Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What would it take for you to renew Dusty's contract?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wild card winners

5 4.85%
  • NL Central champs

30 29.13%
  • Win one playoff series

17 16.50%
  • Win the NL pennant

15 14.56%
  • Win the World Series

5 4.85%
  • I don't care if we win it all, he still has to go

12 11.65%
  • I don't care if we miss the playoffs, I want him back regardless of what happens

19 18.45%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take for you to renew Dusty?

What would it take for you to renew Dusty?

Let's talk about the elephant in the room over there in the corner... Dusty's contract situation.

He's currently a lame duck, and with the way the Reds are performing, he's at least giving himself a chance to get an extension. If you're Walt, what does it take from the team down the stretch for you to renew Dusty? Is a simple playoff spot enough, do we have to win the World Series, or would even that not be enough for some of you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would it take for you to renew Dusty?

I can see them and think they should go to the WS at least. A 1st round exit will not be horrible unless they get swept and play badly.

The guy should get credit by now. The players absolutely stand behind him and that means a lot for a club that has finally been competitive again the last few years. As such, if they win the division, he should get rewarded. The playoffs are a crapshoot anyhow.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

A thing I can't identify marcshoe's Avatar

I think he's already earned his keep.
    “The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.”
    ― Madeleine L'Engle

My Goodreads Author Page

Expectations are higher-he'd have to win at least one playoff series.

In terms of acquiring future organizational talent, it is not wise for a team to fire a manager who just won a division. So if he wins the Central, no doubt I keep him.

I do care whether we make the playoffs, but I don't believe we need to make the playoffs in order to be hired.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I don't always agree with Dusty's descions, but who'd available that may be better? Terry Francona is the only one that comes to mind. I would sign Dusty no matter what. He has done a very good job of handling these injuries and keeping everyone on top of their game. It would have been easy for this team t have folded with Votto and Phillips out. They didn't and Dusty deserves quite a bit of credit for that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

It's tough for me to imagine a scenario where Baker is not extended, save a devastating collapse. If I was Jocketty, I would need to have four or five slam dunk candidates that I know would take the job before even thinking about not extending hhi and his staff. Your expectations for this team should not correlate to whether to renew Bakers contract.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

If we make the playoffs, I don't see how you can let him go.

This season's set up to where there is no reason for them not to make the playoffs, barring a major collapse. If they fail to do so, then, I'd say, he's gone.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

He's earned the privilege of keeping the job, IMO. He's been the best Reds manager since McKeon. The roster is Walts responsibility, and I value stability in an organization.

Ryan Ludwick may have saved Dusty's job, I think a case can be made for that.

I don't agree with all of his in game decisions, by any means, but he knows these men, what they can do, and more importantly, what they cannot do.

I'd give him 2 more years, and he probably wouldn't want more than that, to be honest- he's made a ton of money in the game and is no spring chicken any more. Let Dave Bell keep learning in AAA; I think he's probably in the on deck circle.

There's always a possibility that Dusty may be ready to hang it up, especially if the Reds are highly successful in the postseason. His son is getting to the age where he will be involved in more school activities, and I could see Dusty wanting to take an active role as a supportive father.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think it's time for Dusty to earn that big pay. It's win a playoff series for me. He's earned respect for how he runs a clubhouse from me, but his tactical skills leave a lot to be desired. If he doesn't win a playoff series, I can see them landing Francona. That being said, if they make the playoffs I wouldn't have a problem with them extending him. I'd just be disappointed, more so than losing in 2010.

If Dusty were to leave, who would Jocketty turn to? Would he coax TLR out of his one-year retirement? Gosh, Dusty's sounding better already.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-11-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?