Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Role of the Closer

The Role of the Closer

I didn't see much discussion, if any, on this yesterday but I am amazed, though not surprised, as how the Reds use their closer. Yesterday was a prime example. I wanted Champman to get that last out in the 8th as things progressed and not just an after the fact, knee jerk reaction. You have a "lights out" closer who had the previous two days off. Why not use him? I think the situation called for it...the rest, the losing streak, etc. I see other teams do it...today for example...I see Soriano in the 8th against the Tigers. Joe Nathan pitched two innings last week against the Angels...maybe twice if I am not mistaken. I would rather us Champman in that situation for four outs rather than not see him at all as it turned out. I realize we have Broxton for a reason but sometimes you have to throw out the book.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Role of the Closer

Broxton had done nothing to warrant being pulled. I don't necessarily disagree with your premise but, IMO, it didn't apply yesterday.

They had two 'excuse me' hits, that happened to find grass. Broxton was making good pitches. I realize most over whelmed by Chapman, but his time is the 9th, and no need to change it up, by giving him MORE innings, when it is becoming more obvious, that our arms, that have carried us all year, are wearing out, and the offense still can't score runs, from scoring position.

Broxton has been with the Reds a week now. I don't think it's such a great idea to just hand the keys over in the 8th to him no questions asked. I like the idea of bringing Chapman in with 2 outs in the 8th, in a spot where you can't give up a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    Broxton has been with the Reds a week now. I don't think it's such a great idea to just hand the keys over in the 8th to him no questions asked. I like the idea of bringing Chapman in with 2 outs in the 8th, in a spot where you can't give up a hit.
    Broxton had 20 something saves for the Royals. He is a late inning guy, and this is the job he was brought in to do. 2 guys fought off great pitches, and they fell for cheap hits. It's not like Broxton was tossing up meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Broxton had 20 something saves for the Royals. He is a late inning guy, and this is the job he was brought in to do. 2 guys fought off great pitches, and they fell for cheap hits. It's not like Broxton was tossing up meat.
    Yeah but he's given up more hits then IP on the year. I think his 23 saves are misleading. I still like Chapman for 1 strikeout in that situation.
    Last edited by jback76; 08-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Yeah but he's given up more hits then IP on the year. I think his 23 saves are misleading. I still like Chapman for 1 strikeout in that situation.
    IMO. AC has shown more than once, that he cannot go more than one inning. We have seen that show, and let's not mess with chemistry.

They had two 'excuse me' hits, that happened to find grass. Broxton was making good pitches. I realize most over whelmed by Chapman, but his time is the 9th, and no need to change it up, by giving him MORE innings, when it is becoming more obvious, that our arms, that have carried us all year, are wearing out, and the offense still can't score runs, from scoring position.
    I agree in most situations but using him in this type of role under certain circumstances seems logical to me. It's not about what Broxton was doing but rather what Chapman brings. 1 1/3 of an inning here and there shouldn't be a big deal, imo, especially for a guy many think should be starting anyway.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Broxton had done nothing to warrant being pulled. I don't necessarily disagree with your premise but, IMO, it didn't apply yesterday.
    Agree completely. Broxton made some nice pitches. They just got dinked and dunked for weak hits.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

IMO. AC has shown more than once, that he cannot go more than one inning. We have seen that show, and let's not mess with chemistry.
    Yeah, team chemistry

Game, set, and match!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swartz View Post
    Game, set, and match!!!
    Yes, I win!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

How K-Rod and Axford still get regular playing time boggles my mind.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I fundamentally agree with you re: Chaps getting 4 outs on occasion. Friday's game showed the logic behind it, and that Dusty will do it when the situation begs for it.

However, I just wanted to point out that after watching a few of Brox's appearances with the Royals as well as his appearences for us, that I'm not overly concerned with his H/IP ratio, as the infield defense in the KC games was HORRIBLE, and I think that Valdez should have had the looping liner that ended up consting us the game against Milwaukee Thursday. In KC there were 2-3 plays not made which our IF's would have made in their sleep. I think with our defense his H/IP will come into line. Also, his being a heavy groundball pitcher will help him in GABP.

So I'm not that troubled by him being our main 8th inning guy.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post

So I'm not that troubled by him being our main 8th inning guy.
    He needs to be on a short leash, especially after the last two outings. Any sign of trouble, pull him, already have someone else ready.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Turn Off Ads?