Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thursday 8/02/2012 Minor League Updates

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Thursday 8/02/2012 Minor League Updates

I've read the name for awhile now, but Wirfin Obispo has to be the most unusual unique weirdest name I've about ever come across.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I've read the name for awhile now, but Wirfin Obispo has to be the most unusual unique weirdest name I've about ever come across.
    Obispo is a RZ enigma who has come full circle back to the Reds system. That said, he has put up some good AA numbers recently. Is there any reason to believe that going on 28 he may still prove to be a decent ML bullpen arm?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Obispo is a RZ enigma who has come full circle back to the Reds system. That said, he has put up some good AA numbers recently. Is there any reason to believe that going on 28 he may still prove to be a decent ML bullpen arm?
    I honestly think he has the stuff that he could be a useful bullpen part. He isn't a back end of the bullpen guy, but a 6th, maybe 7th inning guy on most teams? I think he could be.

Obispo's final line: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K. Pensacola leads 4-1 in the 7th.

Redmond pitches five pretty good innings for the Bats, giving up two unearned runs. Josh Judy comes on and gives up a home run and three singles to load them up without retiring a batter. Carlos Fisher comes in and walks the first two batters he faces. Feeling like giving up a run at a time is taking too long, he gives up a bases clearing double. Charlotte goes on to win 8-1. Dennis Phipps homers to help Louisville avoid being shut out. Phipps also doubled. Gregorius had two hits. Puckett one. JJ Hoover still can't understand why he is in Louisville and Logan Ondrusek isn't.

Phipps' post-ASG numbers are .317/378/.439/.817, not including tonight's 2 for 4 (double and home run).

Pensacola leads 4-1 after 8 full. David Vidal has two hits, including a big fly. Wahoo pitchers have struck out a dozen so far on the night. Wilkin de la Rosa is a converted outfielder who has, generally, put up some pretty good numbers on the mound.

The Dragons led 2-0 after five full but it has been downhill from there. Mugarian, Kemp and Jensen combined to allow only five hits in eight innings. They did walk nine batters though. No Dayton hitter has more than one hit. Four singles and a two-bagger.

Billings jumped out to a slim one-run lead but now trail 2-1. Vincej doubled to lead things off and scored on a single by Mejias-Brean. Sal Romano has scuffled, allowing two runs on four hits in his three innings of work.

AZL Cactus Canines have the night off.

Pensacola pitchers combine on a two-hitter and the Blue Fish tack on two in the ninth to win 6-1. Bryson Smith with two hits. Slidin' Billy had two walks, two steals and two runs scored.

Dayton goes meekly in the ninth, losing 5-2.

Taylor Wall quieting the Mustang hitter so far. Billings with three hits, only one after the first. Sal Romano with a so-so effort. Billings trails 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth.

Billings trails 3-1 after five. Helena brings in a new pitcher. Bad idea. BOOM! goes the dynamite. (My goal is to use that phrase once a day until someone hacks my account.)
    Vincej singles, Dailey walks, Winker singles in a run, Mejias-Brean doubles in a run and Daniel Pigott doubles in a pair. Mustangs take a 5-3 lead.

Hamiltons ability to take a walk has greatly impressed me this season. It tells me he is going deep into counts, and working quality at bats. Even though he'll never hit for power, and MLB pitchers will be more likely to challenge him with strikes because of it, I am beginning to think more and more he may be a legit option at leadoff with a .350 OBP in the pros. Still a long way to go, but being able to take balls, foul off pitches and just generally work a pitcher is a skill that shouldn't really go away as you move up levels. And with his speed, if he gets on base at a .350 clip in front of Votto, I don't care about power.

Turn Off Ads?