Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yep, I could care less who wins the battle of knockdown pitches. Just win the baseball game.
    Yes. THIS. And if they have to do something extracurricular, how but make it be great plays at key moments of the game or getting back up off of the ground in response to a metaphorical punch in the nose (i.e. like coming back from a big deficit)?

The nation is watching because this is a meaningful series, probably one of the most compelling ones of the weekend. I kinda hope the nation isn't treated to Cardinals series 2.0.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Really? Haven't noticed anything of the sort.

A Cuban plunked a black dude. This is a racial situation now?
    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Uh oh, he turned his hat sideways. That was probably a signal to the boyz to retaliazizzle.
    Earlier in the thread (I'm too lazy to find it) McCutchen was referred to as a "thug" as well. Black guy must be a thug.

EDIT: he was actually called a thug in the game thread.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    And this thread contains the suggestion that Leake goes out and make a pre-emptive strike by hitting Andrew again. Fans will be fans. They are not always rational but, as much as we like to pretend, they are not much different from city to city.
    My post was in response to the question regarding why we have to hate every team that's a competitor, to which I responded they make it easy. I have no doubt we make it easy for them as well. I never said this was unique.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Again, remember in Bull Durham when Crash Davis tells Tim Robbins to hit the bull behind him with a wild pitch?

A little wildness can be an effective tool. Now the next hitter has to decide not only whether or not to swing or not swing, but whether to get out of the way too. Adds another dimension.

I don't think he tried to hit him. I think it was a brushback pitch, and Chapman can be wild from time to time anyway.

I hope it gets in the Pirates crawl. I hope they concentrate more on retaliating than winning. Because that would be the dumb thing to do. I hope McDonald hits one of our batters in the first inning, gets ejected, they have to wear out their bullpen all day, and we take advantage of it today and tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Earlier in the thread (I'm too lazy to find it) McCutchen was referred to as a "thug" as well. Black guy must be a thug.

I don't think anyone should be making a race issue out of the term thug. It's not a racial term by definition, and unless you have evidence that someone called him a thug merely because he's black, I don't think this should be a topic of conversation on here. You're really reaching.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If you're gonna call people out, you have to at least have the right thread.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

You are reeeeeeeeealy reaching here. Be careful you don't pop your shoulder out of socket.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...?urn=mlb,wp614

Thought this was interesting. I like McCutchen and think he's a great player, but he seems to have a thing about perceiving other players as trying to hurt him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You are reeeeeeeeealy reaching here. Be careful you don't pop your shoulder out of socket.
    I'll let it go, but I'm not reaching at all. Randomly calling an African-American a thug (for pretty much no reason) and saying turning your hat sideways is a sign for the "boyz to retaliazizzle" has pretty obvious racial undertones to it. For some reason I think of Neil Walker did the same thing the term "thug" would have never been used. I'll leave it at that.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

To comment on this direction of "thug" takes the thread to another place so I have no comment. To me, it is not baseball related

Me thinks you may be taking this message board stuff too seriously. I think my mocking statement is probably about 15 years behind the times. But.........there is a HUGE difference between teasing about a cultural distinctive and racism. My black brothers in law and my biracial nephews and adopted son have yet to accuse me of racism, so cool it with the accusations, pal.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-04-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Me thinks you may be taking this message board stuff too seriously. I think my mocking statement is probably about 15 years behind the times. But.........there is a HUGE difference between teasing about a cultural distinctive and racism. My black brothers in law and my biracial nephews and adopted son have yet to accuse me of racism, so cool it with the accusations, pal.
    I never accused you of being a racist, just said it had racial undertones. Considering I've gotten multiple private messages agreeing with me, perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, pal.

I'm with reds44 and was thinking it before even reading this thread. I saw thug being used last night and then again now I saw it as thread title in the Sun Deck. Maybe people are not aware of how that word is taken by some. I'm certainty not saying you're a racist if you use it but I will say maybe you should choose words more carefully. Like it was said same incident occurs with Neil Walker and that word isn't used once. I've never heard a bad word about Andrew McCutchon and I think it is low class for this board to start calling him a thug. I won't say more in this thread but I felt the need to mention there was at least one more person on Redszone who thinks we can do better than calling a guy a thug.

I never accused you of being a racist, just said it had racial undertones. Considering I've gotten multiple private messages agreeing with me, perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, pal.
    Then people are joining you in taking this discussion way too seriously. Trust me, you and apparently others are overreacting to a corny joke by amiddle aged white guy who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and has never been accused of racist comments in my life, so back off and move on. BTW, sideways hat and flat billed caps are gang ware for all manner of ethnicities, for the record.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The word "undertones" basically means underlying feelings or quality. It would seem to me that racial underlying feelings is just a nicer way of saying someone is racist.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?