Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton - 2013 free agent

Re: Josh Hamilton - 2013 free agent

Dare I say, but if his slide continues for the rest of the season, that is going to have a large impact. If he finishes strong, I am sure he'll get between $100-150M.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I wouldn't touch Hamilton with a 10 foot pole at this point. The mistake wasn't in trading Hamilton. Volquez just didn't work out. Not a bad risk by the Reds IMO, although it can certainly be argued they could've targeted a better package.

Hamilton is a huuuuuuuge risk, performance wise and off the field wise. A team would be CRAZY to give him 100 million over the life of a contract, but it's probably going to happen.
    Hamilton has a WAR of 20 since the start of 2008 when he departed from Cincinnati. By comparison, Joey Votto has had a WAR of 25.2 since then. Jay Bruce has a WAR of 8.9 since then.

It was a huge mistake trading him. The first three years of that deal were extremely affordable.

Reds jumped the gun AND Volquez didn't work out.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Hamilton has a WAR of 20 since the start of 2008 when he departed from Cincinnati. By comparison, Joey Votto has had a WAR of 25.2 since then. Jay Bruce has a WAR of 8.9 since then.

It was a huge mistake trading him. The first three years of that deal were extremely affordable.

I don't know if it's fair to say they jumped the gun. Rather, they figured that if they had a wildcard with a lot of upside to play with, they'd rather it be a pitcher than a hitter (to say nothing about the clubhouse dynamic issues).

Obviously it didn't work out. From an outcomes standpoint, it was clearly a mistake. But given the state of pitching in our organization, it's hard to fault the thought process that led to the decision to trade him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't see any way somebody hands Hamilton 7/150. I'll be surprised if he gets 5/100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

But they were going to have to trade him at some point. Like I said, my argument isn't "they should've have traded Hamilton." They should've. Now, maybe they should've waited longer. In hindsight, yeah, you can say that. But at the time, with an injury-plagued player with a history of drug problems not being that far in the past, why wait in trading him? Plus he was a clubhouse problem, which has been well-documented.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know if it's fair to say they jumped the gun. Rather, they figured that if they had a wildcard with a lot of upside to play with, they'd rather it be a pitcher than a hitter (to say nothing about the clubhouse dynamic issues).

Obviously it didn't work out. From an outcomes standpoint, it was clearly a mistake. But given the state of pitching in our organization, it's hard to fault the thought process that led to the decision to trade him.
    Great way of putting it. I don't know if I could have stated it any better.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I was fine with the trade at the time for the reasons you stated.

I wouldn't mind having him back though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Josh Hamilton still has an addictive personality.

ARLINGTON, Texas — Rangers outfielder and former Cincinnati Red Josh Hamilton was back in the lineup Monday night for the opener of a four-game series against Oakland after being diagnosed with a cornea problem caused by caffeine that he described as a sugar high "times 10."

Hamilton, who had missed five straight games, saw an optometrist Monday and was diagnosed with ocular keratitis, a drying of the cornea caused by too much caffeine and energy drinks.

"Drinking caffeine, coffee in the morning, coffee midday, Energy drink before the game, chocolate after the game. All these things were compounding and making it worse and worse," he said.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Looks like he picked the wrong week to start drinking caffiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Looks like he picked the wrong week to start drinking caffiene.

That might be the winner of the funniest comeback post of the year.

I think Hamilton could get a very nice long term contract, if he agreed to a clause that allowed the team to terminate the contract in the event he relapses and begins using street drugs or alcohol again.

I know the Players Union doesn't like clauses that cancel contract in the event of an injury. However, this type of clause would only kick in if Hamilton himself decided to use intoxicants again. Given the regular testing regiman that MLB already has him on, the contract could simply state that the team's obligation to pay him is contingent upon him remaining elegible to play MLB (although that wouldn't cover alcohol use).

These type of contractual clauses may be percieved to reduce the risk level of signing Josh to a longer term deal.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I think Hamilton could get a very nice long term contract, if he agreed to a clause that allowed the team to terminate the contract in the event he relapses and begins using street drugs or alcohol again.

I know the Players Union doesn't like clauses that cancel contract in the event of an injury. However, this type of clause would only kick in if Hamilton himself decided to use intoxicants again. Given the regular testing regiman that MLB already has him on, the contract could simply state that the team's obligation to pay him is contingent upon him remaining elegible to play MLB (although that wouldn't cover alcohol use).

These type of contractual clauses may be percieved to reduce the risk level of signing Josh to a longer term deal.
    There will be no clause, the PU won't open a door for a single player to gain extra years at the expense of the future and all the players who would be affected by a precedent being set.

Hamilton will make money, but like any other player that will be limited by his health and age as well as his skills

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Hamilton will go for too much money and too many years.

Only a large market team can accept the kind of risk Hamilton possesses.

There has always been a theory that his body will break down sooner than most due to excessive drug usuage.

He's a collasal risk period.

If I had the dough a 2-year $40-50M contract might be OK.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Hamilton will go for too much money and too many years.

Only a large market team can accept the kind of risk Hamilton possesses.

There has always been a theory that his body will break down sooner than most due to excessive drug usuage.

He's a collasal risk period.

If I had the dough a 2-year $40-50M contract might be OK.
    It's already happening. Guy is missing whole series with sinus infections.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

The situation you describe essentially exists already. The contract is not terminated, but the player doesn't get paid.

If Hamilton (or any other player) fails a drug test and gets suspended he would not get paid while he is suspended. This mitigates a lot of the risk for the team. If he is not eligible to play the team does not have to pay him. This applies to drugs of abuse as well as PEDs. Once his suspension is completed he would return to the team and be allowed to play and get paid.

Melky Cabrera is not getting paid during his suspension.

Turn Off Ads?