Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where in the world is Lyle Overbay?

Where in the world is Lyle Overbay?

Not a huge deal, just curious. Last I heard he was designated for assignment and the reds were trying to acquire him. I really like him off the bench as a LH, and prob only start him against righties. Anyone heard anything? I've searched MLB trade rumors and got nothing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where in the world is Lyle Overbay?

Likely waiting for him to be released after the 10 days they have to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFMang View Post
    Likely waiting for him to be released after the 10 days they have to trade him.
    Ahhh, for some reason I thought it was only 3 days. Thank you. Wanted to say he was with Carmen San Diego but I held it back.

Just saw on MLB trade rumors that he was released. So I guess we will see if he lands anywhere now.

Walt says we aren't even interested in him apparently

Quote Originally Posted by WTFMang View Post
    Walt says we aren't even interested in him apparently
    We are heading into the 2nd week of August, and Walt has done nothing to address the offense. I don't know what he's waiting for. Plenty of other teams have addressed their weaknesses, why not us. He said before the trade deadline he wanted to improve the offense. After yesterday against Burnett, it
    should have emphasized our offensive weakness, especially against right handers.

Another point; Walt says he doesn't want to trade away our top minor leaguers. My point is that we are in 1st place now and 'should' get into the playoffs. Why not get player(s) that can get us to the World Series now. You don't know what next year or the year after will bring. We could have major injuries or under perform badly and not even come close to the playoffs. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Another point; Walt says he doesn't want to trade away our top minor leaguers. My point is that we are in 1st place now and 'should' get into the playoffs. Why not get player(s) that can get us to the World Series now. You don't know what next year or the year after will bring. We could have major injuries or under perform badly and not even come close to the playoffs. Just my thoughts. What do you think?
    Lyle Overbay gets us to the World Series?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Agree with huhu. Punch and judy bat and limited to backing up Votto. Not worth the spot.

lots of teams interested in overbay i believe

i dont know why we arent interested. he'd looks like a great pinch hit bat. obv he will never start but its better than cairo

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    I didn't mean Overbay in particular, just player or players to put us over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    every piece counts. theres a good chance we need a left handed pinch hit bat in the playoffs to get us a big hit and all we have is xavier paul. nothing against xavier paul but I'd prefer overbay to drive in runs off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    We are heading into the 2nd week of August, and Walt has done nothing to address the offense. I don't know what he's waiting for. Plenty of other teams have addressed their weaknesses, why not us. He said before the trade deadline he wanted to improve the offense. After yesterday against Burnett, it
    should have emphasized our offensive weakness, especially against right handers.
    Where specifically on offense do you want an upgrade? The Reds are elite offensively at 1b & 2b. LF has been elite since mid-May. As frustrating as Bruce is, he is well above average. Stubbs in CF is playing great right now. I don't know how long it will last, but he's put up great production. And 3B with Frazier and Rolen is now looking like a strength. Cozart is really the only piece that could be upgraded, but he's young and needs the experience, and there weren't any quality shortstops to trade for anyway. Outside of the last 3 games, the offense has not been an issue, even with Votto down.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    As frustrating as Bruce is, he is well above average..
    Bruce's OWAR is 20th among MLB right fielders.

His OPS is 10th, behind guys like Alex Rios, Josh Reddick and Nick Markakis.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?