Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Re-sign Rolen?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re-sign Rolen?

His performance since the AS Break and coming off the disabled list has been phenomenal. Batting over .300 with clutch hit after clutch hit. His rbi single and huge triple tonight won the game.

If he doesn't retire, and he'll come cheap, I'd bring him back as a part time player. He looks the best he's looked since 2010 to me.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Re-sign Rolen?

Hmmm I don't know. Yeah, he's been good since the all-star break. But, that's been how many games? How many more games have shown that the end is near? I like Rolen but I don't think we should get carried away with emotions when things are going really good.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Hmmm I don't know. Yeah, he's been good since the all-star break. But, that's been how many games? How many more games have shown that the end is near? I like Rolen but I don't think we should get carried away with emotions when things are going really good.
    Maybe not now, but if August/September/ and the Postseason are good for him, I think it becomes an honest question.

I'm simply talking a 1 year contract at like $2 to $3M, with the stipulation he's only gonna start maybe 80-100 games.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Maybe not now, but if August/September/ and the Postseason are good for him, I think it becomes an honest question.

I'm simply talking a 1 year contract at like $2 to $3M, with the stipulation he's only gonna start maybe 80-100 games.
    If he was willing to take only that much then yeah I'd have to consider it. But, most of the time he's been either injured or subpar and it's not like he has alot of versatility to play other positions besides 3rd.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

he won't come back as a bench player, he respects himself to much to do that. He is a HOF candidate. you have to know when to leave the stage. I think he does.

Coming back as a bench or hitting coach...I like it.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Well if they win it all, I could see him retiring, going out on top. That would be cool.

I'm just so happy to see his resurgence with the hope it continues and he finishes his career strong.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    he won't come back as a bench player, he respects himself to much to do that. He is a HOF candidate. you have to know when to leave the stage. I think he does.

Coming back as a bench or hitting coach...I like it.
    That feels right to me. With the way the Reds season is going Rolen has a chance to go out on top with his last game at least being in the playoffs. Can't beat that.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Nope.

Play it out, and move along.

It's been a great career. He's gonna be sore again before September is upon us. Age and injury does that to a body.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The choice to bring back Rolen can be made, or even considered, at the end of the season.

But it's likely a bad choice. A very, very bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yes, for that price you do it. No brainer.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?