Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about double switching

Question about double switching

I know this was often a topic of complaints on Sundeck but I don't know about here....can someone tell me if I am missing something on what happened tonight?

I can't figure out any reason why a double switch was helpful after the 6th inning. 2B Valdez had just hit. P Leake was up next. With Leake being replaced by Marshall, Dusty double switched and put Cairo in the 9 hole (Leake's spot) and Marshall in the 8 hole (Valdez's spot). Well...unless you are leaving Marshall in for more than one inning, there was no danger of him hitting in the 9 hole anyway. HE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING TO HIT AND WAS NOT GOING TO PITCH IN THE 8TH INNING. With that being the case, you could have just left Valdez in the 8 hole and pinch hit Cairo for Marshall in the bottom of the inning. Saving a field position player in a possible extra inning game.

Can anyone explain why a double switch was helpful there?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Question about double switching

I asked the same question in the game thread, it was very bizarre to me.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Raisor's most important rule regarding double switching. Don't let the wife know.

Is Raisor right? Or is Raisor right?

Hebroncougar thinks it might have been because another pitcher might have been needed had Marshall had trouble that inning. Or maybe Dusty knew Cairo had a heck of a defensive play coming his way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Servo says maybe Dusty thought Valdez wasn't feeling right with his stiff neck?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Servo says maybe Dusty thought Valdez wasn't feeling right with his stiff neck?
    This is the most logical answer
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's possible Marshall might go more than one inning. That's the only (usual) valid reason. Even if Marshall was replaced by Broxton with two outs, you could simply have done the swith then.

I'm guessing Baker wanted to get Valdez out.

Turn Off Ads?