Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zack Cozart

Zack Cozart

Can anyone guess these players who manned SS for the Reds:

Player A: .242/.288/.394 11HRs, 22RBIs, UZR of 3.9, WAR of 1.7 (partial season)

Player B: .263/.303/.354 4HRs, 42RBIs, UZR of 3.7, WAR of 1.4 (full season)

Yes, player A is Zack Cozart. I will leave player B up to you all. But for the sake of discussion I thought it was a good comparison due to (correct me if I am wrong) what was perceived around here to be a huge hole we had at SS under player B, while under Cozart I believe it is felt among most that we are fine and he will be our SS for the foreseeable future.

I really wanted to open this up to get your opinions on Cozarts performance this season, how it compared to expectations, how you think he will do moving forward.

I for one am happy with Cozart at short, a little disappointed in his season to date performance because I had higher expectations, nonetheless I think he can and will improve.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 08-02-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarity
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zack Cozart

My second guess on Player B was correct (I guessed Janish first, though I didn't really think it was him). I, for one, had no problem with B, and thought he was a decent stop-gap.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I guessed Renteria and Gonzalez before O-Cab. I'm mostly shocked at how good A-Gon's 2007 was, I remembered it being good but man, imagine if we had that kind of production today.

As far as Cozart goes, I really think his stats are effected tremendously by being miscast as the leadoff hitter. He just shouldn't be the guy to get the most at-bats on your team.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm a big Cozart fan. But Didi's recent surge at Louisville has opened my eyes toward him too.

You can never have too many good SS's.

I was kinda hoping they'd bring Didi or H-Rod up while BP went on the DL. Guess it won't happen.

Didi Gregorius is the best name since Babe Ruth.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Didi Gregorius is the best name since Babe Ruth.
    I prefer Mariekson Julius Gregorius personally. Very dignified and stately.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I prefer Mariekson Julius Gregorius personally. Very dignified and stately.
    That is very dignified and stately. My favorite is name is still Wonderful Terrific Monds who was in the Cincinnati system in the late 1990s.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Who can forget Motorboat Jones?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    His wife called him The Love Boat.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Cozart just looks so much better when he's not leading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Cozart just looks so much better when he's not leading off.
    Batting 1st 319 ABs, .213/.256/.357/.613
    Batting 2nd 70 ABs, .357/.416/.571/.987

Your eyes are not deceiving you, thats for sure.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Batting 1st 319 ABs, .213/.256/.357/.613
    Batting 2nd 70 ABs, .357/.416/.571/.987

Your eyes are not deceiving you, thats for sure.
    Maybe not, but small-sample-size needs to apply big time to a 70 at bat sample that has been split up even within that small sample. I think Cozart is probably a .700-.750 OPS true talent guy.

In the #1 spot, his BABIP is .236.
    In the #2 spot, his BABIP is .442.

There is a lot of 'luck' going on in that #2 spot.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe not, but small-sample-size needs to apply big time to a 70 at bat sample that has been split up even within that small sample. I think Cozart is probably a .700-.750 OPS true talent guy.

In the #1 spot, his BABIP is .236.
    In the #2 spot, his BABIP is .442.

There is a lot of 'luck' going on in that #2 spot.
    I'd imagine batting right before Votto would lend itself to that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    That is very dignified and stately. My favorite is name is still Wonderful Terrific Monds who was in the Cincinnati system in the late 1990s.
    Wirfin Obispo

Turn Off Ads?