Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pirates fans are livid

They're convinced that Chapmen hit McCutchen intentionally and they believe there should (will?) be retribution tomorrow.

Biggest game of the year and the Reds would intentionally want to put runners on in the 9th inning? Riiiight.

Seems reality has escaped Pittsburgh for far too long.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Well, they've been waiting for a long time to have stuff like this happen in games that actually matter. So I'll let them have their fun.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm glad he hit McCutcheon. Not because I want him hurt, but because it strikes fear in the other Pirate hitters having to think they could get plunked by a 100 mph fastball. An occasional wild pitch without runners on base can do wonders in terms of fear.

Pirates are babies, just like the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm glad he hit McCutcheon. Not because I want him hurt, but because it strikes fear in the other Pirate hitters having to think they could get plunked by a 100 mph fastball. An occasional wild pitch without runners on base can do wonders in terms of fear.

Pirates are babies, just like the Cardinals.
    McCutcheon looked absolutely furious. He looked like he thought Chapman did it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    McCutcheon looked absolutely furious. He looked like he thought Chapman did it on purpose.
    He had every right to be furious. I would be as well if I just took a 101 MPH fastball up and in, regardless of my player status or numbers, but not to mention you are the leading NL MVP candidate playing against the team who you are trying to overtake in the division.

PIT has a right to be mad, we have a right to feel like it was nothing, it is just the way it works, and I will be shocked if I do not see some retaliation tonight. It is fair.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He had every right to be furious. I would be as well if I just took a 101 MPH fastball up and in, regardless of my player status or numbers, but not to mention you are the leading NL MVP candidate playing against the team who you are trying to overtake in the division.

PIT has a right to be mad, we have a right to feel like it was nothing, it is just the way it works, and I will be shocked if I do not see some retaliation tonight. It is fair.
    This.

While I don't think hitting Cutch was intentional, I get where he's coming from. IMO, one of our guys will get plunked tonight and we all move on. I don't mind a rivalry being rekindled. Good for the fans, players and sport.

Sounds like Pittsburgh fans are weird wusses.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They're convinced that Chapmen hit McCutchen intentionally and they believe there should (will?) be retribution tomorrow.

Biggest game of the year and the Reds would intentionally want to put runners on in the 9th inning? Riiiight.

Seems reality has escaped Pittsburgh for far too long.
    Where are you getting this info?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Where are you getting this info?
    They're going off about it on both the MLB board and the Pittsburgh Sports forums.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They're going off about it on both the MLB board and the Pittsburgh Sports forums.
    I can't believe such a thing would occur on the internets.

I've no doubt it was a purpose pitch. I am sure Chapman was trying to push him off the plate. But I don't believe for a second it was meant to hit him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I've no doubt it was a purpose pitch. I am sure Chapman was trying to push him off the plate. But I don't believe for a second it was meant to hit him.
    to play the devils advocate...2 outs no one on. Best hitter in baseball up. 3 run lead. Left handed batter on deck who you then strike out in 3 pitches with pin point control. I can see why they could think it was done on purpose...just sayin.

If the situation were reverse...and they hit Votto on the first pitch to get to Bruce who you waste in 3 pitches...I might think the same thing..
    Last edited by George Foster; 08-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If the situation were reverse...and they hit Votto on the first pitch to get to Bruce who you waste in 3 pitches...I might think the same thing..
    You had me convinced until you had Bruce batting behind Votto. Come on, George, that cannot happen. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You had me convinced until you had Bruce batting behind Votto. Come on, George, that cannot happen. EVER!
    haha...Brandon hurt again...Bruce has to bat 4th....my bad!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    to play the devils advocate...2 outs no one on. Best hitter in baseball up. 3 run lead. Left handed batter on deck who you then strike out in 3 pitches with pin point control. I can see why they could think it was done on purpose...just sayin.

Again with the insinuation that Chapman has pinpoint control. He does NOT. Tonight that fact was again on full display. Just because he looks good against the next batter does not mean he turns it on and off. He has pitches that pull Hanigan way out of his spot. Often. That just is.

Also, will it make everyone feel better if we now call Jared Hughes a thug for his shove? Cuz that was by definition thug-ish.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?