Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton for Playoffs?

Billy Hamilton for Playoffs?

I know this is on the ORG, but I cannot contribute to that part of the forums yet so I thought I would add my two cents here.

I think you definitely need to call up Hamilton for September if not for the playoff roster. A lot of people are arguing about burning option years, but I think he needs to be up with in the majors regardless of adding an extra option year. Look, come 2015 or 2016, who knows where this ball club will be at. They could be a similar team we have now or they could be like the Phillies.

What we do know is that our major league roster is winning now and the chemistry in there is good. Why not expose Hamilton to what we have now? We have guys like Rolen, Arroyo, and Cairo who are experienced veterans that can be big influences on the kid.

I say come Aug 31st, you have Cairo come down with some back problem and DL him. Bring up Hamilton. That way, you have him for the playoffs if needed. I also think a lot of guys are underestimating the value of a pinch runner, especially in the playoffs. If it is a close game and Rolen walks in the bottom of the 9th to lead things off. Why not bring in Hamilton to steal for scoring position or even a sacrifice fly?

Also, I think Hamilton could gain some experience at shortstop come September. Cozart is definitely our most consistent starter. He plays nearly everyday and is only a rookie. Why not give him a break once we clinch a playoff spot?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton for Playoffs?

You have to get him on the 40 man roster first, sending Cario to the DL won't be enough to get that done. It will need done anyway whether you call him up in August or September.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I know this is on the ORG, but I cannot contribute to that part of the forums yet so I thought I would add my two cents here.
    There's actually a thread on this very topic in the Sun Deck too, which has been around a top 10 thread since last Thursday.

does the arbitration clock start ticking when a guy is brought up in September when rosters expand? I assume so but never really thought about it before.

thanks

EMAW

Would rather have Cairo. What if Rolen gets the bad back in the middle of the World Series. I am gonna get blasted for sounding like Dusty, but having a steady vet on the bench in the post season would be "BIG TIME IMPORTANT"

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    Would rather have Cairo. What if Rolen gets the bad back in the middle of the World Series. I am gonna get blasted for sounding like Dusty, but having a steady vet on the bench in the post season would be "BIG TIME IMPORTANT"
    I think teams would rather face Cairo pinch-hitting rather than have Hamilton jump in the pinch run in a key spot.

Maybe not.

I wouldn't go with more than 11 pitchers.

"The position-player-for-position-player / pitcher-for-pitcher requirement is indeed now gone for substitutions prior to a series," O'Halloran wrote in an e-mail. "However, teams now are allowed to substitute for an injured player during a series. Such in-series substitutions are position-player-for-position-player / pitcher-for-pitcher, and the injured player cannot be active for the remainder of that series or the next series. Those substitutions also require MLB approval.
    http://www.blessyouboys.com/2011/8/3...ined-hopefully

So, if Rolen was to injure his back during the World Series simply replace him with Cairo. I am assuming the article is factually correct.

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I think teams would rather face Cairo pinch-hitting rather than have Hamilton jump in the pinch run in a key spot.

Maybe not.

I wouldn't go with more than 11 pitchers.
    Who gets left off the playoff roster if we go with 11 (which actually makes sense) plus Massett if healthy might be back? Leake maybe, as no need for 5 starters

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake

LeCure
    Ondrusek
    Marshall
    Broxton
    Chapman
    Arredondo
    Simon

Right now, Ondrusek

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Right now, Ondrusek
    It's nice to have tough choices, remember that bullpen in 2006, 2007?

Yeah I would leave Ondrusek off. Leake is versatile and can possibly play the field as well as pitch. Not to mention his bat is better than Cairo's now.

But I still think Hamilton should be on the playoff roster. Why not let him get some playoff experience? He is part of the future of this franchise anyway and you cannot deny that his speed adds a good element to this team that has otherwise struggled on offense.

I agree. Having a guy who can steal 2nd and maybe even 3rd on a whim late in a playoff game when the Reds need a run would be a huge asset to this team. Even if that is all you bring Hamilton in for, I think it's an easy choice. And I also agree Ondrusek is the easy choice for who to send down. Broxton and Marshall are both capable, and better, at doing what the Reds ask of Ondrusek.

Would Ondrusek still get a ring if we won though? I would hate to see a guy who has been on the team all year miss out because he was not carried into the playoffs.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Would Ondrusek still get a ring if we won though? I would hate to see a guy who has been on the team all year miss out because he was not carried into the playoffs.
    I think anyone who plays a game with the big club gets a ring.

Yes, Mike Costanzo would get a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I think anyone who plays a game with the big club gets a ring.

Yes, Mike Costanzo would get a ring.
    Does that mean that Madson gets a ring? What about the other players on the 40 man roster?

Sorry for the excessive questions. I am relatively new to being an MLB fan (not much to be excited about in my lifetime).

Turn Off Ads?