Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Article

Pirates Article

I do not know if this has been discussed yet, so I thought I would just post it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-a-new-level

What does everyone think?
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates Article

IMO, I think Thom is not the best announced, but he is heavily attacked here for stupid, biased reasons.

First, I think most Reds fans would say Chapman did not purposely hit McCutchen. I honestly, think is was just a combo of hit playing close to the plate and Chap losing control of the pitch. But I agree you cannot call it a fact either way. Either way, Cutch's reaction was not professional, especially when ESPN showed him in the dugout after the game.

Second, I believe Thom said "Give me a break" based on Harrison's reaction to getting plunked. I mean the guy practically threw his bat in the stands and threw his gear into the dugout from homeplate.

Third, I think Harrison's reaction and the previous night's events are what convinced the umps to issue the warnings. Hurdle holding up the game and arguing with the ump to the point he was red in the face should get him ejected. You can't hold Thom against that by saying the guy did his job. He did do his job. What else could he do? Take it from Hurdle and say, okay no warning for you guys?

Fourth, what should Thom say in that situation? No I disagree with you Chris? Not to mention, he probably does think Harrison is a good kid, but he just disagreed with his reaction in the previous at bat.

Fifth, Hughes shove to Navarro should be considered classless no matter what the situation. The author tried to excuse this as the guy gave up the go ahead run, but the definition of class is to be able to keep compsure especially in those situations. If I make a mistake at work, I cannot just go and shove my boss.
    2014 Attendance 0-3

I think the first line in the responses fits best "I am dumber for having read that".
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Most of the people that write for Bleacher Report are just regular dudes with some spare time. It's not like it's a beacon of sports journalism.
    Choo got it, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Most of the people that write for Bleacher Report are just regular dudes with some spare time. It's not like it's a beacon of sports journalism.
    Yeah I know, but I think the author had no real solid points to support his claim. A lot of it was bias and I just wanted to see what other people thought about it.
    2014 Attendance 0-3

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Thats about to change with Turner Broadcasting purchasing it. They are planning on running it like Yahoo Sports.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

That was a pathetic article. The author defends the Pirate's shoving Navarro because they were frustrated.....

The author even complains about Thom complimenting a Pirates player!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    That was a pathetic article. The author defends the Pirate's shoving Navarro because they were frustrated.....

The author even complains about Thom complimenting a Pirates player!!!!
    Ok good. At least someone agrees with me that this article has a fallacy for the author's argument.
    2014 Attendance 0-3

Fox Sports Ohio is an Ohio Sports channel. I have no problem with a guy who cheers for the Reds/Bengals/Indians/Browns/Cavs/etc.

Maybe the real problem is people outside Ohio don't have broadcasters that are fans.

Non-story.

Go Reds!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

It's part of Thom's job to be a homer, just like all the other MLB play-by-play guys.

That article is utterly stupid. And the author doesn't know grammar at all. Anywho...

1. If you listen to a Reds network, you get a broadcast centered towards Reds' nation. This isn't ESPN or some other syndicate announcing the game, these are Reds employees broadcasting on an Ohio network.

2. If I'm not mistaken, MLB network offers the Pirate's broadcast. Listen to that instead, and I'd like to hear their broadcasters' reactions to the same situations.

3. When Thom was 11 his dad starting calling Reds games. When you grow up with with Marty as your dad and Joe Nuxhall as essentialy your uncle, you get raised with an "all Reds all the time" mentality. What a surprise he's doing the same thing years later. He's a fan who is calling the games...we'd all kill to do that just once. Yes, he is going to be passionate about the Reds and he is allowed to be. (see #1.)

4. Shocker alert, the author of that article is a Pirates fan. Here is his bio page.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/469512-doug-tyburski

It's bleeding with "I love everything Pennsylvania (gag)" and he's calling out a broadcaster (with a much better job) about being biased. He's a butthole.

5. A message to the author: 1st place b!tch!!! (only because #4 is true)
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

I can't stand Thom as an announcer probably more than about anyone. A lot of times I just end up muting the game when he ends up on a rant about not hitting with RISP or the whipping boy Jay Bruce. All that said, that article was still really dumb and I agree with the top commenter. I'm now dumber for having read it.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

I watched part of Friday nights game on Root Sports Pittsburgh because our Reds Fox games are not offered in HD. If you want to hear some real homer broadcasting ,give the Buccos announcer a listen. When Heisey hit the ISP homer they wined for an hour that he was out on what was a very close play, but never once mentioned the reason that he scored on a fly ball off the wall in left field, that their MVP center fielder failed to back up on the play. At least our guys will point out when Reds players don't do their jobs, with Thom and Marty, sometimes too much.

Bleacher report is a pathetic site and all the authors are so bias and ignorant

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

BR is garbage designed to get maximum search-engine hits for their advertisers. Never click on anything with their name on it.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?