Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Brandon Phillips‏@DatDudeBP

#RealTalk... Not really surprised by what I heard come outta another player's mouth tonite but DAMN... Still PISSED bout that $h¡+!! #Racism

Then later he wrote

#RealTalk: Great convo b4 I got to the park & ALL IS GOOD! Hopefully next time he'll throw me a pitch I can hit LOL
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

In addition to the Hughes- Philllips episode, Pirate TV-casters have over the past two seasons, at least, more than implied that Brandon is a showboat, in particular trying to make barely-beyond-routine plays look more difficult than they actually are.

I agree with them, even to the extent that this season, in what looks to me to be his attempt to make the play look more difficult, on occasion he has actually then missed the ball completely.

I love the ball player, Phillips, but I do not like the "styling" Phillips. On an extremely close double play, his bare-hand catch and throw on the pivot might be worth the risk, but not on the plain old ordinary DPs.

I am not entertained by his snail's pace at leaving the batter's box after a strikeout and so slowly meandering back to the dugout. But it does keep him on camera longer.

Remember the somewhat high, somewhat inside pitch to him (I think in 2010), when he offered some body language protest that led to both benches emptying onto the field (no punches thrown, can't recall what team).

Recall that it was his negative comments to the press about the Cardinals that started the whole bad blood with St. Louis, and the brawl that ensued.

Now it appears that Brandon again would like the whole team to fight his fight for him.

I wish Phillips would do nothing more than just play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    In addition to the Hughes- Philllips episode, Pirate TV-casters have over the past two seasons, at least, more than implied that Brandon is a showboat, in particular trying to make barely-beyond-routine plays look more difficult than they actually are.

I agree with them, even to the extent that this season, in what looks to me to be his attempt to make the play look more difficult, on occasion he has actually then missed the ball completely.

I love the ball player, Phillips, but I do not like the "styling" Phillips. On an extremely close double play, his bare-hand catch and throw on the pivot might be worth the risk, but not on the plain old ordinary DPs.

I am not entertained by his snail's pace at leaving the batter's box after a strikeout and so slowly meandering back to the dugout. But it does keep him on camera longer.

Remember the somewhat high, somewhat inside pitch to him (I think in 2010), when he offered some body language protest that led to both benches emptying onto the field (no punches thrown, can't recall what team).

Recall that it was his negative comments to the press about the Cardinals that started the whole bad blood with St. Louis, and the brawl that ensued.

Now it appears that Brandon again would like the whole team to fight his fight for him.

He might show off a little bit but I don't think he turns routine plays into hard ones at all. He isn't Jim Edmonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post

#RealTalk... Not really surprised by what I heard come outta another player's mouth tonite but DAMN... Still PISSED bout that $h¡+!! #Racism

Then later he wrote

#RealTalk: Great convo b4 I got to the park & ALL IS GOOD! Hopefully next time he'll throw me a pitch I can hit LOL
    WVP - they have been referring not to his tweets, but to interviews he gave. Yesterday (Wednesday) I believe, after everything was supposedly "cleared up". Not sure what the outlets were, but you can probably find them by googling.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Pirate fans need to be worrying more about their team not finishing over .500 again than what Brandon Phillips said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love the fact that probably 95 percent (or more) of Pirate fans are also Steeler fans. It's about time those people have some misery. It's one thing for the Pirates to stink all year like they did for 18 straight years. But it's another thing to fool your fanbase into thinking you're good two years in a row, only to fall flat on your face. They were convinced they'd at least be a wildcard this year. Now they might not even hang on to that winning record.

Every Steeler fan I know is a classless piece of work. They love throwing it in Bengals' fans face how much we stink. So, I'm definitely not feeling sorry for the Pirate fans, since most of them are the same classless Steeler fans.

Funny thing about Columbus, Ohio: You can find Steeler fans everywhere. Pirate fans? Endangered species. Well, every Steeler fan says they're also a Pirate fan, but it's funny how they only wear Steelers gear out, never Pirate gear.

Anyway, bottom line is watching the Pirates incredible slide has been a fun sidebar during the Reds' excellent season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Pirate fans need to be worrying more about their team not finishing over .500 again than what Brandon Phillips said.
    That would require them to have an interest in the actual sport of baseball. I don't understand.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 09-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I love the fact that probably 95 percent (or more) of Pirate fans are also Steeler fans. It's about time those people have some misery. It's one thing for the Pirates to stink all year like they did for 18 straight years. But it's another thing to fool your fanbase into thinking you're good two years in a row, only to fall flat on your face. They were convinced they'd at least be a wildcard this year. Now they might not even hang on to that winning record.

Every Steeler fan I know is a classless piece of work. They love throwing it in Bengals' fans face how much we stink. So, I'm definitely not feeling sorry for the Pirate fans, since most of them are the same classless Steeler fans.

Funny thing about Columbus, Ohio: You can find Steeler fans everywhere. Pirate fans? Endangered species. Well, every Steeler fan says they're also a Pirate fan, but it's funny how they only wear Steelers gear out, never Pirate gear.

