Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore to call up 20yearold Machado, Why not the Reds call up Hamilton??

Baltimore to call up 20yearold Machado, Why not the Reds call up Hamilton??

Just saw Machado is being called up. He is only 20, so why not the Reds call up Hamilton to spark this team at the top of the order? I wish Walt would have moved him to CF to send a message earlier in the year to Stubbs..I still feel thats his future spot. Cozart has played very good Defense at SS and I dont see him moved from there.

Baltimore is calling him up to help their pennant run. Like to see Hamilton here to help this team..

Hamilton has had a way better minor league career than Machado!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Baltimore to call up 20yearold Machado, Why not the Reds call up Hamilton??

Personally, I don't feel like Billy Hamilton can offer this club anything besides pinch-running ability at this point, and that's not a big enough reason to take him away from everyday ABs in the minors.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Personally, I don't feel like Billy Hamilton can offer this club anything besides pinch-running ability at this point, and that's not a big enough reason to take him away from everyday ABs in the minors.
    agreed

but if they did call billy up his minor league season would already be over so he wouldnt be missing at bats

Hamilton won't get called up because Machado and Hamilton are 2 completely different players

Example:

Machado is a legit SS and has gotten A-Rod comps whereas Hamilton may not stick at SS and some have questioned to hit at higher levels

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Hamilton won't get called up because Machado and Hamilton are 2 completely different players

Example:

Machado is a legit SS and has gotten A-Rod comps whereas Hamilton may not stick at SS and some have questioned to hit at higher levels
    ...and yet Billy Hamilton has outperformed Machado to date at most levels.

Not to say that B-Ham is a better prospect, or that he should be called up, but making a lop-sided comparison like that isn't really fair to what Billy has shown in his short time as a pro.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Machado is a legit SS and has gotten A-Rod comps whereas Hamilton may not stick at SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Not to say that B-Ham is a better prospect, or that he should be called up, but making a lop-sided comparison like that isn't really fair to what Billy has shown in his short time as a pro.
    I'm a little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B here. I think Billy is, all things considered, as fine an offensive prospect as there really is with the obvious exceptions of the uber guys.

But I think there might be something to be said about the positional considerations as well. I think a lot of Reds fans at this point assume that he might be ultimately converted to the outfield, but it's tough to waste a roster spot on someone who hasn't adjusted to their final defensive position at an MLB level.

At the very least until rosters expand to allow for a strictly pinch runner, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up forcing it even then, but would be surprised to see it happen before then.

As much as I like Billy Hamilton he's not ready to help make any difference to this Reds club. Maybe if we were 15 back in Sep. They also need to figure out where he's going to play. He'd be a nice novelty act at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    why not the Reds call up Hamilton to spark this team at the top of the order?
    Because 'Billy Mays Hayes' is not ready to hit at the major league level yet. He is a playoff pinch runner at this point if anything. I'd love to see him in the big show, but I'm not sure how much of a 'spark' you will get from him if you call him up to lead off the batting order.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

I think the Reds need to DL Cairo come August 30th or 31st. That way we can call up B-Ham and have him available for the postseason.

His offense should be seen as invaluable, especially in a tight game. Imagine come bottom of the 8th or 9th and Rolen gets walked. Why not pinch run Hamilton who could easily get in scoring position and can round the bases pretty quickly (his inside the park HR was clocked at 13.6 seconds).

He could also spot start for Stubbs/Ludwick in the OF and Cozart/Phillips in the IF in September if we can clinch a postseason spot and give those guys some rest. Also, I know it is the minors, but he is batting right around .300 and is a switch hitter, which Dusty loves to play "handed" matchups.

But in regards to bring him up now, I do not think it is the time. I know a lot of prospects want to make it to the majors, but I think it can already be assumed that he will be up here at least by next year, if not September. Calling him up now could hurt his chances at getting the SB record which I have read that he really wants to break. Let him break it, then call him up.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Lot of chatter going around that the Orioles are calling Machado to make fans forget how they did nothing at the trade deadline to help themselves. Its a PR move.

I dont see him being more useful then D.J.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

So far the Reds have lost 17 one run games

Being able to steal a base a will late in games will win you 5-8 games

Seems worth it to me

I think maybe they should consider it once the minor league season is over, but from what I hear he's got a long way to go as a hitter. It doesn't do the Reds any good long term to take regular AB's away from him so he can pinch run twice a week in the bigs.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I dont think Hamilton is ready to hit big league pitching yet

No reason to do this now. He's not going to be better than Cozart for the rest of the year. He could help as a pinch runner, but I'd much rather have him continue to get regular at bats. From what I've heard, he's making huge improvements, but still has a ways to go as a hitter.

Turn Off Ads?