Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Umpire tosses the Music intern in minor league game

Re: Umpire tosses the Music intern in minor league game

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Actually the coach forfeited the game by his refusing to do as I directed to remove the PA announcer. If you want to play the poor kiddies, parents etc card then play it towards the coach.
    Give me a break.. you forced the action.. You escalated the situation.
    He refused to comply with your request, thus YOU forfieted the game.
    You had the option to continue the game, didn't you..
    This just proves how arrogant umpires are.. No offense personally.. but
    you are saying "They ignored my eddict, it's their fault".
    Why did you have to make such an issue out of this?

Also just what ball park allows fans to bring in banners to make fun of players and what do the banners say ?? If I am not mistaken MLB does not allow banners in their parks making disparaging comments of others. I am also not sure what park has "funny music" when an opposing manager visits the mound. What park is this and what do they play?
    One team (I think it was the twins) would play the Darth Vader theme music every time the opposing manager came to the mound. If that manager was thin skinned, he would whine about being compared to a character that commited genocide in a movie.

It's fairly routine even at the ML level to play goofy music sometimes when the opposing manager makes a mound visit.

Regardless of what you find, making disparaging comments over the PA or playing songs over the PA that are mocking the job the umpire is doing is not defensible. It quite simply is bush league and unprofessional. The umpire is on the field to do a job and allowing paid employees of a professional baseball team to mock or insult him just to amuse the masses is horribly insane.
    You are umpiring a high school game.. Shouldn't you expect some bush league behavior? Was the PA announcer a paid professional that did this full time? I kind of doubt it. Most likely he was a volunteer helping the school out.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 08-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's pretty silly to toss a music intern. Kinda speaks volumes about the ump in question IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Personal attack aside, calling an official blind whether through a song, a hand written note from the bat boy, a cupcake decorated with "you suck" on it or simply as a jeer are all insults. An insult results in an ejection. It really is that simple.
    If you're taking it personal, you are taking it wrong. It's not personal. It's "ump", or "blue". It's not "hey George, you are blind"!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Isn't George umpiring a high school game though?
    That's a lot different than the Reds PA announcer mocking the ump.
    The high school PA guy is some unpaid volunteer, doing this job to help the school.. Yea, it's not appropriate for him to broadcast "The umps stink" (I think that's what George said)

But forfieiting the game is a huge overreaction.

Canceling a high school game because someone (even the PA announcer) yells "the umps stink".. talk about overreaction.
    Yea, George asked them to remove the PA guy, but it's not as if the school has a backup all ready to go.. I mean, give me a break.. that's not a reasonable request.

How about the ump just sucks it up, acts mature and continues the game.

Once again, I did not forfeit the game. The coach did by refusing to abide by my request.

An umpire can remove anyone at anytime for any reason whether they are paid or not. If some one has a problem with what the umpire did they can take it up with the league afterwards. However I think you are going to be hard pressed to find any professional level or nonprofessional level that would not side with the umpire in the instances above.

I hope you found I was able to "suck it up" and "act mature" in my response. I have been called much, much worse, trust me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Too much of a grey line.

Umps are in a unique situation of authority. All order must be kept by them. We've all been at amateur games with the pyscho parents and Rambo coaches. We need order in sports, and the umps are there to provide that.

Unfortunately...umps can never win.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

No one's concerned about poor sportsmanship anymore. Mocking officials is poor sportsmanship, whether we all do it or not.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

You are umpiring a high school game.. Shouldn't you expect some bush league behavior? Was the PA announcer a paid professional that did this full time? I kind of doubt it. Most likely he was a volunteer helping the school out.
    And I would guess the school principal or AD would make sure that PA announcer was never allowed to volunteer again. The volunteer was probably a parent, and they surely should know that wasn't the proper thing to do.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    If you're taking it personal, you are taking it wrong. It's not personal. It's "ump", or "blue". It's not "hey George, you are blind"!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    You are commenting directly to me regardless of how you address me. Next time you get pulled by a cop over be sure to make the comment "officer you are blind" If you get any grief from from him tell him since you didn't use his first name it wasn't meant to be personal.

Let me know how that goes.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    And I would guess the school principal or AD would make sure that PA announcer was never allowed to volunteer again. The volunteer was probably a parent, and they surely should know that wasn't the proper thing to do.
    Seems like another overreaction.
    Assuming the volunteer was reliable, why should the principal terminate him? You realize how difficult it is to get volunteers to do anything.

Honestly, if I was principal, I'd ask the ump to not return. At our high schools, the umps ARE paid, so more should be expected of them. Much easier to fill in a paid person than an unpaid volunteer..

I guess we wil have to disagree on the seriousness of this issue.. I don't see anyone moving on this
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The best umpires/officials are the ones you never know are there, not someone on a power trip looking to flex their muscles and trying to find something to get offended over.

I'm guessing the officer wouldn't eject me from my car

Seriously its a matter of common sense and being flexible where the line is drawn. We all deserve a little good natured ribbing from time to time, umpires and cops alike.

The proper thing would have been to warn the guy/team. If they kept at it, then eject them. It was likely a HS parent letting his emotions get away from him w/ the PA on.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm guessing the officer wouldn't eject me from my car

Seriously its a matter of common sense and being flexible where the line is drawn. We all deserve a little good natured ribbing from time to time, umpires and cops alike.

The proper thing would have been to warn the guy/team. If they kept at it, then eject them. It was likely a HS parent letting his emotions get away from him w/ the PA on.
    And he probably didn't pull you over because he doesn't like your taste in music......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Just get the call right and music selection isn't an issue.

Give me a break.. you forced the action.. You escalated the situation.He refused to comply with your request, thus YOU forfieted the game.
    You had the option to continue the game, didn't you..
    This just proves how arrogant umpires are.. No offense personally.. but
    you are saying "They ignored my eddict, it's their fault".
    Why did you have to make such an issue out of this?

It is this simple, if anyone directly related to the game at any level whether it is MLB or LL is subject to ejection if they did something that is perceived by an umpire to be insulting or unsportsmanlike.

In my instance the PA announcer whether paid or not (it doesn't matter) was ejected for using a microphone to incite an already hostile crowd. His actions escalated the situation and because of this I was forced to remove him from the game. Because the coach (who I ejected also) refused to abide by order to have him removed left me no choice but to end the game. Once again, by their refusal to do as they were told by the person running the game the umpire resulted in the game being forfeited due to them and no one else but them. There are rules to follow whether you like them or not.

If you wish you rewrite the umpires manual directing umpires to take these types of comments, insults etc.. then by all means start the process of doing so. Till then that is just the way it is.

You are commenting directly to me regardless of how you address me. Next time you get pulled by a cop over be sure to make the comment "officer you are blind" If you get any grief from from him tell him since you didn't use his first name it wasn't meant to be personal.

Let me know how that goes.
    Comparing an umpire to a police officer? Yeah, that answers it for me. Our views are really different. I'll bow out now.

Turn Off Ads?