Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chapman in the Cy Young race?

Is Chapman in the Cy Young race?

I saw them talking on Sunday Night Baseball about whether Chapman and Kimbrel are in the Cy Young race, and the analysts were saying that they think they are because not only are they having extrordinary seasons, but there isn't a starting pitcher who is completely dominating this year. Do you guys think Chapman has a shot at the Cy Young this year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Chapman in the Cy Young race?

Yes

No doubt might set records in K/9 and % of batters he strikes out.

Now let me ask another question: with all bias aside, if the season ended today, would he win it?

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Now let me ask another question: with all bias aside, if the season ended today, would he win it?
    It's been a while since a reliever has won it, but with these numbers, yes.

The guy is absolutely dominating this year, and I think he should remain the closer.

As a starter he would need to take a little off his fastball, and add at least a third pitch. As closer he can come in throwing 100 with the occasional slider, and blow hitters away.

He keeps up what he's doing and the big shot starters don't blow anyone away.....

K Rod had 62 saves and didn't win.

He is top 5 right now....as is Cueto

Yes, if he can wrestle it from Cueto. Oh, I forgot - according to a number of posters Cueto isn't an Ace.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

He can't win. The Cy Young voters have never voted for a Red, no matter how dominant. No Seaver, no Soto, no Rijo...NO REDS, ever.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

EMAW

his ERA against the National League is absolutely ridiculous (best ever???)
    if the Reds when the Central and he keeps this up, CY Young and possible MVP

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    If the season ended today probably not. But we have 47 games left. I think even with any strikeout records he'd have to lead the league in saves. But I think he'll end up leading the league in saves, the Reds play a lot of low scoring close games.

Anybody else getting the "we don't like young men, we want you" ad above or is that ad just following me around web page to web page?

Cy Young is given to the best pitcher in the league. In terms of most valuable pitcher, I think Chapman should be up there.

What is more valuable than a near perfect 9th inning in a close game? The guy has 28 saves. That is 28 wins that he has sealed for a first place team that is contending for best record in the MLB.

What I think is amazing is looking at the strikeout number amongst the Reds pitching staff. For strikeouts, Latos and Cueto are leading with 130 and 127 respectively and 141 and 161 innings pitched respectively. However, Chapman is at 106 SO's with only 57 innings pitched. That is nearly 2 strikeouts an inning. Also, his overall batting average against is .127 which is more than 100 points lower than Cueto's.

Don't get me wrong, Cueto is a great SP and should be up there in Cy Young, but I think this team would be in 2nd maybe 3rd place in the Central if not for Chapman doing his thing in the 9th, which I think makes him not only the most valuable pitcher in the Reds staff, but also, in the league as well.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Even with the three consecutive saves over the weekend, Chapman is tied for sixth in the majors in saves. So no, I'd say he's definitely not in the Cy Young race.

I would say in the conversation, but not at the top.
    I think Cueto and Chapman will split some of the votes, vs. all going to a dominant pitcher on the team. This will prevent either from winning. IF things stay as they are now, Dickey wins, and wins comfortably.
    My guess at the vote, right now:
    1. Dickey
    2. Cueto
    3/4. Burnett/Gonzalez
    5. Chapman
    6. Kimbrel

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    his ERA against the National League is absolutely ridiculous (best ever???)
    if the Reds when the Central and he keeps this up, CY Young and possible MVP
    I was going to ask whether or not NL vs. AL numbers would be considered for the Cy Young voting, and you touched upon the NL numbers.

Vs. NL 4-1, 0.17 ERA, 26/27 Saves, 51.2 IP, 18 Hits, 1 ER, 0 HR, Opp Avg .104, 13 BB, 99 K

These are INSANE...but like I'm asking, do the NL numbers mean anything in the Cy Young voting? I lean towards no.
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?