Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Trout - wow

Re: Mike Trout - wow

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs Homer View Post
    True, but it would take a lot of ground to cover to even get close to him. I mean, in the NL at least you have McCutcheon and Votto separating themselves as the best batters in the NL. Trout is so far ahead of every batter at pretty much everything. The Angels have a very bright future.
    Agree, that's why I said 2/3 of the season MVP. Who knows an injury could leave him 50 games shy of a full season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    He's the easy choice for MVP at this point. I don't think there are many other players even close. Cano? Hamilton's been so cold. Trout is putting together a historic season. We may literally be seeing the best rookie year of all-time.
    ichiro !

pujols,gooden

but impressive rookie year still

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    ichiro !

pujols,gooden

Ichiro didn't have the power numbers that Trout has.

Pujols produced ridiculous numbers, and played the whole season. He didn't miss a couple months like Trout did, so I would probably give the edge to Pujols. It depends how much you weigh Trouts base running, and CF defense.

Gooden's rookie year was pretty crazy as well (judging by the stats, I wasn't actually alive yet to witness it). I'll take the everyday player in Trout, but it's more of a preference thing at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    ichiro !

pujols,gooden

Ichiro was 27 with no power numbers, Gooden was 17-9 I believe and Pujols had no speed or defense.

Trout is great and I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but you have to think he'll regress a little. Pitchers will start figuring out where his weaknesses as a batter are and if not start pitching around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Redleg82 View Post
    Trout is great and I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but you have to think he'll regress a little. Pitchers will start figuring out where his weaknesses as a batter are and if not start pitching around him.
    I agree with this, he has been great. But he'll regress, at least somewhat.

Well, not much of a limb guys? Lol

If he did this until age 33 and then declined and played until age 40 his career numbers would be:

3100 runs scored, 4400 hits, 640 HR, 2000 RBI, 725 2B, 180 3B, 1100 SB, 1545 XBH, 7700 TB, 16 GG, 20x All-Star and 13 MVPs.

When you are this good this young...how often doesn't it work out?

The guy is legit, and his rookie year has been remarkable, I don't think there is any debating that. However, keep in mind that he played 18 games against NL teams and only 68 games against the AL. That means he's seen most pitchers once or twice. It's not uncommon for a young player to light it up for an extended period as a rookie before pitchers learn the best way to get him out.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

I remember early on when everything was Bryce Harper this,Bryce Harper that.He can't hold a candle to Mike Trout.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

I wish the Reds had a Trout/Trumbo 1,2 punch.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    I remember early on when everything was Bryce Harper this,Bryce Harper that.He can't hold a candle to Mike Trout.
    You can't say it yet.....Harper was better than Trout at 19.......Trout may go on to continue this but anyone thinking Harper isn't going to be outstanding is silly. Trout is clearly more polished right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The guy is legit, and his rookie year has been remarkable, I don't think there is any debating that. However, keep in mind that he played 18 games against NL teams and only 68 games against the AL. That means he's seen most pitchers once or twice. It's not uncommon for a young player to light it up for an extended period as a rookie before pitchers learn the best way to get him out.
    True....and pitchers/teams will adjust, but who else has started this good over this many?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Harper's ceiling is still higher, IMO. If/when he puts it all together, he could be scary good.

Trout seems too good to be true right now. Just wondering if he'll be prime for the old "sophomore slump?" There's very little chance he can get significantly better than what he is now. That's setting an awfully high bar for yourself out of the gates.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?