Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: The Comedy Central Roast...

  1. #1
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    653

    The Comedy Central Roast...

    I am sorry if anyone enjoyed the Roseanne Roast last night, but I think the Roasts are just getting watered down. If you look at the more early roasts of Pam Anderson and Jeff Foxworthy were great. They had a lot of random celebtrities and comedians on the stage. What made them great were that the bits were original and overall the roast featured a lot of different people taking their shot at the star which added a variety of comedy.

    The recent Roasts like the ones of Joan Rivers, Charlie Sheen, and Roseanne have only had like 10 maybe 12 people on the dais who all tell the same jokes.

    One of the best parts of the older Roasts was comedians pointing out the lesser known celebrities on the stage like Dennis Rodman being ripped on in the Pam Anderson one. Don't get me wrong, there were some funny parts in the Roast last night, but it just does not compare to the older ones.

    Hopefully, Comedy Central goes back to their old ways and finds a perfect mix of comedians, celebrities, and a "Roastee" that can bring the annual show back to its roots.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I am sorry if anyone enjoyed the Roseanne Roast last night, but I think the Roasts are just getting watered down. If you look at the more early roasts of Pam Anderson and Jeff Foxworthy were great. They had a lot of random celebtrities and comedians on the stage. What made them great were that the bits were original and overall the roast featured a lot of different people taking their shot at the star which added a variety of comedy.

    The recent Roasts like the ones of Joan Rivers, Charlie Sheen, and Roseanne have only had like 10 maybe 12 people on the dais who all tell the same jokes.

    One of the best parts of the older Roasts was comedians pointing out the lesser known celebrities on the stage like Dennis Rodman being ripped on in the Pam Anderson one. Don't get me wrong, there were some funny parts in the Roast last night, but it just does not compare to the older ones.

    Hopefully, Comedy Central goes back to their old ways and finds a perfect mix of comedians, celebrities, and a "Roastee" that can bring the annual show back to its roots.
    Did you see the Jeff Ross Roasts America show? He goes to theaters, calls people on stage, and goes after them. It is great.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  4. #3
    2013 Champs WDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    274

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    I love all of the roasts. I find them all absolutely hilarious. My favorite roaster would have to be Jeff Ross. That guy makes me laugh the whole time he's up there.

  5. #4
    2013 Champs WDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    274

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    I wasn't able to watch the Roseanne Roast though. Does anybody know if CC is showing it again?

  6. #5
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I love all of the roasts. I find them all absolutely hilarious. My favorite roaster would have to be Jeff Ross. That guy makes me laugh the whole time he's up there.
    I love them too. Lisa Lampanelli (spelling?) is awesome too.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,244

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I wasn't able to watch the Roseanne Roast though. Does anybody know if CC is showing it again?
    Probably another 50 times in the next two months.

  8. #7
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    653

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I love them too. Lisa Lampanelli (spelling?) is awesome too.
    She is a big part of my argument. She was awesome in the Pam Anderson and Flava Flav roasts, but nowadays it seems that CC has put a few lesser known comedians mixed in with a few other washed up celebrities.

    The older roasts had Lampanelli, Giraldo, DePaulo, and Ross with a few celebrities who made some funny comments hear and there.

    The Roseanne one had Ross, Shumer, and Jesselnick (spelling?). I am sorry but Ellen Barkin and Carrie Fischer were terrible. I think CC has also cut some of the jokes and bits out because Gilbert Gottfried was going down the line ripping on the dais, but for some reason skipped half of them.

    I am not saying they are not funny, but they do not compare to the older ones that pushed the limits.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Yeah, Comedy Central cut this joke by Jeff Ross to Seth Green...

    “Seth, congratulations. This is actually a great night for you,” said Ross, who came dressed as Joe Paterno. “You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.” Green, like Holmes on the evening of July 20, has a full head of red hair.
    “I’m kidding,” Ross continued. “You are not like James Holmes. At least he did something in a movie theater that people remember!”

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    I thought Jeselneck was incredible in the Roast of Trump. I thought he was extremely mediocre in the Roast of Roseanne

  11. #10
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    653

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I thought Jeselneck was incredible in the Roast of Trump. I thought he was extremely mediocre in the Roast of Roseanne
    Agreed. I remember Shumer being awesome in one of the other Roasts (can't remember which one), but she wasn't as great in Roseanne's.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  12. #11
    2013 Champs WDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    274

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    Ok, I just watched the Roseanne Roast, and I have to say it wasn't bad. A few things that stood out to me:
    Seth Green was great. I am not a Seth Green fan, but my goodness I had no idea he was that funny. He had me laughing out loud many different times and was a very pleasant suprise.
    Ellen Barkin was tough to watch. Not very funny, and kind of awkward up there on the stage. That was the negative part of it.
    Jane Lynch wasn't terrible, but I wasn't impressed either. I guess good enough, but I had some high expectations for her, and she didn't really exceed them.
    Jeff Ross was good. I'm a big Jeff Ross fan, so I always find him pretty funny.
    Gilbert Gottfried was awesome. I hate his voice, but he was almost as good as Seth Green. I wasn't expecting a lot from him, but he really exceeded my expectations.
    Wayne Brady was good. Just what I expected him to be.
    Amy Schumer was a suprise. Very funny and I enjoyed her when I didn't think I would. Oh, and I watched her stand-up that came on after the roast, and it was very funny.
    Wasn't able to see Anthony Jeselnik. Wish I could've. He is usually pretty funny.
    Last edited by WDE; 08-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

    roasts will never be as good as they once were with dean martin


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25