Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    He called him a "Nice Guy" right?
    You know what they say: Nice guys finish third from last.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Much ado about nothing apparently. BP and Hughes hashed out their issues over the phone with McCutcheon as the go-between. End of story?

Fair use excerpt, a quote from BP from Fay's story:

“We reached out, and me and Mr. Hughes had a great conversation before I came to the stadium today. It was the best thing that ever happened.....It was just a big misunderstanding. When you say certain things in the heat of the moment, you really don’t mean it. You forgive people. He forgave me. I forgive him. It’s the baseball family. I love him as a brother.”
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Is it just me, or does Brandon sound a bit sarcastic in that quote? I'm sure he's giving the whole kiss and make-up thing lip service, but I can't imagine that much bad blood just vanishes after a phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Is it just me, or does Brandon sound a bit sarcastic in that quote? I'm sure he's giving the whole kiss and make-up thing lip service, but I can't imagine that much bad blood just vanishes after a phone call.
    I didn't read it that way. He seems like a business man--you talk to me, I talk to you, we handle business. I think if Hughes really apologized or showed that he was misunderstood, Brandon ends it there.

Unless you're a Cardinal or an Indian.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Good to hear.

All over the radio waves in Pittsburgh today. They're upset Phillips made references on Twitter rather than dealing with it "in an official capacity". The talk show hosts are making some questionable comments from a racial perspective IMHO.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    All over the radio waves in Pittsburgh today. They're upset Phillips made references on Twitter rather than dealing with it "in an official capacity". The talk show hosts are making some questionable comments from a racial perspective IMHO.
    That's sports talk radio for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Even more reason why I'm enjoying The Pirates' face-first slide into oblivion down the stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Even more reason why I'm enjoying The Pirates' face-first slide into oblivion down the stretch.
    Absolutely.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

So I'm curious as to what was said by Hughes that could be construed as racist by BP? I have a hard time believing a "talk" would make up for a racist comment.

Just a misunderstanding?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    So I'm curious as to what was said by Hughes that could be construed as racist by BP? I have a hard time believing a "talk" would make up for a racist comment.

Just a misunderstanding?
    From the Fay article, it is believed Hughes used the term "boy", which has some undertones in it in certain parts of the country. A talk about that certainly could has made up for it, particularly if Hughes didn't know that or said something like "quit acting like a little boy, or come get some big boy" but Brandon didn't hear all of it.

I do not think Hughes meant it in that context..... but I can understand why Phillips would hear "boy" and take offense to it.
    I thought he should have laid off the twitter and dealt it with in private. He did not use the n word....which would have been no question as to what Hughes meant, as opposed to saying boy.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

They just said on the telecast that Phillips has since said "it's not over" since he gave that quote. I am confused.

Turn Off Ads?