Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I don't think it's a stretch to say he was trying to brush McCutchen off the plate. He's known for being right up on the plate, so sure I wouldn't at all be surprised he was trying to brush him back. But there's a huge difference trying to pitch inside to knock a guy back and actually trying to hit him with malice intent.
    Exactly. McCutchen was crowding the plate. That pitch was not that far inside. It was likely a purpose pitch. I don't think Chapman intentionally hit him, but I also don't think he was too concerned if he did hit him. As for Chapman's control, I don't think it's pinpoint. He is sometimes wild in the zone. But his extreme velocity often intimidates batters into swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That is, quite literally, the kind of pitch that Bob Gibson never hesitated to throw. Ever.
    Absolutely! If anyone stood on top of the plate against Gibson or Drysdale, a high hard one was practically guaranteed. Two outs in the ninth and nobody on with a 3-0 lead is the perfect time for a brushback.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I don't blame him for being pissed about it at all...actually commend him for brushing it off like he did and Chapman not backing down - all the macho stuff is silly but it's baseball and it happens.

I suspect the Pirates are going to be pretty focused and tough to beat tomorrow. If the Reds win again, it'll be a great statement game, sort of asserting their superiority, and I like it, and I love Chapman's attitude and competitive nature, as well as Latos', these guys aren't the same as the 2010 team that got schooled in the post season at all. They may not score a lot of runs against elite teams, especially with their two best bats on the bench, but they are confident as hell, fun to watch. The city's buzzing.
    Or it could go the opposite and they could pull a Reds in 2010 after the brawl and get swept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    McCutcheon and the Pissburgh fans planned on them coming in here this weekend and making a major statement. Losing the first game of the series kind of limits them to making a minor comment or two. Got to vent their collective spleens somewhere.
    Ok, first of all, I have to say, enough with the name calling of the cities. Put down the team for the actions all you want, but going beyond that is bush-league fandom.

That aside, I agree with this. I think the Pirates are freaking out a bit. They remind me a lot of the Reds in 2010 at this point in the season, before the Cards fell apart and the Reds' lock on the division was secured. And that's right when the Reds-Cards brawl happened, if memory serves.

I think they were upset about the Heisey call and let it get to them emotionally, which was compounded by their inability to do anything on the field the rest of the game. Come the 9th, this happens, and McCutchen freaks out. McCutchen is well-known as an extremely level-headed player and I've never seen him angry like that. I don't necessarily think Chapman hit him intentionally, but I'm guessing he didn't exactly look apologetic after Cutch looked up in a fit of anger from being plunked hard.

The Pirates feel tremendous pressure to prove they are the real deal right now. Facing a first-place team at this point in the year -- it's huge. And one thing that hasn't been mentioned in here is that Pirates fans (beyond being part of a sports fanbase that, I feel, is ridiculously sour grapey about calls generally) one gajillion percent hold the Braves call as the turning point of their season last year. People still talk about it all the time. They have no memory of the Buccos collapsing handily on their own after that, only that call. So the pirates have a very bad chip on their shoulder about calls, I think.

I hope everybody channels their emotion onto the field, because this game was uncomfortable in a way I don't like. I like the Reds being able to stand up for themselves, but -- and I'm sorry if people don't agree with me -- I really, as a fan of this team living outside Cincinnati, don't want to have to get in a position where I'm constantly defending them as a thug team. This happened with their division rival two years ago and it's going to get tougher to defend if it happens again, even if the Reds aren't entirely at fault. On a larger level, the Pirates are the feel-good baseball story right now, so somebody has to be the villain by default. The Reds are too good a team to have to resort to that. and it would make my life completely miserable.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-04-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    As for Chapman's control, I don't think it's pinpoint. He is sometimes wild in the zone. But his extreme velocity often intimidates batters into swinging.
    I feel like there's a big assumption in saying it was intentional, or even that Chapman was trying to "brush him back". Regardless of his walk rate, Chapman throws some incredibly errant pitches relatively often. Unless he's planning on living on the outside part of the plate his whole career, some batters are probably gonna get plunked along the way. The fact that Cutch is the face of the team made it seem more intentional than it probably was...that and Chapman pinpointing three straight fastballs to strikeout the next batter. <----I've always wanted to use that.

I just don't see the big deal about a hit by pitch in an otherwise low-key game. As Superdude just said, Chapman seems to throw them to the backstop on a fairly regular basis and he has 3 HBP's this year. I suppose I could understand an uproar if McCutchen WAS plunked in the head at 100 MPH, but he wasn't nor was he particularly close to being.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That is, quite literally, the kind of pitch that Bob Gibson never hesitated to throw. Ever.
    Absolutely. If you were one who crowded the plate on Bob, he'd send you a strong signal without hesitation. Chapman didn't intentionally try to hit him, so Cutch needs to get over himself. That "contest" has always existed between who is going to dominate that zone - the pitcher or the hitter. Both think they own the plate. One has a ball in his hand, the other a piece of lumber. Somethings gotta give. Let the game begin!

But if Cutch is going to crowd the plate, which he does, then maybe he needs to stop by Barry Bonds Body Armor Store, cause he's going to get nailed again. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 08-04-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe "Cutch" should worry about backing up the LFer rather than complaining about getting hit.
    Yeah. He should be livid that he contributed to giving up the winning run that cost his team.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Pitchers are allowed to pitch inside. When did this become a game for little girls? I don't think he was trying to hit him. He did. So what?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Worth The Wait

Call me a Caveman, but I'm all for it. Never support intentional plunking anywhere near the head, but if Chap went WAY inside with the "well, if it hits him it hits him" mindset, I'm ok with that. I enjoy the machismo and unwritten rules that have always defined baseball.

Haunted by walks

McCutchen and the Pirates' dugout were visibly upset by the plunking, but McCutchen planned to channel any lingering displeasure into a revved-up performance on Saturday.

"It just pumped us up," McCutchen said. "And that's the feeling we're going to take on the field [Saturday]."
    from the MLB.com post-game story

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I believe it was an intentional drilling of the guy, and yes, there's never a good time to do that.

Why is there even a need to brush him back? The game was pretty much over. Even if McCutchson hits a HR, there's a lefty on deck that probably has no chance of getting a hit against Chapman.

If you are going to brush the guy back throw the ball at about hip level.
    Pitchers do that all the time.. no need to throw near head level like Chapman did. I'm not sure what Chapman accomplished, other then making a fool out of himself and firing up the Pirates even more.

I am pretty sure the Pirates get Leake and Homer next.. not exactly the most steady hands on the Reds staff.. although both will be well rested, since their last outings were short..
    Tony LaRussa has hacked REDREAD's account.

Personally, it looked like one got away from Chapman. McCutcheon needs to get over himself.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    from the MLB.com post-game story
    Raisor will bring the same question as he did when people were saying that Rolen had reved up HIS game.

This quote implies that the Pirates weren't reved up for last night's game, right?

If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Raisor will bring the same question as he did when people were saying that Rolen had reved up HIS game.

This quote implies that the Pirates weren't reved up for last night's game, right?

If not, why not?
    Different kind of revved up. But you probably know that.

I don't have an issue with Chapman hitting McCutchen - whether it was quasi on purpose or not. I also don't have a problem with the Pirates being upset and retaliating in some fashion. As long as it is within the rules of the game and no clear intent to injure (the pitches stay below the head) - it's just some good old fashioned baseball right there.

Nothing would be better than if both the Reds and Pirates were legitimate enough for long enough for this to become a rivalry again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

If not, why not?
    I'm with you. As if getting "fired up" is a performance enhancer in a game where repitition, tempo and timing are the core components of the game's skills.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?