IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How can you not be happy with what Valdez has done?
    Yes they need another INF but it's not beacuse Valdez has not done a good job. If anything they should have dropped Cairo after last night's game and realized before he has to take anymore AB's.... that they need someone else instead of hoping to continue to get by.

These injuries and relying on guys like Cairo to continue playing well.... is just not going to work IMO.
    Once Votto and Phillips are back, the Reds do not need another infielder IMO. Yes, with two starters out it gets tight, but the regular 25 man roster has enough infielders.

Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Frazier and Valdez is a fine, fully stocked infield. Every position has a starter and has good back up. Add in Cairo, the Reds have been overstocked in the infield.

The Reds have been short in the OUTFIELD this year. The team has gone with four outfielders most of this year. Cairo was kept instead of the usual fifth outfielder.

Right now, the Reds have five outfielders because, in essence, Votto was replaced by Paul. This raises the question of who goes when Votto returns from the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Once Votto and Phillips are back, the Reds do not need another infielder IMO. Yes, with two starters out it gets tight, but the regular 25 man roster has enough infielders.

Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Frazier and Valdez is a fine, fully stocked infield. Every position has a starter and has good back up. Add in Cairo, the Reds have been overstocked in the infield.

The Reds have been short in the OUTFIELD this year. The team has gone with four outfielders most of this year. IMO, Cairo was kept instead of the usual fifth outfielder.

Right now, the Reds have five outfielders because, in essence, Votto was replaced by Paul.

How is Valdez fine when he hurt his neck? Maybe not DL issue but still not fine.

BP is either milking how bad he is hurt for more twitter hits then ....beacuse he sure did not sound like he was fine either.

Be proactive now and not when things start getting away from you.

In the last 10 days Ludwick has gone 3-for-6 with two doubles and was benched the next day. Then 2-for-4 with two homers - benched. Last night 3-for-4 with a HR - benched the next day. I don't get it. With Votto and Phillips out, Reds need all of the offense they can get. Why take the guy who is pretty much carrying the offense out? I can understand the occasional day off but not this much.

Turn Off Ads?