Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates fans are livid

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Pirates fans are livid

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not real keen on the "Cutch" nickname, esp. on a Reds fan board, but that might just be my pet peeve.
    Agree. First I've heard of the nickname as well.

Seems kind of overly manufactured. Kind of like their outrage from last night.

Oh well, I guess before you can "act like you've been there before", you have to have spent a little time actually BEING there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Agree. First I've heard of the nickname as well.

Seems kind of overly manufactured. Kind of like their outrage from last night.

Oh well, I guess before you can "act like you've been there before", you have to have spent a little time actually BEING there.
    He's always been called Cutch. Same as A-Rod or K-Rod or anything else. It's as manufactured as any other nickname in sports.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He's always been called Cutch. Same as A-Rod or K-Rod or anything else. It's as manufactured as any other nickname in sports.

Difference is that I've heard of A-Rod, K-Rod, etc.

Never heard of "Cutch" and within a day it's been used several times on the board.

Ok, first of all, I have to say, enough with the name calling of the cities. Put down the team for the actions all you want, but going beyond that is bush-league fandom.

That aside, I agree with this. I think the Pirates are freaking out a bit. They remind me a lot of the Reds in 2010 at this point in the season, before the Cards fell apart and the Reds' lock on the division was secured. And that's right when the Reds-Cards brawl happened, if memory serves.

I think they were upset about the Heisey call and let it get to them emotionally, which was compounded by their inability to do anything on the field the rest of the game. Come the 9th, this happens, and McCutchen freaks out. McCutchen is well-known as an extremely level-headed player and I've never seen him angry like that. I don't necessarily think Chapman hit him intentionally, but I'm guessing he didn't exactly look apologetic after Cutch looked up in a fit of anger from being plunked hard.

The Pirates feel tremendous pressure to prove they are the real deal right now. Facing a first-place team at this point in the year -- it's huge. And one thing that hasn't been mentioned in here is that Pirates fans (beyond being part of a sports fanbase that, I feel, is ridiculously sour grapey about calls generally) one gajillion percent hold the Braves call as the turning point of their season last year. People still talk about it all the time. They have no memory of the Buccos collapsing handily on their own after that, only that call. So the pirates have a very bad chip on their shoulder about calls, I think.

I hope everybody channels their emotion onto the field, because this game was uncomfortable in a way I don't like. I like the Reds being able to stand up for themselves, but -- and I'm sorry if people don't agree with me -- I really, as a fan of this team living outside Cincinnati, don't want to have to get in a position where I'm constantly defending them as a thug team. This happened with their division rival two years ago and it's going to get tougher to defend if it happens again, even if the Reds aren't entirely at fault. On a larger level, the Pirates are the feel-good baseball story right now, so somebody has to be the villain by default. The Reds are too good a team to have to resort to that. and it would make my life completely miserable.
    I just want to go back to this GREAT post. I'm in full agreement regarding saying things like Pukesburgh and the like. It's really bad form and makes Redszone appear to be like other forums. It's not a stretch to say that we Reds fans have to learn how to deal with greater success.

Now, regarding the Reds becoming bullies: I think all great teams have swagger and some of them learn how to not appear like bullies. Believe me, I'm not a Yankee fan but "Yankee tradition" comes to mind. i think the Reds may vary here and there and vary as they learn their own way to kick butt and I think they will never be as aggressive as (for example) the '86 Mets.
    Dusty sets a tone in this department - as does Joey.
    And I'll say it again, Chapman was taking the inside of his plate back. I think it is cool the way this situation mirrors the '10 Reds and Cards. This series just got a lot better. Thanks Aroldis! (and I mean that!)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Difference is that I've heard of A-Rod, K-Rod, etc.

Never heard of "Cutch" and within a day it's been used several times on the board.
    Then you just missed it somehow. It's a long-standing nickname on a national level, at least as far as the media is concerned. Do a google search for "cutch pirates 2010". It's been a marketing tool for years, Cutch shirts all over Pittsburgh. It's the first line on his wikipedia page.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Well, lets be honest, the Pirates aren't manufacturing anything outside of Pittsburgh, and probably isn't widely known there, so to put in the "K-Rod" or "A-Rod" or even "Cargo" category is a bit of an overstatement on its status as vernacular.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

For those of you who haven't seen it ... here is McCutchen in the dugout after the game ...

http://youtu.be/DSS20zemaPE

(The language is a little blue at the end, not McCutchen, but whoever taped it)
    Last edited by GullyFoyle; 08-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GullyFoyle View Post
    For those of you who haven't seen it ... here is McCutchen in the dugout after the game ...

