Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Goodness gracious (Astros)

Re: Goodness gracious (Astros)

As the Braves noted ...

"You can’t spell DISASTROUS without ASTRO!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I tell you what, the first time I watched that play, it was a bit humorous, but just kinda made me remember that disaster of a play that the Reds made that allowed J.D. Martinez to get a t-ball inside the park home run.

But then I don't think anything can top the slapstick comedy of the pitcher/1b collision, followed by Matt Downs flying through the air. That is what clinched it, couldn't stop laughing there for a minute, had to watch it a few more times.

Might rank up there with the Gus Frerotte left handed interception in the Bungles worst archives.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Last week I went to a class A game and left marvelling at the infielders' inability to pick up a baseball. I particularly thought that Pirates prospect Alen Hanson would never stick at short.

I've changed my mind. He could play in Houston's infield right now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

That uncoordinated, melodramatic dive of the third basemen makes that play for me. At least they're contributing humor at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Don't keep us all in suspense. What happened?

We're really going to miss those Astros next year...
    Basically there was a runner at first and a sac bunt in the top of the 11th. The Nats put down a sac bunt where the Astros' pitcher and first baseman collided trying to field it. Then the pitcher threw the ball down the right field line, scoring the runner from first. And then the throw to home plate from the right fielder was about 10 feet too high, which sent the runner all the way to third.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not sure that the third baseman's glove didn't hit the throw to 1st, which is what caused it to be so off line.
    His goal seemed to be to disrupt the play as much as possible. Like SBNation article said, "Grenade!"
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I have seen the Reds of yesteryear throw the ball all over the park like that before. The season gets long and the Astro's have been out of it since January.

On a side note MLB should be embarassed by the product the Astro's are sending out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have seen the Reds of yesteryear throw the ball all over the park like that before. The season gets long and the Astro's have been out of it since January.

On a side note MLB should be embarassed by the product the Astro's are sending out there right now.

Too late... personally I love it when teams like this appear, it really belies how hard the game and the business really is and how lucky it can be as well. In short it makes the game human and I'm all for that.

Wasn't it against the Astros when a Red (Eric Davis, IIRC) bunted a ball and the pitcher threw it past first base down the right field line. The result was almost like a bunted inside-the-park-homer, but I think it was ruled a 3 base error. I think it happened in the Astrodome and maybe Joe Niekro was the pitcher, but perhaps I'm imagining part or all of this.

Anybody else remember that?

I saw Anderson Machado score on his own bunt in a game against the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I saw Anderson Machado score on his own bunt in a game against the Braves.
    Those were the days of wine and dozes

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I love the replay shot showing how the 3rd baseman almost gets hit by the throw to 1st. WOW!
    Would have saved a run! That was one of the worst defensive sequences I've ever seen. If the throw from 1st to home would have been in the same time zone as the catcher, Bernadino would have been out and we would not have had a good laugh today.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I'm sure Bud has top men investigating what is going on in Houston.

Top men.

Maybe even Jeff Loria himself.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

On a related topic, there was NO ONE in the stands.

How many wrong/bad/erroneous things happened on that play - for both teams --i put the over under at 10.

Turn Off Ads?