Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 452

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Pirates fans are livid

    They're convinced that Chapmen hit McCutchen intentionally and they believe there should (will?) be retribution tomorrow.

    Biggest game of the year and the Reds would intentionally want to put runners on in the 9th inning? Riiiight.

    Seems reality has escaped Pittsburgh for far too long.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. #2
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Well, they've been waiting for a long time to have stuff like this happen in games that actually matter. So I'll let them have their fun.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  3. #3
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    I'm glad he hit McCutcheon. Not because I want him hurt, but because it strikes fear in the other Pirate hitters having to think they could get plunked by a 100 mph fastball. An occasional wild pitch without runners on base can do wonders in terms of fear.

    Pirates are babies, just like the Cardinals.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm glad he hit McCutcheon. Not because I want him hurt, but because it strikes fear in the other Pirate hitters having to think they could get plunked by a 100 mph fastball. An occasional wild pitch without runners on base can do wonders in terms of fear.

    Pirates are babies, just like the Cardinals.
    McCutcheon looked absolutely furious. He looked like he thought Chapman did it on purpose.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    McCutcheon looked absolutely furious. He looked like he thought Chapman did it on purpose.
    He had every right to be furious. I would be as well if I just took a 101 MPH fastball up and in, regardless of my player status or numbers, but not to mention you are the leading NL MVP candidate playing against the team who you are trying to overtake in the division.

    PIT has a right to be mad, we have a right to feel like it was nothing, it is just the way it works, and I will be shocked if I do not see some retaliation tonight. It is fair.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  6. #6
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He had every right to be furious. I would be as well if I just took a 101 MPH fastball up and in, regardless of my player status or numbers, but not to mention you are the leading NL MVP candidate playing against the team who you are trying to overtake in the division.

    PIT has a right to be mad, we have a right to feel like it was nothing, it is just the way it works, and I will be shocked if I do not see some retaliation tonight. It is fair.
    This.


    While I don't think hitting Cutch was intentional, I get where he's coming from. IMO, one of our guys will get plunked tonight and we all move on. I don't mind a rivalry being rekindled. Good for the fans, players and sport.

  7. #7
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Sounds like Pittsburgh fans are weird wusses.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  8. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They're convinced that Chapmen hit McCutchen intentionally and they believe there should (will?) be retribution tomorrow.

    Biggest game of the year and the Reds would intentionally want to put runners on in the 9th inning? Riiiight.

    Seems reality has escaped Pittsburgh for far too long.
    Where are you getting this info?

  9. #9
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Where are you getting this info?
    They're going off about it on both the MLB board and the Pittsburgh Sports forums.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #10
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,006

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They're going off about it on both the MLB board and the Pittsburgh Sports forums.
    I can't believe such a thing would occur on the internets.

  11. #11
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    I've no doubt it was a purpose pitch. I am sure Chapman was trying to push him off the plate. But I don't believe for a second it was meant to hit him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #12
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I've no doubt it was a purpose pitch. I am sure Chapman was trying to push him off the plate. But I don't believe for a second it was meant to hit him.
    to play the devils advocate...2 outs no one on. Best hitter in baseball up. 3 run lead. Left handed batter on deck who you then strike out in 3 pitches with pin point control. I can see why they could think it was done on purpose...just sayin.

    If the situation were reverse...and they hit Votto on the first pitch to get to Bruce who you waste in 3 pitches...I might think the same thing..
    Last edited by George Foster; 08-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  13. #13
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If the situation were reverse...and they hit Votto on the first pitch to get to Bruce who you waste in 3 pitches...I might think the same thing..
    You had me convinced until you had Bruce batting behind Votto. Come on, George, that cannot happen. EVER!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  14. #14
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You had me convinced until you had Bruce batting behind Votto. Come on, George, that cannot happen. EVER!
    haha...Brandon hurt again...Bruce has to bat 4th....my bad!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Side (No Diggity)
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Pirates fans are livid

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    to play the devils advocate...2 outs no one on. Best hitter in baseball up. 3 run lead. Left handed batter on deck who you then strike out in 3 pitches with pin point control. I can see why they could think it was done on purpose...just sayin.

    If the situation were reverse...and they hit Votto on the first pitch to get to Bruce who you waste in 3 pitches...I might think the same thing..
    Again with the insinuation that Chapman has pinpoint control. He does NOT. Tonight that fact was again on full display. Just because he looks good against the next batter does not mean he turns it on and off. He has pitches that pull Hanigan way out of his spot. Often. That just is.

    Also, will it make everyone feel better if we now call Jared Hughes a thug for his shove? Cuz that was by definition thug-ish.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25