Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 174

Thread: Votto out additional 7-10 days

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    It's not just Votto coming back, which I'm sure he will within the next couple of weeks. I'm worried about him having enough time to get back into a groove. Missing a month and a half in the middle of the season is going to mean Joey will have at least some adjustment to get his swing back to where it was pre-ASB.
    Votto will hit. In fact, I'd argue that he'll be fresh and hitting against pitchers who're almost worn out. With the ball carrying in the late summer air. The late season additions of Votto and Massett should are huge, IMO, especially if things tighten up in the pennant race.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,621

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    He was basically back in 4 weeks, then hurt in sliding practice, so I'm not sure why you are being so condescending as if people were idiots when the timetable was pretty much on track to the original 3-4 weeks except for the second injury.
    Second injuries, tweaks, tightness, etc. -- they happen constantly when attempting to rehab injuries or recover from surgery, no matter how minor. Everyone is "on track" to come back on schedule until they hit one of these snags and then they suddenly aren't.

    The point is this: never EVER believe or count on the best-case timetable with an injury.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  4. #123
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    He needs to be back before Sept 1 (to be eligible for the playoffs) right?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  5. #124
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,950

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    He needs to be back before Sept 1 (to be eligible for the playoffs) right?
    No.

  6. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,519

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    He needs to be back before Sept 1 (to be eligible for the playoffs) right?
    He's on the DL, that's the same as being on the active roster.

  7. #126
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Side (No Diggity)
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Think about a rested, hungry Votto in Sept and Oct.

    Yes, there will be a period of adjustment. But Joey, of all players, is probably the least to worry about. He falls out of bed hitting doubles.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

  8. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    854

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    . He falls out of bed hitting doubles.
    False.

    He is still asleep when he hits doubles. He hits homeruns when he actually falls out of bed.

    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

  9. #128
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,528

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    The second surgery was 8 days ago, a 10 minute procedure. There is no time table for his return. According to him he still has pain. When should we be concerned? I'm not trying to start anything on the board, but this thing has not gone well or at the very least, not according to plan.
    I hadn't heard that. How long ago did he say that he still has pain?

  10. #129
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I hadn't heard that. How long ago did he say that he still has pain?
    I'm on my phone so I can't really go get it but I think it was on Reds.com. Thats what started my concern yesterday.

  11. #130
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,528

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm on my phone so I can't really go get it but I think it was on Reds.com. Thats what started my concern yesterday.
    Thanks.

    Here it is:

    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

    This isn't what I wanted to hear. We're looking at Sept 1 at the earliest and if he isn't activated then, we've got some real questions to ask

  12. #131
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,567

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Second injuries, tweaks, tightness, etc. -- they happen constantly when attempting to rehab injuries or recover from surgery, no matter how minor. Everyone is "on track" to come back on schedule until they hit one of these snags and then they suddenly aren't.

    The point is this: never EVER believe or count on the best-case timetable with an injury.
    So you're laughing insultingly at people based on your own anecdotal evidence that leads to an absolute statement? OK, that tells me how seriously to take the jab.

    Plus, you are doing some rationalizing here. The facts of this case was that he was injured in pregame workouts that had him on schedule to return in 4 weeks, which was right on target with the original estimate. It wasn't a snag, it was an injury of the same body part.

    BTW, I'll be glad to take a peak at the evidence for your position.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #132
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,621

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So you're laughing insultingly at people based on your own anecdotal evidence that leads to an absolute statement? OK, that tells me how seriously to take the jab.

    Plus, you are doing some rationalizing here. The facts of this case was that he was injured in pregame workouts that had him on schedule to return in 4 weeks, which was right on target with the original estimate. It wasn't a snag, it was an injury of the same body part.

    BTW, I'll be glad to take a peak at the evidence for your position.
    I'm sure it's roughly the same amount of evidence that you'll be presenting to the contrary.

    Snags include re-injury -- a pitcher who starts throwing and re-injures his shoulder, or feels soreness and has to "shut it down" for a little while. It's the risk you run when you're attempting to recover and regain strength at the same time. It isn't rationalization -- it's an understanding of how to treat estimates being given out by team medical staffs and beat writers.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  14. #133
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Just because he has snoreness 2 days ago doesn't mean it won't be gone 3 days from now... I've been there done that before... Wake up one day and can't move the knee and 3 days later it feels like its brand new....

    Give it some time... He'll be back...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  15. #134
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,341

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    I don't think anyone should be concerned that he still feels pain. That's likely to be the case the rest of this season. As long as the pain isn't severe and is just soreness, he's fine.

  16. #135
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,567

    Re: Votto out additional 7-10 days

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm sure it's roughly the same amount of evidence that you'll be presenting to the contrary.

    Snags include re-injury -- a pitcher who starts throwing and re-injures his shoulder, or feels soreness and has to "shut it down" for a little while. It's the risk you run when you're attempting to recover and regain strength at the same time. It isn't rationalization -- it's an understanding of how to treat estimates being given out by team medical staffs and beat writers.
    I provided evidence for my position, which is that this return from injury was within the stated estimates until a reinjury occurred. I can see, though, that you are going to define things in a way that it attempts to keep your point in tact, so this is my last response.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25