Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2012--Part Two

Scoreboard Watching 2012--Part Two

Pirates have lost 7 of 11. Uh oh time in Yarrburgh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2012--Part Two

Nationals with a modest 14 runs on 20 hits against the Giants tonight...and they still have runners on as well as another inning to go.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nationals with a modest 14 runs on 20 hits against the Giants tonight...and they still have runners on as well as another inning to go.
    Wow. And Vogelsong started this game too. His line:

2.2 IP, 9 H, 8 ER... ERA bumped up to 2.72. He was at 2.27 when the game started.

Including tonight, Nationals will have won 9 of 10, and sit at 72-44 overall. It'd be a tough series if the Reds ran into them in the playoffs (should they make it there, of course).

LOL.. The National League's ERA title is kryptonite this year. Every time someone gets it, they want to give it away. Sights set on Zimmermann now.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

2.2 IP, 9 H, 8 ER... ERA bumped up to 2.72. He was at 2.27 when the game started.

Including tonight, Nationals will have won 9 of 10, and sit at 72-44 overall. It'd be a tough series if the Reds ran into them in the playoffs (should they make it there, of course).
    Thank god they're shutting down Strasburg by then.

I mean I do like the move for the Reds sake, but now that I've brought it up, I hate it for baseball in general. That franchise hasn't had success in decades, and they're going to get rid of their hammer for the post season. Really a slap in the face to Nats fans and the game overall.

Strasburg will pitch in the playoffs. They'd be silly not to. They should skip a start or 2 in the regular season if they're worried, there's cushion in the standings.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

I mean I do like the move for the Reds sake, but now that I've brought it up, I hate it for baseball in general. That franchise hasn't had success in decades, and they're going to get rid of their hammer for the post season. Really a slap in the face to Nats fans and the game overall.
    IIRC, they are shutting him down now, so he will be available for the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

I was in DC over the weekend helping my son move to his new apartment. I had lunch with an acquaintance who is a huge baseball fan. He was of the mind that Strasburg will be shut down, period, play-offs or not. It's a long haul move that he perfectly understood. In his thinking, the Nats are a year ahead of where they expected to be, so this season is pure gravy. So he didn't see it that way at all. He was very much of the mind that you protect your investment for the long term. This season will handle itself.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The last I heard about Strasburg is that they may extend him to 180 innings. I expect them to cut him back if they keep extending the lead. But in the end he will pitch in the playoffs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think the Strasburg shut down is chasing after the wind. It is just as likely that no matter what they do, he is going to have arm issues. It is a hard place for a franchise to be in, no doubt, a tough decision, but they're already waffling and increasing the limit as the season wears on. Also, if they shut him down, how is that going to affect his performance in the playoffs? He could be rusty, lacking command, and it could create more strain than if they had just spread out the innings more over the course of the season, which seems to be the more logical gameplan than what they have done. They could have skipped a start, given him more rest in the rotation, etc., rather than just using up the budget and having nothing left to spend.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Unlike in 2010, the Reds should do everything possible to gain home field and avoid matching up with the Nats early in the post-season. And that means no vacations for starters after clinching the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Unlike in 2010, the Reds should do everything possible to gain home field and avoid matching up with the Nats early in the post-season. And that means no vacations for starters after clinching the division.
    If the Reds and Nationals both win their respective divisions, the only way they will play each other in the NLDS is if the NL West champion finishes with the best record in the NL.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was in DC over the weekend helping my son move to his new apartment. I had lunch with an acquaintance who is a huge baseball fan. He was of the mind that Strasburg will be shut down, period, play-offs or not. It's a long haul move that he perfectly understood. In his thinking, the Nats are a year ahead of where they expected to be, so this season is pure gravy. So he didn't see it that way at all. He was very much of the mind that you protect your investment for the long term. This season will handle itself.
    A lot of presumption that you will win when you expect to. A bit of arrogance also. "Man, this is only the beginning." See Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Cubs, set for years core, cupboard now bare. I'd say the Nats are negligent for not putting the brakes on "spending" of innings earlier in the season. Also the waffling on the innings limit when the rubber meets the road shows a possible inability to stick to a gameplan.

Are they the 1991 Braves, on the cusp of a decade of greatness with a stable of starting pitchers, or are they the 21st Century Cubs as alluded to above?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I've been thinking about matchups too, and you're right. But the Reds would then likely face San Fran or LA. They don't play well in big ballparks, so again, the home field advantage is really needed. Best scenario has the Reds finishing with the best record and playing the Braves in the NLDS. Let Washington make the trip out west.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Strasburg will pitch in the playoffs. They'd be silly not to. They should skip a start or 2 in the regular season if they're worried, there's cushion in the standings.
    They and everyone close to them have said repeatedly and since the beginning of the season he will be shut down at some point. It's just a matter of when.

I don't think it's any longer a matter of if. It's more a matter of when. He won't make it to the playoffs. It's hard to say if he'll make it through September.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?