Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New traditions, a baseball trip

New traditions, a baseball trip

So this year my brother in law and I have decided to take a baseball trip together. No wives, just a good old fashioned guys road trip.

On Labor Day weekend we will visit Washington to see the Nats take on the Cards, Cleveland to see the Indians and the Rangers, Detroit to watch the Tigers and the White Sox, and finally on Sunday to Chicago to see the Cubs and the Giants.

Who else has this kind of trip each year with a brother, buddy, father, or family? Any suggestions in general? Any suggestions specific to those places?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New traditions, a baseball trip

Not every year. But I've taken a trip like that with a friend of mine about 5 times over the past 10 years. Four times I've been to Cincinnati since I'm a Reds fan but rarely get to see them. He's a Mets fan, but just likes taking the road trip. Once we went to Baltimore to see Camden Yards.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I've come to Cincy most every year since the summer of 1996 with my two sons. Twice in 2000 to see opening day with Griffey also.

Sounds like you'll be in DC on Thursday night? My recommendation is to plan on lots of traffic, find the outermost metrorail, (which assuming you'll be coming down 270 would be Shady Grove metro) and do the park and ride. Enjoy downtown if you have time then hit the green/yellow line and get out at Navy Yard and walk 2 blocks to the gates. I never drive inside the beltway if I can avoid it, but especially not on what would in essence be a Friday night with the holiday weekend!

Enjoy the games, I'm jealous!
    Is it "next season" yet?

I used to do them a lot with my buddy. We hit about 13-14 stadiums and then he got married. Now he goes on the trips with his wife.

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned. Be on the lookout for the giant Tiger statues outside Comerica (kind of hard to miss). They're a cool photo spot. Enjoy!
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

My wife and I used to do this before we had kids. Now that they are 4 and 6, we actually went by ourselves to San Fran this year to watch the Reds, and I think starting next year we are going to take the Kids as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Who else has this kind of trip each year with a brother, buddy, father, or family? Any suggestions in general? Any suggestions specific to those places?
    I'm calling sexism on this post, Joseph

My friends and I did this in 2006. That was our Midwest leg -- we went to PNC, GABP (my first time at both), and Wrigley (I was living in Chicago at the time). We had a blast. One of the best parts of the whole trip was listening to Ron Santo self-destruct during a game that lasted almost our entire drive through Indiana.

I remember that planning was more complicated than I expected. We were coming from a few different places, as far away as Seattle, which is why we only made it to three parks in the end (we had initially hoped for 4-5). But so worth it.

We were supposed to do this every year or every other year, and seeing as that was six years ago, that hasn't quite happened. We have done little trips to single ballparks that are not hard to do because we're so spread out -- one of us lives in Baltimore now, etc. One thing we have always wanted to do is do a fairly long trip, northern West Coast (Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland) and include the Summer Solstice game that they play on midnight in Fairbanks, AK. I've always wanted to see Alaska and that seems like it would be the perfect time. Someday.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm calling sexism on this post, Joseph

My friends and I did this in 2006. That was our Midwest leg -- we went to PNC, GABP (my first time at both), and Wrigley (I was living in Chicago at the time). We had a blast. One of the best parts of the whole trip was listening to Ron Santo self-destruct during a game that lasted almost our entire drive through Indiana.
    That never got old. I would do this going through Illinois on my way back to Iowa to visit my family. One time they were playing the White Sox and the Cubs were self-destructing. I'm pretty sure they were playing at US Cellular and it kept getting worse and worse and the music played "Charge!" or something and Santo said, "Aw, shut up!"

I remember that planning was more complicated than I expected. We were coming from a few different places, as far away as Seattle, which is why we only made it to three parks in the end (we had initially hoped for 4-5). But so worth it.

We were supposed to do this every year or every other year, and seeing as that was six years ago, that hasn't quite happened. We have done little trips to single ballparks that are not hard to do because we're so spread out -- one of us lives in Baltimore now, etc. One thing we have always wanted to do is do a fairly long trip, northern West Coast (Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland) and include the Summer Solstice game that they play on midnight in Fairbanks, AK. I've always wanted to see Alaska and that seems like it would be the perfect time. Someday.
    If you like minor league ball, you may want to center your next trip at your friend in Baltimore. That area has several minor league teams not to mention the Nats and Os. Philly's not far away either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For about 10 years straight myself, my dad, and my brother went on a baseball trip.

Off the top of my head we did:
    Pitt-Phillies-Yankees-Red Sox-
    Toronto-Detroit-Cleveland
    Atlanta-Tampa-Miami
    Milwaukee-Minnesota-Kansas City-St.Louis
    Texas-Houston
    Yankees-Mets-Washington-Baltimore

I've been to every park east of Colorado because of it. It was my favorite week of the year. Sadly because I got old and got a job, we haven't gone the last couple years.

If you're looking for one to do and the schedules work out right, Mets-Yankees-Philly-Baltimore-D.C. are all pretty close together. That's where I would start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

My cousin and I used to take baseball trips. Some of the best times of my life and some long lasting memories were formed.

2007 we went to Milwaukee and Minnesota
    2008 we went to New York and Boston

Scattered out among those were day trips to Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit.

My wife and I have started taking mini trips of our own lately. We have added St. Louis, Baltimore and Washington to the list.

It is an absolute must for me in every city we go to to have a local pizza delivered to the hotel. I don't want a chain like Pizza Hut, I want a mom and pop joint. I also love watching local news in each city, as well (I'm a nerd).
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

My friends and I usually take a baseball-related trip every summer, but we just hit one city. We go to a game or two, then spend time in the local brewpubs and eateries. They missed out on Cooperstown this year. Maybe next year we'll hit Seattle.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We usually travel and try to include a ball game someplace. We have gone home to see the Red Sox in Boston a few times, to Cincinnati for the Reds, Kansas City to see the Royals, the Rangers three times, and we are going to St. Louis to see the Reds versus the Cards on October 3. We have been to Cooperstown. We usually see the Sea Dogs when in Portland, Maine.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

My buddies and I used to do this every year BM (before marriage). It usually included the Reds,but one year we headed up to Cleveland to what was once Jacobs (these corporate names just ruin the game IMHO. Could we ever keep a straight face if Fenway was called Citgo Field?). Anyway, this pretty much stopped when the boy came along, but lately it's been me, him and a friend heading to Cincinnati, staying in Covington at the Embassy or Hampton and walking across the bridge to either Riverfront or GABP. We've done the Pittsburgh thing to, but quit when we were treated shabbily. When he was in school at WVU, he made the trip up to PNC several times without incident, but that was before the "great resurgance. I expect that might be different now.

A few years ago, the wife and I headed out west to Dodger Stadium, and as much as I hate the Dodgers (or used to when we were rivals), I loved Dodger Stadium. The food, the cleanliness of the stadium, and the people were fantastic. Unless things have changed, I highly recommnend it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?