Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cingrani to the pen?

Cingrani to the pen?

Scenario: The Reds front office decides they have to try Aroldis in the rotation and move him next spring. Joseph has been dealt and I'm not sure Bray will be back. If Cingrani were to have a strong spring, would you move him to the pen as the 2nd lefty, then let him compete for Bronson's spot in 2014? Or would you leave him in L'Ville as a starter to work on his offspeed stuff?

I'm starting to believe this may be moot because Aroldis may be our closer for years to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cingrani to the pen?

After next season, Arroyo is gone.

IF (notice the capital letters) Chapman goes to the rotation or IF (again, capitals) Corcino goes completely ace-level bonkers, yeah, I could see Cingrani as a Greg Kimbrel-style closer.

That won't happen in 2013, even if Chapman does move to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    After next season, Arroyo is gone.

IF (notice the capital letters) Chapman goes to the rotation or IF (again, capitals) Corcino goes completely ace-level bonkers, yeah, I could see Cingrani as a Greg Kimbrel-style closer.
    Yeah, I was saying put TC in the bullpen for next year and let him compete for the 2014 rotation spot Bronson will vacate.

IF Chapman were to got to the rotation, I wouldn't mind a pen of:

Madson (if he doesn't cost too much)
    Marshall
    Broxton (Ditto Madson)
    Cingrani
    Arredondo
    Simon
    Lecure/Ondrusek

It takes longer for a pitcher to get back into the mindset of being a starter when they pitched a year or two from the bullpen. John Smoltz said the hardest thing was remembering to not max out his arm in the first inning and to pace himself. However, if you dont have a plus slider or cutter, your going to be a reliever anyways but its easier on a players arm to start then to come out of the bullpen.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    It takes longer for a pitcher to get back into the mindset of being a starter when they pitched a year or two from the bullpen. John Smoltz said the hardest thing was remembering to not max out his arm in the first inning and to pace himself. However, if you dont have a plus slider or cutter, your going to be a reliever anyways but its easier on a players arm to start then to come out of the bullpen.
    I really doubt you would know that much about a Braves pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Yeah, I was saying put TC in the bullpen for next year and let him compete for the 2014 rotation spot Bronson will vacate.
    Sure. In fact, it'd be an easy way, IMO, to save money needed at other spots:

Madson
    Marshall
    Broxton
    Cingrani
    Hoover
    LeCure
    Ondrusek

Losing Bray, Masset, Arredondo, and Simon (combined $7 million or so) might mean the Reds could afford Broxton. (This assumes Madson's willing to sign for around the same coin he did last season and Broxton's willing to subsume ego for a set-up role.

In fact, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives for specific players, come 2013:
    -- Henry Rodriguez for Miguel Cairo
    -- DiDi Gregorius for Wilson Valdez
    -- Xavier Paul for Todd Frazier
    -- Todd Frazier for Scott Rolen
    -- Dioner Navarro for Ryan Hanigan

That's another $8.5 million or so.

I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Frazier made less money than Xavier Paul next year on account of service time.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I really doubt you would know that much about a Braves pitcher.
    Its in his new book which its a bad read at all.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I dont know if the Reds would be willing to spend a ton of money to keep Broxton and Madson in next years pen. Madson will be a little cheaper coming off surgery but how much cheaper? Also Broxton has been pretty good this year and with a solid stretch run on a good ballclub could be a little too expensive for the Reds at least for next year. I can see them keeping one(they almost have too if they want Chappy starting) but not both. Also where does JJ Hoover fit in to their plans? Maybe they have ideas on him being in the back end come next year. id keep TC in the starting rotation until he proves he cannot do it anymore. You can never have enough starting depth.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can't imagine the Reds having a plan of Hoover at the back end next year if they won't even bring him up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't imagine the Reds having a plan of Hoover at the back end next year if they won't even bring him up this year.
    I see your point but IMO he shouldnt even have been sent back down period. Bray was horrid and JJ didnt really do anything to warrant a demotion.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I see your point but IMO he shouldnt even have been sent back down period. Bray was horrid and JJ didnt really do anything to warrant a demotion.
    I agree completely, but I just don't think the Reds do, for whatever reason.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, I've come to terms with Chapman being the closer and not a starter. Watching him turn 9 inning games into 8 frames for the other team is a thing of beauty.

I'm also for picking up Madson's option and re-signing Broxton.

And finally, I'm hoping Corcino or Cingrani make it to the starting pitching lineup in 2014 when Arroyo is gone, and Chapman remains the closer.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I agree completely, but I just don't think the Reds do, for whatever reason.
    Probably the 4 per 9 he walks or the 4.27 xFIP he showed.

I don't think he's bad at all per se, but he probably would be by far our worst reliever by almost a full run, and the guy really is a fly ball machine. Not good for his walk rate or home field.

Turn Off Ads?