Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was addressing the charge that it was "too close to the head".

Sounds like you are a "never brush the other guy back" type of guy. And if so, just say so and I will accept that.

However....

It really wasn't that close to the head, and if there is a good time for a brushback, when would that be?
    I believe it was an intentional drilling of the guy, and yes, there's never a good time to do that.

Why is there even a need to brush him back? The game was pretty much over. Even if McCutchson hits a HR, there's a lefty on deck that probably has no chance of getting a hit against Chapman.

If you are going to brush the guy back throw the ball at about hip level.
    Pitchers do that all the time.. no need to throw near head level like Chapman did. I'm not sure what Chapman accomplished, other then making a fool out of himself and firing up the Pirates even more.

I am pretty sure the Pirates get Leake and Homer next.. not exactly the most steady hands on the Reds staff.. although both will be well rested, since their last outings were short..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Andrew seems unfazed, at least in his comments...

Asked whether getting hit by a Chapman 101-mph fastball spoiled the evening, McCutchen said:

"It didn't spoil it. It just pumped us up. And that's the feeling we're going to take on the field [Saturday]."

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You apparently missed his temper tantrum in the dugout. He was cursing, throwing things up against the wall, etc.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Typical Pittsburgh football comment. As if a HBP could inspire a baseball team. It will have a lot more to do with what Leake and Bailey do. And no matter what, they can get no closer than 2.5 games at the end. It won't be that close, much to the chagrin of the Steeler, I mean Pirate fans.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I believe it was an intentional drilling of the guy, and yes, there's never a good time to do that.

Why is there even a need to brush him back? The game was pretty much over. Even if McCutchson hits a HR, there's a lefty on deck that probably has no chance of getting a hit against Chapman.

If you are going to brush the guy back throw the ball at about hip level.
    Pitchers do that all the time.. no need to throw near head level like Chapman did. I'm not sure what Chapman accomplished, other then making a fool out of himself and firing up the Pirates even more.

I am pretty sure the Pirates get Leake and Homer next.. not exactly the most steady hands on the Reds staff.. although both will be well rested, since their last outings were short..
    I don't think I'm gonna get far in discussing this with you so I'll just step aside. You are only a "fool" in the eye of the beholder. I doubt a large percentage of people (especially neutral observers) would consider Chapman a "fool" after watching that inning of work, and even that one pitch in a vacuum.

You also argue he has pinpoint control (which I would disagree with on a pitch by pitch basis...he throws an ugly one every now and then), but are upset that he hit Andrew in the bicep because it is too close to the head.

I'm just not sure I get why you are so admanant that this was a horrible thing. But to each his own.

Sounds like thoughts of a concussed individual. If anyone can give someone a concussion by hitting them in the arm, it's Aroldis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You apparently missed his temper tantrum in the dugout. He was cursing, throwing things up against the wall, etc.
    I saw it. And I'm sure he was livid once it happened. But when emotions run high and a lot is on the line, it's easy to get riled up in the moment. But it doesn't sound like he's holding a grudge and it sounds like he's over it now.

Of the guys in the lineup right now, who gets hit? Bruce cause he's got the most talent & cache'? Rolen cause it would be the biggest insult?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Chapman was just throwing inside to keep his part of the plate, not intentionally try to hit Cutch. Mac crowds the plate. Chapman let him know he owns that part of the plate. That is Bob Gibson old school no nonsense pitching and it is successful. If you look at the replays the pitch didn't even miss the inside of the zone by that much! That's how close Cutch was to the plate. And finally it wasn't even near his head.

If I were the Pirates I'd forget fights and just play baseball. Marshall, Broxton, Joey, Frazier, Ondrusek, et al - the Reds roster isn't populated by a bunch of little guys. Heck Broxton would just sit on three or four of 'em at once.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Of the guys in the lineup right now, who gets hit? Bruce cause he's got the most talent & cache'? Rolen cause it would be the biggest insult?
    I'd say BP if the reports that he plays are accurate. Bruce next in line.

Hitting Rolen might incite a brawl...but maybe that's what they want.

I've thought to myself many times tonight that I bet Andrew went in the Pirate clubhouse and challenged the pitchers to a man to plunk someone in the next 2 days. He was one angry dude.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Ludwick - ex teamate, hottest hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think Chapman was just throwing inside to keep his part of the plate, not intentionally try to hit Cutch. Mac crowds the plate. Chapman let him know he owns that part of the plate. That is Bob Gibson old school no nonsense pitching and it is successful. If you look at the replays the pitch didn't even miss the inside of the zone by that much! That's how close Cutch was to the plate. And finally it wasn't even near his head.

If I were the Pirates I'd forget fights and just play baseball. Marshall, Broxton, Joey, Frazier, Ondrusek, et al - the Reds roster isn't populated by a bunch of little guys. Heck Broxton would just sit on three or four of 'em at once.
    That's been my biggest point of contention with REDREAD's remarks. And you are correct, McCutch was all over the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've thought to myself many times tonight that I bet Andrew went in the Pirate clubhouse and challenged the pitchers to a man to plunk someone in the next 2 days. He was one angry dude.
    I doubt he has to challenge them. They know what has to be done and I'll bet a Reds batter gets hit sometime tomorrow or Sunday. I think we all know that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I doubt he has to challenge them. They know what has to be done and I'll bet a Reds batter gets hit sometime tomorrow or Sunday. I think we all know that.
    I agree, but I still imagine him saying some harsh stuff in the clubhouse.

And I don't figure warnings will be issued before the game...the MVP candidate just got drilled, umps are gonna let business take care of itself.

Just a thought on Chapman's control tonight... During his battle with Marte (in which he was just a little wild) he was pitching from the full windup. Against Snider (with nobody on) he went to the stretch and put him away quickly. When McCutchen stepped in Chapman went back to the wind up and hit him. The out of the stretch against Jones, he was firing strikes. It may be nothing but I found it odd to switch like that, and he was more wild from the wind up.

Maybe something was throwing him off in his full motion tonight... Just something I noticed that you don't normall see.

Turn Off Ads?