Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cigar Smokers

I'm toolsy.

Cigar Smokers

I just picked up this habit / hobby and I was wondering if there were others around here. If so, just a few questions:

- Is there a "bundle" or starter pack that you would recommend from an online vendor?

- I have a buddy who has a freezer bag full of pricey cigars from a local shop that went out of business over 5 years ago. They have been in his freezer that long. are they still good?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cigar Smokers

Try Thompson's for a good bundle starter pack. I personally haven't ordered from them but I know people who have and they are happy with them.

They probably aren't since they have been in the freezer. Tobacco needs to be stored in the environment where it grows in. It needs to be warm and humid (around 70% humidity.) I have problems remembering to moisten the sponge in my humidor and as a result my cigars tend to flake when I smoke them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yeah Thompson's is good to start with and I don't think cigars are good after being in freezer.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm not a prolific cigar smoker, but I know Ashton Churchill is a good starter. Pretty mild.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Your best bet is to buy them as you need them IMO. There are probably a number of local cigar shops near you if you look for them. I live in a small town and have 3 places I can buy most cigars I am interested in.

If you have a cigar that is dried out, put it with an apple slice in a sealed container
    overnight. It will pull in much of the humidity from the apple slice as well as a bit of apple flavor.

Be careful, if you leave it in there for a few days it will mold for sure.

GL

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    For the money, Arturo Fuentes Curlyheads can't be beat
    Witty signature.

Not sure how I missed this thread. I’m a once a week smoker. I’m a Rocky Patel guy. The 1990 is my go to and the one I’ll buy in bulk. The 1992 is good as well. I’ve rarely been disappointed with any RP I’ve tried.

If I feel like spending a bit more, I go for the Ashton VSG.

Some other more affordable ones in the rotation: Olivia Series V, Brickhouse, La Gloria Cubana.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    I just picked up this habit / hobby and I was wondering if there were others around here. If so, just a few questions:

- Is there a "bundle" or starter pack that you would recommend from an online vendor?

- I have a buddy who has a freezer bag full of pricey cigars from a local shop that went out of business over 5 years ago. They have been in his freezer that long. are they still good?
    I used to have the habit, I've kicked it - cost a lot of money.

Buy a humidor, it'll pay for itself in the long run (make sure you season it before using it). You can buy a halfway decent one for less than 50$. I recommend cedar wood, and stagger the stogies in the humidor so that some air flows in the box. RH Humidity in the high 60's should be good for most cigars, set it at that and you can store multiple cigars in the same box. Freezer is a no-no, I'm sure they are smokeable but I doubt their flavor is still there, if the leaf wrapper cracks they are probably garbage.

If you're near the Cincinnati area, Jungle Jim's is a good place to sample cigars. Cigarsdaily .com also sells samplers.

When I quit, I was real big on Double Corona, amaretto flavored, cigars.

If you go to Canada, get a few Cubans.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, just noticed how old the comment is I replied too.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Cohibas. The tobacco is grown in the DR from seeds of Cuban tobacco.

I'm also a fan of Rocky Patel 1992s.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Jungle Jim’s is where I get when I’m back home.....but it helps I grew up 5 minutes from there. There also a place at 275 and 42, but I can’t remember the name of it.

Here’s my latest toy for this hobby. It’s fun.

http://alecbradley.com/wp-content/uploads/1.jpg
    Last edited by MWM; 09-04-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?