Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorabilia

Memorabilia

My dad just went through a garage and came across some interesting things. A complete set of World Champions Mugs and Pennants.

Two questions:

1) Can you clean old pennants with anything at all? They have some dust on them from being in a garage.

2) Is there much value on a complete set of the world series mugs?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Memorabilia

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    My dad just went through a garage and came across some interesting things. A complete set of World Champions Mugs and Pennants.

Two questions:

1) Can you clean old pennants with anything at all? They have some dust on them from being in a garage.

Try a lint roller with the pennant.

With the mugs, let them ride on Ebay. Someone will want them for their man cave.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

How old is the pennant? Depending on how valuable it is, you may be better off not doing anything to it. A dusty, dirty, or stained pennant will be worth more than one that was damaged in an attempt to clean it.

The lint roller may make it fuzz up and whatever you do, don't toss it in the washing machine. If your careful, you might be able to clean it with a dust buster. Just don't let it get sucked up into the dust buster.

If you do decide to clean it, my advice would be to try your chosen cleaning method on another disposable pennant made of the same material first. Good luck.

I'm curious, what W.S are the mugs from and are the pennants also from the W.S?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

You also might try patting it down with a dryer sheet. That should remove any loose dust. But again, try it on another pennant (made with the same material) that you don't care about first.
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

The worst thing you can do to an antique is clean it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    The worst thing you can do to an antique is clean it.
    Not really. You shouldn't try to restore it, but cleaning it? Yeah, you can do that. That is like saying don't dust your furniture. That is silly, of course you should.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really. You shouldn't try to restore it, but cleaning it? Yeah, you can do that. That is like saying don't dust your furniture. That is silly, of course you should.
    If someone doesn't know what they are doing, they can destroy the value of an antique by cleaning it. Even cans of furniture polish and carpet cleaner suggest that you first test in an inconspicuous area.

The worst thing you can do to an antique is destroy the patina.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    If someone doesn't know what they are doing, they can destroy the value of an antique by cleaning it. Even cans of furniture polish and carpet cleaner suggest that you first test in an inconspicuous area.

The worst thing you can do to an antique is destroy the patina.
    I don't think theres anything really that old, it seems to be largely easily reproduced stuff like photos of the key members of the BRM (Rose, Bench, Griffey Sr, etc) nothing really awe striking like signatures. The pennants seem to be rather run of the mill stuff. The only exception to it was one that had all the 1990 Reds "signatures" on it.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Photo of some of the stuff. I will go into further detail in another post want to get everything posted for detail.

William Arthur Ward

Stuff 2.

William Arthur Ward

Final one.

William Arthur Ward

The pics of the BRM infield and Foster, Geronimo and Griffey are cool. I have never seen them before and I thought I had seen them all.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    With the mugs, let them ride on Ebay. Someone will want them for their man cave.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Stuff 2.
    The pennant with Mr. Redlegs and the tassles is interesting. Is that made of of wool or felt? Is that pin stuck in it or just laying on top?

I think it's jpg number five.

After looking at the photos, I believe I would skip the cleaning. No sense taking a chance and it won't really help the value that much any way. If your just wanting to clean them up for yourself, another thing you might try is distilled water and a slightly damp, lint free cloth. Pat the pennants though, don't wipe them. Avoid using stain cleaners like you would avoid bunting with two strikes.

If you do decide to clean them, how about posting up your method and results. I'd be interested in how it turned out.

Turn Off Ads?