Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto out additional 7-10 days

Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Do you really believe that the potential for 'emotions' and slight differences that players have in relation to their line-up position makes us essentially equal to able to construct a line-up as we do to perform a significant medical procedure? I'm never going to buy that one.

Honestly, I think the stats would show that there might be slight differences in the stuff you are talking about, but at least 90% of line-up construction is based on being able to understand very easy mathematics. You just can't say anything close to that about doctors no matter how you spin it.

We as posters wont be able to fairly criticize doctors here unless Reds players consistently begin getting recurring injuries or their DL trips are consistently longer than expected.

If I recall, most of Krem's complaints were surrounding Griffey's constant surgeries and issues, and general unpredictability. I think time showed that Griffey was simply broken from his high gear level of play from his early years and demanding position. Considering that players from multiple different sports, and even other baseball teams have significant surgeries performed by Krem, I think its fair to say the guy is earning his paycheque despite Votto's relapse. Not to mention the health of the Reds starting pitching, the argument just can't be made.
    Let me ask you this...

Do you have a job? Do you work more effectively at your job if you're feeling well, feeling happy and enjoy where you work and who you work for? If you like the role you play at your employment?

Well, why wouldn't those things apply to baseball? Many baseball players have said they're not comfortable at certain spots in the order. Are you saying you don't believe them? Why wouldn't human psychology apply to them too?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

For what its worth..

This is an internet bulletin board, not a formal debate or a court of law or a medical board. If people want to throw out their opinions about Kremchek whether they are half-, fully-, or not-at-all- baked, seems that this is the place. I mean, what the hell? Just because you don't know what you're talking about has nothing to do with it. It's the internet. Blather away.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Ugh admins close this mess of a thread. So far off topic...
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Let me ask you this...

Do you have a job? Do you work more effectively at your job if you're feeling well, feeling happy and enjoy where you work and who you work for? If you like the role you play at your employment?

Well, why wouldn't those things apply to baseball? Many baseball players have said they're not comfortable at certain spots in the order. Are you saying you don't believe them? Why wouldn't human psychology apply to them too?
    If they throw me in a dark room and make me use an abacus, yes, I wont be as happy as productive.

But it's also possible that Zack Cozart does not care if he's batting 1st or 7th... he certainly has not had an approach that would suggest he is comfortable at the top of the order, nor have the other guys who have been continuously misplaced. Statistical analysis over large samples can be used to mostly prove whether this stuff exists within a material amount.

Anyways, I think other are right. This isn't going anywhere. Of course everyone can believe what they want, but as for all, this is a discussion board, there wouldn't be much discussion if there wasn't disagreement....

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

You keep harping on the Ondrusek thing. But Ondrusek's career OPS against is over 30 points better than an average NL reliever. Whether you like it or not, he's gotten the job done more than not. To suggest using him is blatantly wrong doesn't align with what's actually happened over the course of his career thus far. Maybe at some point the regression fairy will adjust his overall numbers to fall in line with what people here seem to believe, but as long as he keeps getting the job done, I don't see how people can continue to say Dusty is "blatantly wrong" for using him in tight situations. Results do matter. Ondrusek's overall results, not his theoretical stats, continue to be better than an average pitcher.
    I don't think a relief pitcher who "gets the job done more often than not" should be praised simply because he's beter than 50/50. I think a higher standard needs to be reached.

A division contender with an elite relief core should not be using a "slightly above average" reliever in high leverage situations. Ondrusek deserves a spot in a major league bullpen. He does not deserve a spot at the back end of a winning ballclub's bullpen.

Can we get this thread back on track? This is for discussion of Votto's injury and recovery, not Baker's managerial style or the analysis of multiple truths.

If you want to discuss Baker, there are a number of threads to do that in. Please take that discussion elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

High five!

If Votto is out longer with leg problems and they have to amputate, what should his prosthesis be?

I say, an alligator. Think of how many bases he could steal because the 1st baseman would be afraid to hold him on!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    If Votto is out longer with leg problems and they have to amputate, what should his prosthesis be?

I say, an alligator. Think of how many bases he could steal because the 1st baseman would be afraid to hold him on!

I say Patrick Duffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm really disappointed to see that such a lengthy debate went on in this thread on a completely unrelated topic when there are numerous other threads (or even a new one) that could have been used for that discussion.

I am also disappointed the discussion continued even after a poster or two pointed this out. At some point, you need to be able to self police yourself. It should have never required a moderator telling the discussion to cease in this thread to realize a thread on Joey Votto's injury is not the place to have a lengthy discussion on Dusty's managerial ability.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/...ounders-again/

Votto out taking grounders today... But, won't be making the trip to Philly with the team. So, maybe a return of Aug 24th.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Jim Day said on the air that he doesn't think we should expect to see Votto until at least September 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Jim Day said on the air that he doesn't think we should expect to see Votto until at least September 1st.
    As long as it takes to get him 100%, but damn this is taking a lot of time. Can't wait (hopefully) to see Phillips, Votto, the hot Ludwick, Bruce in the 2-5 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I have a feeling that his insider for this information was Miguel Cairo
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I have a feeling that his insider for this information was Miguel Cairo
    You can laugh....I am not. But not mad at you.....They are that afraid of releasing Cairo? How pathetic is that?

I mean......what is he supposed to do? Never slide again? How can it be this bad?

Never made sense of the team to predict only an added week when most scopes typically take 3 weeks or so to get back from
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?