Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The word "undertones" basically means underlying feelings or quality. It would seem to me that racial underlying feelings is just a nicer way of saying someone is racist.
    Look, you can make a poor joke or comment without being a racist. I'm not accusing anybody of being racist, but there are better ways to discuss McCutchen getting angry about getting drilled than calling him a thug. All you do is make yourself look bad doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I suspect we are on the cusp of a huge tangent ... Context is very important in all communications, and an internet message board has next to none. Let's just give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Look, you can make a poor joke or comment without being a racist. I'm not accusing anybody of being racist, but there are better ways to discuss McCutchen getting angry about getting drilled than calling him a thug. All you do is make yourself look bad doing that.
    OK that's fair but don't accuse them of racial undertones if you're not accusing them of being a racist. It's basically the same thing just said in a nicer way.

Not everyone uses the term, as it's actually defined, in the racial sense and suggesting someone does without any proof is a stereotype just like you're accusing others of. Even based on the 'clinical definition' of the term, I wouldn't agree with anyone calling McCutchen a "thug" based on what I know about him, but it doesn't mean someone did so because of race. I don't know how everyone uses the term, as I know there are some that use it improperly, but some use words as they're defined. If someone thinks McCutchen is violent, then calling him a thug doesn't have to be used in a racial context.
    Last edited by Brutus; 08-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    OK that's fair but don't accuse them of racial undertones if you're not accusing them of being a racist. It's basically the same thing just said in a nicer way.

Not everyone uses the term, as it's actually defined, in the racial sense and suggesting someone does without any proof is a stereotype just like you're accusing others of.
    Now you're just getting into logistics. People need to choose their words more carefully. Or don't. Whatever. All it does is make the people making the comments look bad, no matter what their intention may be. I didn't call anybody a racist nor did I imply anybody was a racist no matter how you may try to spin it. Calling an African-American a thug for no reason has racial undertones to it. And I have no reason to not believe traderumour didn't mean anything by what he said, but again, it doesn't look good.

I'm moving on. Have a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Im pretty sure I read that the person who called him a "thug" (WVReds?) said that you have to live near Pittsburgh to understand why they called him that. So perhaps it's not a race issue...

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Im pretty sure I read that the person who called him a "thug" (WVReds?) said that you have to live near Pittsburgh to understand why they called him that. So perhaps it's not a race issue...
    I believe those two are in rival gangs...

Jeeps, 7:10 can not get here fast enough....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Now you're just getting into logistics. People need to choose their words more carefully. Or don't. Whatever. All it does is make the people making the comments look bad, no matter what their intention may be. I didn't call anybody a racist nor did I imply anybody was a racist no matter how you may try to spin it. Calling an African-American a thug for no reason has racial undertones to it. And I have no reason to not believe traderumour didn't mean anything by what he said, but again, it doesn't look good.

I'm moving on. Have a good day.
    Now I know how Mrs. O'Leary's cow must have felt.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

If they think he hit mccutchen on purpose then they better watch out. Height just do that tonight and really get him. I wouldn't get into a hit batsman contest when aroldis can throw 107.

Tupac was the biggest celeb that brought "Thugz" into lexicon.

The only white "Thugz" were Tracy Smothers and the Dirty White Boy Tony Anthony, wrestlers in SMW doing a redneck gimmick.

"T" is for "Tough"
    "H" is for "Hell"
    "U" is for "Ugly"
    and "G" is for "Jail", because everybody knows that a Thug can't spell.

Wow, reading the last couple of pages...

I miss the old board and the old posters :sadkitty:

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Brutus the Pimp has changed his screen name to just Brutus? What a thug.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Not everyone uses the term, as it's actually defined, in the racial sense and suggesting someone does without any proof is a stereotype just like you're accusing others of. Even based on the 'clinical definition' of the term, I wouldn't agree with anyone calling McCutchen a "thug" based on what I know about him, but it doesn't mean someone did so because of race. I don't know how everyone uses the term, as I know there are some that use it improperly, but some use words as they're defined. If someone thinks McCutchen is violent, then calling him a thug doesn't have to be used in a racial context.
    Or you could just do some self-reflection and admit it was inappropriate, move on, and everyone else can to - and we'd all feel better about your ability to recognize how built-in stereotypes are something we some times all struggle with and need to correct or think about more, before spitting out an emotional comment that's just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Tupac was the biggest celeb that brought "Thugz" into lexicon.
    See how well that worked out for him

First time in 22 years the Pirates have been competitive enough to be worth throwing at.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?