Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Postseason question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Postseason question...

With the postseason format changing, I have a question. Will the Division champ with the best record play the winner of the two wild card games irregardless of what division that winner comes out of? I.E., let's say the Rangers end up with the best record in the AL. If the A's and Angels are the two wild card teams, will the Rangers play the winner of that play in game, even if the winner is from their own division?

Re: Postseason question...

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    With the postseason format changing, I have a question. Will the Division champ with the best record play the winner of the two wild card games irregardless of what division that winner comes out of? I.E., let's say the Rangers end up with the best record in the AL. If the A's and Angels are the two wild card teams, will the Rangers play the winner of that play in game, even if the winner is from their own division?
    I believe you are correct.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Someone asked Jason Stark in his chat this week that same question. He said yes, the old rule of not playing a team in your own division in the first round has been done away with.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Thanks guys. Wow......so the team with the best record in baseball, travels in game one, to a potential division foe to play a best of 5 game series. And games one and two are on the road. That's pretty ludicrous. Why doesn't the wild card travel to the division winner?

Thanks guys. Wow......so the team with the best record in baseball, travels in game one, to a potential division foe to play a best of 5 game series. And games one and two are on the road. That's pretty ludicrous. Why doesn't the wild card travel to the division winner?
    It's a pretty crappy setup this year due to scheduling issues. They decided late in the process to make the change in playoff formatting, and they didn't have time to do the normal 2-2-1 format with the WC team playing the team with the best overall record. So, it's def. a huge inconvenience. But, the WC team does have to probably pitch their best pitcher in one of the last few games of the year, and he probably won't be available for game 1, and maybe not game 2. So a huge advantage there for the division winner.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It's a pretty crappy setup this year due to scheduling issues. They decided late in the process to make the change in playoff formatting, and they didn't have time to do the normal 2-2-1 format with the WC team playing the team with the best overall record. So, it's def. a huge inconvenience. But, the WC team does have to probably pitch their best pitcher in one of the last few games of the year, and he probably won't be available for game 1, and maybe not game 2. So a huge advantage there for the division winner.
    Why can't the WC team just fly to the Division winner's place? Take the travel day out, for one year, since they decided this so late. Hell, teams do it all year.

It is horrible process for this year. They have said it because of the travel schedule that they are doing this. I expect this current format will last one year only. It is ridiculous to put a division winner at an immediate disadvantage against a one game wild card winner in a short series.

So I think by 2013 they will work out some better schedule but unfortunately this year we are stuck with this.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 08-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Can't you just imagine this epic 17 inning WC game taking place between an east coast team and a west coast team, and the team that has to go play them already on one coast or the other stuck at the airport not knowing which way to go until 2 AM or something? I think maybe it's better to be the team with the 2nd best record in the league.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Can't you just imagine this epic 17 inning WC game taking place between an east coast team and a west coast team, and the team that has to go play them already on one coast or the other stuck at the airport not knowing which way to go until 2 AM or something? I think maybe it's better to be the team with the 2nd best record in the league.
    That was exactly what I was thinking. It's idiotic. Why not make the WC team be the one that gets on the plane, and flies to the team with the best record. I can fathom why.....it's because the TV trucks and equipment are already at the WC stadium.

I can fathom why.....it's because the TV trucks and equipment are already at the WC stadium.
    Not if the road WC team wins

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Good point, never thought of that. So then there is no good reason why it is the way it is.

I can fathom why.....it's because the TV trucks and equipment are already at the WC stadium.

Well, the Reds actually have a pretty good road record.. Maybe the best in the NL Central (at least a week or two ago).

The interesting thing is.. let's say the Reds end up with the best NL record.
    Homer or Leake is going to be in the postgame rotation.
    If the Reds play game 1 on the road, do you go ahead and start Leake in game 1 or 2, since his road splits are so much better? (I can't recall Homer's road splits now).. Then you save Ceuto or Latos for game 3.

I think the team that plays the WC is going to have a huge advantage, which is magnified by no travel day.. Remember in 1999, when the Reds had the sudden death game? They ended up bringing Neagle in relief, and burned up their whole pen , IIRC.. If the Reds had won and had to play a game the next day, they'd be at a disadvantage.

As of now, it looks like the NL WC has a good chance to be some combo of Pitt, STL, Atlanta, and LA. (with LA currently the 4th best record).. Looks like if the Reds end up with the best record, their travel will not be too bad.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

In my best Jim Mora voice......

POSTSEASON? POSTSEASON?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    In my best Jim Mora voice......

POSTSEASON? POSTSEASON?
    Notice, I specifically left the Reds out of my scenario.

Turn Off Ads?