Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

NL Central champs

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You can't blame fans for assuming, without a shred of evidence, that someone was intentionally throwing a 102 MPH baseball at someone on purpose?
    A 102 MPH fastball near the head in the ninth inning with 2 outs on their best player, Is it really a stretch to say that was on purpose? I guess I just have a hard time believing that he just happened to hit a batter at the worst time for the Pirates.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    If anybody sees a clip of McCutchen in the dugout afterwards, I'd love to see it. MLB cut the game off very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    A 102 MPH fastball near the head in the ninth inning with 2 outs on their best player, Is it really a stretch to say that was on purpose? I guess I just have a hard time believing that he just happened to hit a batter at the worst time for the Pirates.
    I don't think it's a stretch to say he was trying to brush McCutchen off the plate. He's known for being right up on the plate, so sure I wouldn't at all be surprised he was trying to brush him back. But there's a huge difference trying to pitch inside to knock a guy back and actually trying to hit him with malice intent.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez, score some runs and you don't have to face Chapman in the 9th.

That is, quite literally, the kind of pitch that Bob Gibson never hesitated to throw. Ever.

NL Central champs

I don't think it's a stretch to say he was trying to brush McCutchen off the plate. He's known for being right up on the plate, so sure I wouldn't at all be surprised he was trying to brush him back. But there's a huge difference trying to pitch inside to knock a guy back and actually trying to hit him with malice intent.
    Once again, if a team did that to Votto, Redszone would be upset about it. If you are going to brush a guy off the plate, a 102 MPH fastball is not neccessary.

Once again, if a team did that to Votto, Redszone would be upset about it. If you are going to brush a guy off the plate, a 102 MPH fastball is not neccessary.
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I agree with you. I think it's a bush league move. Between the somersaults, the speeding tickets, the girl tied up in his hotel room, and now this, it's been quite the interesting year for Chapman.

Pirates fans?

You almost had me going for a second there.

I think you're painting with a broad brush. Would some people on Redszone be upset? Maybe. But would everyone or most on Redszone be upset? I doubt that.

I wouldn't be, personally (unless it were a Tony LaRussa-managed Cardinals' team then I would for the sake of hating them).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think you're painting with a broad brush. Would some people on Redszone be upset? Maybe. But would everyone or most on Redszone be upset? I doubt that.

I wouldn't be, personally.
    Dusty would be upset. Just ask Derek Lowe .

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I agree with you. I think it's a bush league move. Between the somersaults, the speeding tickets, the girl tied up in his hotel room, and now this, it's been quite the interesting year for Chapman.
    Give me a break.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

NL Central champs

I wouldn't be, personally (unless it were a Tony LaRussa-managed Cardinals' team then I would for the sake of hating them).
    Obviously not all of RZ would be mad in that situation, I guess we will have to disagree on how many people would be upset. When you are throwing a brushback pitch, is a 102 MPH fastball necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe "Cutch" should worry about backing up the LFer rather than complaining about getting hit.
    YES. That cost them a run.

I posted about this in tonight's game thread, but I'll say the same thing here. I don't think even for the slightest that Chapman was trying to hit Cutch... I even have doubts he was trying to brush him back... I think it was simply a fastball that got away from him.

I do believe that there will be some attempt at retribution in this series though, especially if Hanrahan comes in to pitch.

Hanrahan did that to the Reds in 2010 when Mike Leake hit Cutch with a changeup by hitting a Reds batter the very next inning... He may have even hit Mike Leake. At any rate, sometime this weekend I'd count on a Reds hitter getting nailed by a pitch.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Three words.

Kimo von Oelhoffen.

"Pirate" fans (LOL) can zip it and put their Big Ben jerseys back on.

Turn Off Ads?