Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the young starting pitchers starting to wear down?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Are the young starting pitchers starting to wear down?

A concern for me.

I've advocated letting Redmond and/or Hoover take a few starts and give a Cueto, Bailey and Leake a short break.

But discuss.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the young starting pitchers starting to wear down?

I'm not so much worried that they ARE, but moreso that they WILL.

As old school romantic as it would be for the staff to go the whole season, I don't know that its logical to the short or long term success of the team for only 5 starters to last that long considering the youth of a couple of the guys.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

They are not even at 150 innings yet. If they are going to wear down at that....how are they going to ever get ready for trying to pitch 200. Which I think you should expect your top 3 starters at least to do....eventually.

I'm concerned that Bailey is going to break down. He has not made it through a complete season without problems and I'm concerned he will have issues soon. I also think Bailey may be the biggest key to the post season. In the cold october air I want pitchers with decent fastballs in the rotation rather than junk ball pitchers.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I'm concerned that Bailey is going to break down. He has not made it through a complete season without problems and I'm concerned he will have issues soon. I also think Bailey may be the biggest key to the post season. In the cold october air I want pitchers with decent fastballs in the rotation rather than junk ball pitchers.
    He threw 202 innings in 2009, when you add AAA to MLB. 132 in 2010, and 162 last year, shut down both years due to shoulder fatigue/whatever.

I am more concerned with Leake, who is slighter and threw 167 last year. he should be shut down a bit before 200 innings, if you believe in the Verducci Effect.

Hoover would be a nice guy to have in September to give Leake and maybe Homer a breather.

Latos had 185, then 195 in the last two years, and Arroyo and Cueto (170+ innings from 2008-2010) should be fine, given their innings thrown in past.

I just don't think Bailey and Leake are as good as there numbers were, say, 2 weeks ago. They were due for a regression. Nothing to do with innings, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I just don't think Bailey and Leake are as good as there numbers were, say, 2 weeks ago. They were due for a regression. Nothing to do with innings, IMO.
    I agree. Both are time bombs, ready to explode at any time.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I agree. Both are time bombs, ready to explode at any time.
    Not sure they are timebombs, but they are inconsistent.
    They'll give us a mix of up and downs throughout the rest of the season.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I dont think they're wearing down. Once they get closer to 200 innings that could be the case but we're a ways from that still. Bailey has been better on the road all season. I have confidence he'll get it together for his next start. He seemslike a guy that has to watch his mechanics meticuously and he may be off track a little bit right now. Leake on the other hand has been up and down all year and I think the norm for him going forward is 6 innings and 3 or 4er which at this point ill take every time out from him. Cueto is still pitching great and Latos is getting better as the season goes forward. Also Bronson has been pretty goood too when we needed it most. I think as long as those 3 continue to pitch good that we can afford to have the inconsistent starts of Leake and Bailey. The good thing is that when one of those 2 are on they can be outright nasty. Its not like they are horrible every time out.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Either Welsh or Brantley made comments yesterday in the postgame about how pitchers can't wait to pitch early in the season and how 5 days can't go fast enough. By middle of the season, they're thinking has 5 days already passed and geez, I have to pitch again. But then they said, come late August they tend to get their second wind and their arms come back.

I know I didn't dream them saying it, and I hope it's true. Just can't remember which one said it.......I'm thinking Welsh.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

The inconsistency of Bailey and Leake is what concerns me more than the possibility of them wearing down. Homer Bailey is the equivalent to our pitching staff as what Drew Stubbs is to our position players. When he's on, he's dead on, but when things turn south, finding a way out of their funk seems to take forever,and I'm worried that Homer is headed towards a funk.

Mike Leake being a soft tosser is bound to catch up with him.

Just thinking outloud here.

I could see a roster shakeup coming for the Cubs double header a week from Saturday. They have publicly been hinting that Redmond would get that start. I would suggest that as long as he pitches a credible game. That they leave him up and skip Homer and then Leake for at least a rotation turn after that. Option Redmond after taking the third start, before September 1. Bring him back up when he is eligible after September 1.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Right now, its all about consecutive starts at GAB for both of them, who have dramatic home/road splits this season. Leake pitched OK Saturday, three of the four runs he gave up were flukey. That was encouraging. Homer did well to keep it at 4 runs as long as he did, just not missing bats yesterday.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Another issue for Homer was the weather. When it is damp and humid like it was during Sunday's game, he may not have gotten the best grip on his pitches.

Homer typically is better after the AS break than before.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

– Reds starter Homer Bailey (9-7) had one of those days. Bailey lasted 4 2/3 innings and allowed four runs (all earned), on nine hits. Bailey in his last two starts is 0-1 with a 10.80 ERA, after going 4-0 with a 1.43 ERA in his five previous starts.

“I don’t think it was anything physical,” Bailey said. “I don’t feel tired at all, I feel good. Just execution of pitches, that’s all it was.”
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Turn Off Ads?