Uh oh, he turned his hat sideways. That was probably a signal to the boyz to retaliazizzle.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by GullyFoyle View Post

(The language is a little blue at the end, not McCutchen, but whoever taped it)
    Look at the comments on that YouTube video. PieRats fans are saying that AC was intentionally trying to end McCutchen's career.

More evidence that they haven't paid a lick of attention to baseball in 20 years.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, lets be honest, the Pirates aren't manufacturing anything outside of Pittsburgh, and probably isn't widely known there, so to put in the "K-Rod" or "A-Rod" or even "Cargo" category is a bit of an overstatement on its status as vernacular.
    Dusty probably calls him Cutchy. At least they don't call him McClutchin' ...

Anyway, he's their Votto. How would we react?

Ok, first of all, I have to say, enough with the name calling of the cities. Put down the team for the actions all you want, but going beyond that is bush-league fandom.

That aside, I agree with this. I think the Pirates are freaking out a bit. They remind me a lot of the Reds in 2010 at this point in the season, before the Cards fell apart and the Reds' lock on the division was secured. And that's right when the Reds-Cards brawl happened, if memory serves.

I think they were upset about the Heisey call and let it get to them emotionally, which was compounded by their inability to do anything on the field the rest of the game. Come the 9th, this happens, and McCutchen freaks out. McCutchen is well-known as an extremely level-headed player and I've never seen him angry like that. I don't necessarily think Chapman hit him intentionally, but I'm guessing he didn't exactly look apologetic after Cutch looked up in a fit of anger from being plunked hard.

The Pirates feel tremendous pressure to prove they are the real deal right now. Facing a first-place team at this point in the year -- it's huge. And one thing that hasn't been mentioned in here is that Pirates fans (beyond being part of a sports fanbase that, I feel, is ridiculously sour grapey about calls generally) one gajillion percent hold the Braves call as the turning point of their season last year. People still talk about it all the time. They have no memory of the Buccos collapsing handily on their own after that, only that call. So the pirates have a very bad chip on their shoulder about calls, I think.

I hope everybody channels their emotion onto the field, because this game was uncomfortable in a way I don't like. I like the Reds being able to stand up for themselves, but -- and I'm sorry if people don't agree with me -- I really, as a fan of this team living outside Cincinnati, don't want to have to get in a position where I'm constantly defending them as a thug team. This happened with their division rival two years ago and it's going to get tougher to defend if it happens again, even if the Reds aren't entirely at fault. On a larger level, the Pirates are the feel-good baseball story right now, so somebody has to be the villain by default. The Reds are too good a team to have to resort to that. and it would make my life completely miserable.
    Agreed. I was able to visit Pittsburgh last summer. BEAUTIFUL city, with wonderful people. And I don't know why we, as Reds fans, have to hate every single team that serves as competition. I for one am glad to see the Pirates back from the dead. It's good for baseball, and good for our entertainment value.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Agreed. I was able to visit Pittsburgh last summer. BEAUTIFUL city, with wonderful people. And I don't know why we, as Reds fans, have to hate every single team that serves as competition. I for one am glad to see the Pirates back from the dead. It's good for baseball, and good for our entertainment value.
    Yeah, but these Pirates fans are reminding me of Steelers fans. Not good.

If I was Aroldis, everytime I came in, my first pitch would be behind the batter, then I would rub my eyes and squint really hard for the next sign. Bet there'd be some dancing in the batter's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Yeah, but these Pirates fans are reminding me of Steelers fans. Not good.
    They're proud of their city, and their teams. I've come to respect them since visiting them. It's a beautiful place, and if I was from there I'd probably boast too haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    They make it easy when their message board has multiple threads on how best to retaliate. I'm especially tickled by those calling for pitches to the head. The city might be great, but that doesn't mean their sports fans have an ounce of class. I do agree that the variations of Pittsburgh reek of juvenile behavior.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?