Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It may have been a mistake to stand pat at the deadline.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It may have been a mistake to stand pat at the deadline.

I know how good we looked during the winning streaks. But we were obviously getting better numbers from our hitters from playing bad teams with bad pitchers, and a lot of left handers against a lineup that eats them up.

That's not going to happen in the playoffs, and I fear a 2010 repeat if it turns out our bats can be neutralized more easily than we thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It may have been a mistake to stand pat at the deadline.

Stubbs saved his job with a hot 10 days.. sadly the Reds FO might have been clouded by the way they were playing.. they need to look on the waiver wire and try and upgrade if they can, if they cant and the Pirates claim everybody to block us, When Joey is activated.. Got to be
    Phillips 2B
    Cozart or Stubbs
    Votto 1B
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Rolen/Frazier 3B
    Stubbs/Cozart
    Hanigan/Mez C

Have to make a change to better this team down the stretch with the lineup.. the winning streak is the past.. if they can get Pierre on waivers, they should try. standing pat with this offense was a mistake.. in my opinion

It was a mistake then, and still is. Everyone who follows baseball knew that Drew Stubbs wouldn't continue that pace, etc. The schedule was soft, they were playing good baseball, but the schedule was soft. I'm not saying gloom and doom, they won't win the division now, but I don't think this Brewers series is why they should've made a move, everyone should've known this was coming offensively.

They were beating up on bad teams. Walt was fooled into staying pat when it was obvious this team needed some help on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    It was a mistake then, and still is.
    +1 Billion

We need to put that chemistry talk to bed, winning = chemistry. We need to improve the back of our roster and now that we can't add quality guys but we still need to pick up fringe players like Yuniesky Betancourt who have flaws but are still better than what we have in Valdez and Cairo.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Nobody should have needed this little 4-game bump in the road to realize Walt made a mistake. For the greater part of the season, this lineup has failed to consistently produce runs. The team has been saved by the best pitching any of us has seen in 40 years.

I just hope his gaffe doesn't wind up costing the Reds a spot in the playoffs. I think we can still get in, but I have zero confidence at all that this team can manufacture runs against playoff pitching.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Sorry, but this team was going to cool off and not catch the breaks all the time. Something people need to accept. My guess when things start dropping their way again, the "team chemistry" arguement will be back. The fact JV will be back will probably enhance it.

Ever since the team started playing against pitching that's had a pulse they have done nothing. They got fortunate during their winning streak that they played some awful teams. Even in the 2 wins against the Pirates the offense didn't do much of anything, coincidence or not that Stubbs plays well when his job is on the line and when it's not he goes back to being his old self?

Yes they should have done something. But my biggest gripe is with Bruce the Reds playing short handed without Votto and Phillips for a few days have needed Jay Bruce to step it up. He gets a big FAIL grade for what he's been doing for the club. I've been waiting since May of 2011 for him to get hot again.

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    Yes they should have done something. But my biggest gripe is with Bruce the Reds playing short handed without Votto and Phillips for a few days have needed Jay Bruce to step it up. He gets a big FAIL grade for what he's been doing for the club. I've been waiting since May of 2011 for him to get hot again.
    But if you're Walt, why in the world would you hang your hopes on guys like Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs. We all KNOW what they are. They've proven it repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    But if you're Walt, why in the world would you hang your hopes on guys like Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs. We all KNOW what they are. They've proven it repeatedly.
    I don't know, maybe TEAM CHEMISTRY. If this team ends up not winning the division that'll be a classic right up with Dusty's clogging up the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    I don't know, maybe TEAM CHEMISTRY. If this team ends up not winning the division that'll be a classic right up with Dusty's clogging up the bases.
    Chemistry has never won anything... except science fairs.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The losing streak is getting unbearable.

ive never understood why people bought into stubbs hot streak. i also never bought into the chemistry part. yea it helps but lets be real winning helps.

I'm in agreement here - something should have been done, we needed to get a bat for sure. The win streak came at the wrong time, like everyone said, covering up the holes.

Is Jay Bruce becoming a poor man's Adam Dunn? before long his average will be down around where the Dunner is this year (around .210) but Dunn has 31 hr and 75 rbi!

Turn Off Ads?