Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latos out after 7?

Re: Latos out after 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I'm not arguing or bashing Dusty....just want other's thoughts.

To me this team really started kicking at the point when Dusty started staying with guys like Homer and Latos when he normally would've taken them out. He's trusted Cueto all year and Homer, Latos and both others more often than expected (except for Leake....he's pulled him every time but once when we figured)....today Latos thru 7 inn gave up only 3 hits and struck out 8...with 97 pitches. There is simply no was to know but Latos in the 8th and Chappy in the 9th was very possible.

Do you think the wear of innings on the starters played a role with the decision?

***Latos may have told Dusty he was gassed. (guessing not but you don't know)

I hope the wear of innings had a play in the decision....even though I don't agree.

Obviously if Broxton has better fortune this thread never happens....but I'm always a fan of the starter staying in when possible.

I got no problem with the move, Broxton gets the job done 95% of the time, you have to keep your starters strong for the post season

2. Turn Off Ads?

broxton didnt really even get hit all that hard the brewers really just got lucky

My take was that even though the hits were a bit 'luck', we dont have to go with a by the book approach and pre determine the 8-9th inn.

Latos had 97 pitches, was dominating the whole game & had the bottom of the order coming up in the 8th. 97 low stress pitches at that. The Brewers were never threatening really or making him pitch with runners on.

Therefore, if there is a time to leave your starter in, why not there? most likely he was going to pick up another k or 2 in the 8th and shut them down.

I could see the move for sure if Latos was struggling a bit, walked a few and was pitching out of trouble throughout the game but that was never the case.

I dont think leaving him in for a 105-110 pitch outing was really going to take away from what he has left in the tank come playoff time ...

*hindsight*

Quote Originally Posted by mivers176 View Post
    My take was that even though the hits were a bit 'luck', we dont have to go with a by the book approach and pre determine the 8-9th inn.

Latos had 97 pitches, was dominating the whole game & had the bottom of the order coming up in the 8th. 97 low stress pitches at that. The Brewers were never threatening really or making him pitch with runners on.

Therefore, if there is a time to leave your starter in, why not there? most likely he was going to pick up another k or 2 in the 8th and shut them down.

I could see the move for sure if Latos was struggling a bit, walked a few and was pitching out of trouble throughout the game but that was never the case.

I dont think leaving him in for a 105-110 pitch outing was really going to take away from what he has left in the tank come playoff time ...

*hindsight*
    Latos has only pitched into the 8th inning 4 times in his 23 starts. He has been pulled after 7 even when he had not given up a run. I think the are being extra careful with him for some reason. If Arroyo had been pitching and thus situation arose, I think they would have kept him in.

If the bullpen was in shambles I may agree to keep Latos in the ball game. However, with the best bullpen in the bigs and a 24 year old who may pitch more innings this year in the regular season then ever before, you pull him. We need his arm for at least four post-season starts, right?!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Even in hindsight I don't mind the move. He gave up a swinging bunt, a soft liner off of the hands, and a blooper off of the end of the bat. Nothing they hit was squared up or even close to it.

When that happens you just gotta deal with it. He didn't make bad pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Latos has only pitched into the 8th inning 4 times in his 23 starts. He has been pulled after 7 even when he had not given up a run. I think the are being extra careful with him for some reason. If Arroyo had been pitching and thus situation arose, I think they would have kept him in.
    Well....it was his 5th most efficient game he has pitched all year. 13 times he has thrown more pitches and 8 times this season 108+ pitches. Several times earlier in the year he would be permitted to labor for 6 inn and 110 pitches.

Again, I really don't have a problem with going to Broxton...but I feel the Reds got going when the starters pitched until they were tired.....and Latos was ready for the 8th. I like Latos wanting to go back out to battle but I don't mind Dusty going to Broxton....as long as it's to keep Latos fresh for the playoffs.

Yeah either way- I guess Dusty couldnt go wrong w/ either move really - like others have said, doesnt really matter when you cant muster more than 2 runs. Just too many LOB just like we have seen quite a bit other than the recent run of W's.

I'm worried about this team's streakiness- if our bats arent extremely hot going into playoff time we may be in trouble.

Turn Off Ads?