Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Goodness gracious (Astros)

Re: Goodness gracious (Astros)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I'm sure Bud has top men investigating what is going on in Houston.

Top men.

Maybe even Jeff Loria himself.
    I would imagine this is a black eye to Bud and his cronies. If you want a model of how to screw up a MLB franchise the Astros are that. The problem I have isn't the fire sale and it really isn't the awful baseball, its there is nothing on the Astro's MLB roster that really belongs there. When you look at the current version of the Astros were is the hope? When they traded guys like Borne and got two of the Astro's mid prospects they became to top 2 in the Astro's organization. When the Reds were playing in their lost decade they at least had some players to watch.

There was a time when the Tigers were awful, had 3 (?) pitchers who could have lost 20 games each, but they were all young guys who were taking their lumps, there was hope. The Astro's hope lies in the likes of a 5'7" second baseman and a Jordan Schafer.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Too late... personally I love it when teams like this appear, it really belies how hard the game and the business really is and how lucky it can be as well. In short it makes the game human and I'm all for that.
    It was all good until Throneberry plowed into Craig whilst he was making a play on the ball.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Houston loses SPECTACULARLY.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_23716253&v=3

Two on, two out, down 1, Aoki rips a sure double to the wall that Bernadinha takes away with an absurd catch.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Good lord. As of today, the Astros have won 39 games. August 15; 39 games. That's less than a month and a half worth of games.

Only two other teams in baseball are even still in the 40s in the W column (Cubs and Rockies). The Astros have already lost 80 games. Is it a given that they get to 100 losses? Are we taking bets on the date they hit it?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The real sad thing is that I actually find them more interesting to watch now than I did the last 5 years or so.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Check out the Astros record month by month:
    April 9 14
    May 13 15
    June 10 17
    July 3 24
    August 4 10

They've won seven games since the end of June
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Yeah, that's getting to be malpractice by their GM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Yeah, that's getting to be malpractice by their GM.
    I disagree. I think they've done everything this season just about flawlessly. They've blown it up in spectacular fashion and in doing so they've replenished their farm system virtually overnight. They'll be bad (historically so) for a few years, but it'll pay dividends at the end IMO.

I fully expect Bud Norris to be dealt this offseason too (more trading partners). The only guys I think they'll keep are Altuve & that kid from the Red Sox (SS)...(just went blank on his name though)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I disagree. I think they've done everything this season just about flawlessly. They've blown it up in spectacular fashion and in doing so they've replenished their farm system virtually overnight. They'll be bad (historically so) for a few years, but it'll pay dividends at the end IMO.

I fully expect Bud Norris to be dealt this offseason too (more trading partners). The only guys I think they'll keep are Altuve & that kid from the Red Sox (SS)...(just went blank on his name though)
    I see more of a Pirates/Royals style "rebuild" in progress--get a bunch of marginal prospects to improve a disastrous farm system and call it "restocking." Too bad they're moving so we can continue beating up on their "rebuilding project."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I see more of a Pirates/Royals style "rebuild" in progress--get a bunch of marginal prospects to improve a disastrous farm system and call it "restocking." Too bad they're moving so we can continue beating up on their "rebuilding project."
    You've got to keep things in perspective. Those "marginal" prospects are all pretty much top 10 prospects in the Astros' system. Add to that the excellent draft they had and the surety that they'll be picking first for a few years I'd think...I'd say they did VERY well. The guys they traded away weren't exactly household names or highly regarded. Wandy was trending down for several years now. Carlos Lee? Yikes. Pence & Bourn they got solid returns for. Most of the others were just bench guys, bullpen guys or lower rotational guys. They didn't have much in terms of assets that they could deal for GOOD returns IMO.

As for the too bad they're moving comment...I can't agree more. Not only don't we get to pummel them senseless...but now I'll never get to see my beloved Redlegs in person. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You've got to keep things in perspective. Those "marginal" prospects are all pretty much top 10 prospects in the Astros' system. Add to that the excellent draft they had and the surety that they'll be picking first for a few years I'd think...I'd say they did VERY well. The guys they traded away weren't exactly household names or highly regarded. Wandy was trending down for several years now. Carlos Lee? Yikes. Pence & Bourn they got solid returns for. Most of the others were just bench guys, bullpen guys or lower rotational guys. They didn't have much in terms of assets that they could deal for GOOD returns IMO.
    See, that's the thing where we diverge. Going from poor top 10 prospects to below average top 10 prospects is just spinning wheels. In that market, doing a bottom up restoration project will get you, well, Kansas City. He's got a great market and if all he is doing is trying to incrementally improve the farm system, then he will likely fail. The Pirates and Royals have proven that you can be perpetually rebuilding with this method.

He did a fire sale, I'm not going to applaud him for that, whatever the excuse may be.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Another fine example.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Another fine example.

You gotta love how the pitcher still got the throw off.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Another fine example.

"What we have here is failure to communicate."

And, Oneupper, I agree it was impressive that the pitcher still got the throw off.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think their new manager should have one rule: Stop running into each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?