Anyway, bottom line is watching the Pirates incredible slide has been a fun sidebar during the Reds' excellent season.
    I agree. They also think a Permanti Brothers sandwich stuffed with frech fries is fine dining at its best too. They even wear their best t-shirts (the one with the fewest mayonaise stains) when they go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

Spot on. I wholeheartedly agree with every word of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post

I basically disagree with evrything you say. I understand that you don't like Brandon, and that is certainly your right. But when you go back over three seasons and pick out a few things, and spin them the way our opponents do, no thanks.

Phillips makes plenty of routine plays, and they look very routine to me. I do not think he ever makes them harder than they are. He makes lots of non-barehand doubleplays, and I can't remember him dropping a ball on the pivot because he went barehand. Those gold gloves are no accident. I often listen to or watch our opponent's broadcasts, and most of their announcers comment about how good Phillips is.

Phillips plays through minor injuries that some players would sit for. That may make him a little slower than when he is 100%, but I see him giving his best when he is on the field.

Does he let his feelings show? You bet, so do lots of players. Most of the time, he is the happiest Red out there, and plays with a big smile.

When you say you don't like the 'stylin Phillips', are you sure you aren't being a little unfair? Brandon is Brandon. Period.

The Cardinals episode a few years ago was long in building up. They complained about everything, and even Dusty had made comments BEFORE the brawl. There was bad blood between LaRussa and Baker. Carpenter complained about the mound...etc. Phillips said they were a bunch of little [female dogs], and as I remember, almost all of Redszone agreed, although we saw trouble coming by him speaking out.

Why do you say Brandon wants the whole team to "fight his fight for him"? I haven't seen that anywhere.

I have a ton of respect for Brandon.

Let DatdudeBP be DatDudeBP.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I basically disagree with evrything you say. I understand that you don't like Brandon, and that is certainly your right. But when you go back over three seasons and pick out a few things, and spin them the way our opponents do, no thanks.

Phillips makes plenty of routine plays, and they look very routine to me. I do not think he ever makes them harder than they are. He makes lots of non-barehand doubleplays, and I can't remember him dropping a ball on the pivot because he went barehand. Those gold gloves are no accident. I often listen to or watch our opponent's broadcasts, and most of their announcers comment about how good Phillips is.

Phillips plays through minor injuries that some players would sit for. That may make him a little slower than when he is 100%, but I see him giving his best when he is on the field.

Does he let his feelings show? You bet, so do lots of players. Most of the time, he is the happiest Red out there, and plays with a big smile.

When you say you don't like the 'stylin Phillips', are you sure you aren't being a little unfair? Brandon is Brandon. Period.

The Cardinals episode a few years ago was long in building up. They complained about everything, and even Dusty had made comments BEFORE the brawl. There was bad blood between LaRussa and Baker. Carpenter complained about the mound...etc. Phillips said they were a bunch of little [female dogs], and as I remember, almost all of Redszone agreed, although we saw trouble coming by him speaking out.

Why do you say Brandon wants the whole team to "fight his fight for him"? I haven't seen that anywhere.

I have a ton of respect for Brandon.

Let DatdudeBP be DatDudeBP.
    Just spot on. And Brandon is the highlight every night with his defense. And if there is anything this team needs, it's attitude.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It's an enormous deal here. Hurdle's giving interviews about it. Apparently Phillips re-brought up the matter, saying that Hughes called him boy and later apologized for it. Hughes has taken tremendous offense at this, saying that he never used that word and did not apologize for it (he called Phillips and apologized for cursing).

Hurdle is adamant that people can watch tape and see what Hughes was saying to verify his claim.

Someone is clearly not telling the truth here, making the whole thing a grillion times more ridiculous (and insulting, no matter who's lying) than it needs to be. I suppose it's possible that someone doesn't *believe* he's not telling the truth, i.e., Hughes didn't use the word but Phillips misheard him.
    I'm beginning to think maybe BP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It's an enormous deal here. Hurdle's giving interviews about it. Apparently Phillips re-brought up the matter, saying that Hughes called him boy and later apologized for it. Hughes has taken tremendous offense at this, saying that he never used that word and did not apologize for it (he called Phillips and apologized for cursing).

Hurdle is adamant that people can watch tape and see what Hughes was saying to verify his claim.

Someone is clearly not telling the truth here, making the whole thing a grillion times more ridiculous (and insulting, no matter who's lying) than it needs to be. I suppose it's possible that someone doesn't *believe* he's not telling the truth, i.e., Hughes didn't use the word but Phillips misheard him.
    Yes, it is much more acceptable to accuse a person of engaging in incestuous sexual relations with the person who give birth to him, than to allege that he is a young human being of male gender.
    Complicated thing, this language of yours.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I suppose it's possible that someone doesn't *believe* he's not telling the truth, i.e., Hughes didn't use the word but Phillips misheard him.
    "It's not a lie if you believe it."

George Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'm beginning to think maybe BP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    I'm not sure where intelligence is a factor in this dispute. Geniuses, the slow-witted, and everything in between don't like being insulted with profanity or racial slurs, whatever the truth is.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?