Redman 0-1 10.80

Also had 6 different pitchers earn a save this season so far;

Hoover 1 of 1
    Chapman 35 of 40
    Marshall 9 of 13
    Ondrusek 2 of 4
    Arredondo 1 of 2
    Broxton 1 of 3

Wonder what is the fewest starters used by the Reds in a season is?
    Wonder what is the most pitchers to have had a save for the Reds in a season is?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starters & Closers

I've looked at the number of starters teams use each year. Its often 8-9 guys due to injuries & ineffectiveness. The Reds have been quite lucky this year.

Senor Votto

It's pretty impressive they've basically only had 5 starters this year.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

If not for the new 26-man roster rule, we'd wouldn't even have used that sixth starter. Can we get some sort of exemption for that? Or do we not care, since we all sort of hope the Reds use another extra starter or two and rest the real rotation down the stretch?

Is there an outside shot at having five 10-game winners in the roation and two 10-game savers in the bullpen?

And if so, when was the last time that happened?

Rick

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    If not for the new 26-man roster rule, we'd wouldn't even have used that sixth starter. Can we get some sort of exemption for that? Or do we not care, since we all sort of hope the Reds use another extra starter or two and rest the real rotation down the stretch?

Is there an outside shot at having five 10-game winners in the roation and two 10-game savers in the bullpen?

And if so, when was the last time that happened?

Rick
    The '75 team had six and two.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Good to know. A little before my time as a Baseball Scholar, so I hope my ignorance is forgiven, but a very interesting tidbit. The multiple guys with 10 wins are certainly the more intriguing over the 10 saves guys, and the '75 Reds had SIX of the former? Neat.

I guess it's not TOO surprising... if you go back to the days of 4-man rotations and no pitch counts, guys were getting both more starts and more decisions. A guy could get 10 wins in half a season, easy. A "well-timed" injury, and two starters covering one slot in the rotation could each get 10 wins... but that's still only 5 starters getting 10 wins. Did the Reds have 2 injuries in '75, or is this counting relief wins, too?

Rick
    Last edited by FlightRick; 09-15-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Good to know. A little before my time, but a very interesting tidbit.

I guess it's not TOO surprising... if you go back to the days of 4-man rotations and no pitch counts, guys were getting both more starts and more decisions. A guy could get 10 wins in half a season, easy. A "well-timed" injury, and two starters covering one slot in the rotation could each get 10 wins... but that's still only 5 starters getting 10 wins. Did the Reds have 2 injuries in '75, or is this counting relief wins, too?

Rick
    Don Gullett, Jack Billingham and Gray Nolan all had 15 wins as a starter. Fred Norman won 11 games as a starter and 1 in relief. Pat Darcy won 9 games as a starter and 2 in relief. Clay Kirby won 7 games as a starter and 3 in relief.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Good to know. A little before my time as a Baseball Scholar, so I hope my ignorance is forgiven, but a very interesting tidbit. The multiple guys with 10 wins are certainly the more intriguing over the 10 saves guys, and the '75 Reds had SIX of the former? Neat.

Rick
    According to Retrosheet the Reds had 8 starters in 1975. Clay Carroll had two starts and Tom Carroll had 7 starts beside the other six that have been mentioned. IIRC, Tom Carroll made his starts while filling in for Don Gullett after he broke a thumb and was out for about 6 weeks or so.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/UPCIN01975.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The '03 Mariners only used 5 SPs all season, all 5 started at least 32 games and finished with at least 11 wins. Looks like the only DH they played was between 2 off days so no spot starter or short rest start was needed.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If you go way back, the 1882 Cincinnati Reds only had 3 starters in a 80 game season. Will White started 54 games and won 40. Not a surprise his career only went 5-6 seasons.

Turn Off Ads?